uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 22 - Michigan State

uneblinstu

That was a frustrating game to watch.

- If that is what we have to look forward to from Jordy Tshimanga in the future, sign me up! Best we've seen of him yet.

- Unfortunately, we didn't get anything else from anybody other than Tai and a little from Glynn. Anything would have helped.

- I don't know if we're at bad 3 point defense or what, but the ability for our opponents to hit an absurd amount of 3's is getting obnoxious.

- Thought we did a great job of getting to the line, but when we get in the bonus with 12 minutes to go in the half, I was hoping they would have been more aggressive with the ball. That was how they were going to get back into the game. Over the next 8 minutes, MSU only had 2 fouls called on 'em.

- Props to MSU. They were really good today on both ends of the floor. In classic MSU/Izzo form, they're rounding into a team that will be ready to go come March.

- It was a real shame we couldn't have played better for Coach Lue on his night. That was a really cool ceremony at halftime and his jersey now hangs in it's rightful place among the greats in program history. Who will be the next to join them? I'll put my money on someone not yet in the program

Edited by uneblinstu

Not saying anything anyone else hasn't already - but 3pt defense has to be fixed. Nothing more deadening that watching us make a run and then give up a dagger. 

I would start with something I've been saying for a quite a bit during Miles tenure - we MUST SWITCH MORE. I have more thoughts on what I believe our mentality should be with post defense, but I don't have the time or energy to hit on them now. 

Terrible 3pt defense is concerning. This is the second season in a row. Didn't really like the energy from the team tonight. They seemed flat. 

I really thought Ed would be back tonight. If I hadn't been so sure I would've predicted us to lose.

Edited by khoock

I'll just say Jordy is still very raw.  Don't anyone go thinking he's suddenly got it all figured out.  I expect he'll have a game like this followed by a game where, like Horne and McVeigh, he disappears and doesn't seem to do much at all.

But his ceiling is so incredibly high.  He put up 15 and 9 against Michigan State as a true freshman who is still very raw.  Think about that.  Sky is the limit for this kid.  I have thought for some time now that he's probably our next NBA 1st round pick.  He has the right measurables.  He's a physical specimen.  He needs some off-season work in the weight room and improving his footwork in the low post.  He clearly has some things he needs to work on.  I don't think his hands are as bad as some might think; I think it's more a matter of speed of the game and upper body strength to hold onto the ball against contact.

But he is light years ahead of where he was against Sacramento State where he played 10 minutes and missed all 7 shots from the floor.  Light years ahead.

Someone made the comment about him shooting 3-pointers that he was only 37% or so from 2-point range.  And that might have been true but it was also misleading.  Over the last 5 games, he's shooting 56% from the field and 62% from the stripe.  In that span, he's averaging 15 minutes, 8.2 points, and 3.6 rebounds.  All of those numbers are very encouraging.

We played very mediocre in first half.  Needed to be tied or in the lead.  Actually thought we played better in 2nd half.  Michigan state hit shots. I thought a lot of their 3s were contested.     If someone is gonnna rose up and hit a 3 with a hand in their face not a lot you can do unless you are totally not honoring the scouting report.  Most teams don't hit that percentage in practice. Michigan state would have beaten any team in the country with their first 12 minutes of the second half.  Gotta move on.  I thought we got better although it seemed we had poor spacing or slow ball movement in offense.  Agree with whoever talked about being in the bonus early second half and not getting to the line.  If you make shots you look pretty good no matter who you are 

Anyone want to know what Barrett Benson is doing over the same timeframe?

I recall there was someone who jumped my case over on the recruiting board about a year ago who really wanted us to get Barrett Benson, and thought Jordy was JABB (just another big body.)  Barrett is averaging 7 minutes, 2.8 points, and 1.2 rebounds on exactly 50% shooting from the floor over his last 5 games.

I wouldn't trade.  Jordy is going to become a real weapon for us in the low post in the fairly near future.

6 minutes ago, TZAHL said:

We played very mediocre in first half.  Needed to be tied or in the lead.  Actually thought we played better in 2nd half.  Michigan state hit shots. I thought a lot of their 3s were contested.     If someone is gonnna rose up and hit a 3 with a hand in their face not a lot you can do unless you are totally not honoring the scouting report.  Most teams don't hit that percentage in practice. Michigan state would have beaten any team in the country with their first 12 minutes of the second half.  Gotta move on.  I thought we got better although it seemed we had poor spacing or slow ball movement in offense.  Agree with whoever talked about being in the bonus early second half and not getting to the line.  If you make shots you look pretty good no matter who you are 

We need a couple guys willing to shoot those contested threes and able to make them.  We aren't getting guys consistently good looks and our shooters won't face up with a defender in their zip code.  That's what I thought Anton Gill was going to bring to us based on how he played in his first public scrimmage after he transferred here.  Shame he got hurt.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'll just say Jordy is still very raw.  Don't anyone go thinking he's suddenly got it all figured out.  I expect he'll have a game like this followed by a game where, like Horne and McVeigh, he disappears and doesn't seem to do much at all.

But his ceiling is so incredibly high.  He put up 15 and 9 against Michigan State as a true freshman who is still very raw.  Think about that.  Sky is the limit for this kid.  I have thought for some time now that he's probably our next NBA 1st round pick.  He has the right measurables.  He's a physical specimen.  He needs some off-season work in the weight room and improving his footwork in the low post.  He clearly has some things he needs to work on.  I don't think his hands are as bad as some might think; I think it's more a matter of speed of the game and upper body strength to hold onto the ball against contact.

But he is light years ahead of where he was against Sacramento State where he played 10 minutes and missed all 7 shots from the floor.  Light years ahead.

Someone made the comment about him shooting 3-pointers that he was only 37% or so from 2-point range.  And that might have been true but it was also misleading.  Over the last 5 games, he's shooting 56% from the field and 62% from the stripe.  In that span, he's averaging 15 minutes, 8.2 points, and 3.6 rebounds.  All of those numbers are very encouraging.

Jordy will be the best 1st rounder if he gets there too.  Will be a 4 year, improve each year type of guy and not a 1 and done

About time Izzo starts taking us seriously. Sure made it a boring game though. But it did give Frashilla a chance to reminisce about his two week career as an NU coach. He did share that Danny was quite unhappy with him but did not say exactly what Nee said. He probably thought it would crash the telecast and melt everyone's tvs.

13 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

About time Izzo starts taking us seriously. Sure made it a boring game though. But it did give Frashilla a chance to reminisce about his two week career as an NU coach. He did share that Danny was quite unhappy with him but did not say exactly what Nee said. He probably thought it would crash the telecast and melt everyone's tvs.

Well, he did mention that he was a Brooklyn guy and when Nee moved to Lincoln Fran said "I just didn't know if I could do it" so he talked to Nee and up and left.

3 Point FG PCT Defense(in conference) since Molinari was hired.  For a program that is supposedly being built from defense up...we have not been very good on that end the past few years.   Is it scheme? Personnel?  A mix of both?

14/15- #12- .361
15/16- #13- .392
16/17- #13- .454

Before Molinari

12/13- #5- .320
13/14- #5- .330

3 Point FG PCT Defense(in conference) since Molinari was hired.  For a program that is supposedly being built from defense up...we have not been very good on that end the past few years.   Is it scheme? Personnel?  A mix of both?

14/15- #12- .361
15/16- #13- .392
16/17- #13- .454

Before Molinari

12/13- #5- .320
13/14- #5- .330

Ouch

21 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

14/15- #12- .361
15/16- #13- .392
16/17- #13- .454

Before Molinari

12/13- #5- .320
13/14- #5- .330

I don't know if you listened to the post-game last night but Miles talked about bad 3-pt defense the last couple of years and basically went through the personnel changes and when you swap the one group for the other group, you lose a lot of length and quickness on the perimeter.

That doesn't sound like the finger points to Molinari's defensive schemes.  So, while your statistics are very interesting, they might not prove what it appears you're attempting to imply.