Justin Costello is N

hhcmatt

Honestly would take Costello over any of the 3 walk ons on the roster at the moment. The kid can flat out play. Good athlete, can shoot the lights out of the ball. I like this get a lot. Must be something in the water at Elk South that draws their guys to Nebraska. Hopefully he sticks around longer than Mr. Trueblood, but still. Should be a great addition to the program. 

Great get.  Kid can ball.  Sneaky athletic--can dunk pretty easily at 6'2".  Court awareness through the roof.  Great shooter with a quick release and an excellent passer and ball handler to boot.  Wow.  I thought for sure he'd be on scholarship somewhere at a lower D1 school.  

I legitimately think this kid can back up Watson at point.  He is NOT a typical walkon.  Love the addition.  

Watch those hudl highlights.  If this kid was offered a scholarship, I wouldn't question it beyond his straight line speed.  His ball skills and playmaking are legit D1 material.  

I generally don't get hyped on walkons but this kid as a junior in hs made passes noone on our roster right now would even think of trying to make.

The biggest issue I've had with our offense the past few seasons is the difficulty we have passing into the paint from the wing and the elbow.  If this kid can be even servicable in the rest of his game he will be worth having on the floor.

This is random and not very important but are all of our walkons redshirting this year? I don't think any of them have played a single minute. I guess it has to do with not having any blowouts wins or losses and trying to figure out roles and rotations early on.

Also, Costello is a great walkon addition. Definitely lower D1 caliber player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 4:08 PM, Blackshirt83 said:

I generally don't get hyped on walkons but this kid as a junior in hs made passes noone on our roster right now would even think of trying to make.

The biggest issue I've had with our offense the past few seasons is the difficulty we have passing into the paint from the wing and the elbow.  If this kid can be even servicable in the rest of his game he will be worth having on the floor.

What is the level of competition he is making said passes against?  While I agree getting the ball into the post at times is painful, part of it maybe who has been in the paint the last few years.  I look for Jordy to be a much better option for this year as he gets stronger.

• 3 months later...

It's official

“We are thrilled to add Justin to our program,” Nebraska Coach Tim Miles said. “He is an outstanding young man, and he has talent that can help the Huskers on the floor. We have watched him closely for two years and love his skill level, his work ethic and the way he handles himself. The fact he went to three state tournaments shows he understands winning.”

As a senior, Costello led Elkhorn South to the 2017 Nebraska Class B State Tournament, averaging 18.6 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game to earn first-team Class B honors from both the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star. Costello shot 43 percent from the field, including 67 3-pointers, and 78 percent from the line for the Storm. He had a pair of 30-point games this winter in helping Elkhorn South finish with an 18-7 record, including a 39-point outburst against Lincoln Southwest. In that game, Costello went 9-of-11 from 3-point range, one of seven games where he had at least four 3-pointers in a game in 2016-17.

A three-time all-state pick, he earned second-team All-Class B honors from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star as a junior, averaging 18.0 points and 3.1 rebounds per game and was an honorable-mention pick as a sophomore, as Elkhorn South went 21-5 and won its first Class B state title.

8 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

It's official

“We are thrilled to add Justin to our program,” Nebraska Coach Tim Miles said. “He is an outstanding young man, and he has talent that can help the Huskers on the floor. We have watched him closely for two years and love his skill level, his work ethic and the way he handles himself. The fact he went to three state tournaments shows he understands winning.”

As a senior, Costello led Elkhorn South to the 2017 Nebraska Class B State Tournament, averaging 18.6 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game to earn first-team Class B honors from both the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star. Costello shot 43 percent from the field, including 67 3-pointers, and 78 percent from the line for the Storm. He had a pair of 30-point games this winter in helping Elkhorn South finish with an 18-7 record, including a 39-point outburst against Lincoln Southwest. In that game, Costello went 9-of-11 from 3-point range, one of seven games where he had at least four 3-pointers in a game in 2016-17.

A three-time all-state pick, he earned second-team All-Class B honors from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star as a junior, averaging 18.0 points and 3.1 rebounds per game and was an honorable-mention pick as a sophomore, as Elkhorn South went 21-5 and won its first Class B state title.

I still think this kid is a dark horse to get minutes, and no I don't think that means we have a crappy team.  That 39pt game he had was ridiculous.  

I covered Justin all throughout his high school career. I like him a lot and he's a great pick-up. Like Jake said, he's better than any of the walk-ons from last year.

However, you guys probably need to reel in expectations just a bit. For one, he's not a point guard; he's definitely a shooting guard. He handled the ball a decent amount and is capable of making some nice plays, but he's at his best off the ball running off screens. He also got little recruiting attention for a reason, and he wasn't going to be a D-I scholarship player anywhere. His first offer was from Benedictine and there wasn't much else beyond that. The problem is he is not a good defender at all. He's a pretty good vertical athlete but struggles laterally. 

To be clear, I'm a big fan of his. We had him at No. 9 in the class in our final 2017 rankings. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Nebraska jersey. But if he's playing more than walk-on minutes, something went wrong with Allen, Palmer and Gill.

10 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I covered Justin all throughout his high school career. I like him a lot and he's a great pick-up. Like Jake said, he's better than any of the walk-ons from last year.

However, you guys probably need to reel in expectations just a bit. For one, he's not a point guard; he's definitely a shooting guard. He handled the ball a decent amount and is capable of making some nice plays, but he's at his best off the ball running off screens. He also got little recruiting attention for a reason, and he wasn't going to be a D-I scholarship player anywhere. His first offer was from Benedictine and there wasn't much else beyond that. The problem is he is not a good defender at all. He's a pretty good vertical athlete but struggles laterally. 

To be clear, I'm a big fan of his. We had him at No. 9 in the class in our final 2017 rankings. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Nebraska jersey. But if he's playing more than walk-on minutes, something went wrong with Allen, Palmer and Gill.

Good overview.  I am in total agreement.  It may be comparing apples to oranges, but Menke was an outstanding Class B HS player as well.  It is an eye opener when you move to Division I ranks.  Certainly there is history of lower class players in Nebraska stepping into Division I roles, but it is tough.