Justin Costello is N

hhcmatt

I agree with Jacob that Costello is a really good high school player that I do not think will ever get minutes. He does have one specific skill that Trueblood did not and that is a knock down 3 point shot. Those guys always have a chance to contribute if they work their back side off to become good defenders, etc.

I am glad he is giving it a shot but there is a reason there were not a lot of even low level D1 or D2 offers. Hope like hell he proves me wrong though.

Nice try, cwg. I think Larry was from Hastings. I am thinking of Derek Lodwig who played on the great Danny Nee team of 90-91 and even attended the reunion in 2006. He might have even scored a point or two while he was here. Played for Elkhorn against one of my kids in 1988.

18 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I will guess...Larry Bornschlegl

Larry was from Geneva and played basketball for NU but was a much better baseball catcher for NU. I think he was all Big Eight once or twice. He probably had a full ride in baseball, (We all got full rides in those days.) so he may have been a walk on in basketball technically. I had the pleasure of pitching to Larry in semi-pro baseball as 17 and 18 year old.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Johnny Trueblood falls somewhere between Fennis Dembo and Justus Thigpen.

I had one  roommate from Wyoming and one from Iowa and that year they were always arguing who had the "best" name, Fennis Dembo or Lafester Rhodes. 

I also learned that year that Fennis was a twin. He and his sister were the 11th and 12th children, They let the oldest daughter name the twins and she didn't want any more siblings. She took her inspiration from the word finis as in French for finished.  That's how you end up with a Fenise and a Fennis.

7 hours ago, kleitus said:

... technically since mt Michael is a boarding school he was probably not from Elkhorn.

Although they do take day students at this point so who knows.

But since it is a boarding school, he lived there during the week throughout high school, so I think one could argue he's from Elkhorn, in a sense.