Running out of time outs?

rr52

In the game versus Purdue, NU/Miles called his last time out with 2:51 to go in the game. Did this play into NU's favor? The lack of 2 or 3 stoppages of play kept the fans into the game rather than bringing things to a standstill. And I just feel sometimes coaches over think things. Why call a timeout after your team makes a shot and grabs some momentum only to negate that momentum by stopping play? It also gives the opponents a chance to regroup. I know that a coach wants to set things up defensively but would sure think as many times that it happens in a season a coach would be able to communicate those instructions some way without the timeout. I'm probably overanalyzing things but by letting the game play on and making the players overthink they just went out and played.   

42 minutes ago, rr52 said:

In the game versus Purdue, NU/Miles called his last time out with 2:51 to go in the game. Did this play into NU's favor? The lack of 2 or 3 stoppages of play kept the fans into the game rather than bringing things to a standstill. And I just feel sometimes coaches over think things. Why call a timeout after your team makes a shot and grabs some momentum only to negate that momentum by stopping play? It also gives the opponents a chance to regroup. I know that a coach wants to set things up defensively but would sure think as many times that it happens in a season a coach would be able to communicate those instructions some way without the timeout. I'm probably overanalyzing things but by letting the game play on and making the players overthink they just went out and played.   

Tai was out of gas and needed a blow, He also was hurt.

When you see a timeout after a basket and they don't set up a press...that really drives me nuts...because...if you are going to fall back into a half court defense, you should be able to call that from the sideline...

Calling a timeout to set up a press prevents the offense from getting a quick inbounds and allows all defensive players to get into place.

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

When you see a timeout after a basket and they don't set up a press...that really drives me nuts...because...if you are going to fall back into a half court defense, you should be able to call that from the sideline...

Calling a timeout to set up a press prevents the offense from getting a quick inbounds and allows all defensive players to get into place.

You mean coaches call one from sideline? Because they can't do that anymore.. At a deadball or after a made basket they can.

16 hours ago, rr52 said:

I totally agree as sometime I think it hurts your team when you automatically call a timeout after you just scored and lose any momentum you just had.  I watch coaches like Roy Williams and John Calipari and they will often just let the game go on without calling an automatic timeout and it usually works in their favor when you have the other team rattles and on their heels.  I do feel coaches try to "over coach" sometimes when they have practiced these situations and see it in games many times.  I'm a firm believer that you don't always need to call a timeout right after you score if you are behind.  It many times just backfires on them and they lose their "mojo" they just created.

The other thing that teams don't take advantage of to force timeouts in the last 2 to 3 minutes of a game.

You are given 5 seconds to inbounds the ball and they usually give you a second or two to get to the ball before they start the count.

With a 30 second shot clock, you can run 30 seconds off the clock per possession when you are in the lead...if you take 2 seconds to get to the ball and throw the ball in at 4 seconds, you could run an additional 6 seconds when you are trying to bleed the clock...If it became obvious you are doing this, the opposing coach might choose to call timeouts to eliminate the 6 seconds run off.   

In the last minute of the game, the clock stops after a made basket, but prior to that rule, you have the ability to bleed a few more seconds here and there...when you are up 12 points, bleeding 6 extra seconds after 5 made baskets, basically eliminates a possession for the other team....or forces them to start fouling earlier.

Now, I usually am not a proponent of bleeding the clock too early...this is just an observation when teams are bleeding the clock, why don't they take advantage of the rules to bleed extra time.

17 hours ago, rr52 said:

I'm probably overanalyzing things

Yes.  Probably.

But I have a couple comments.

1).  If the game ends with the coach not using all his time outs, especially if it's close and doubly so if the team loses, fans are going to go apeshit with the decision to not use all the time outs.  Second guessing is what fans do, and they are almost always wrong, or at least mis-informed about why the game played out the way it did.

2).  Players are taught to always do things a certain way in end-of-game situations.  You often see games with a young team playing behind by 15-20 points that call time out after scoring in the final minute or two of the game.  It's not that the coaches feel like they have a legit shot at coming back and winning.  It's about conditioning to be prepared in those end game situations when it matters.

My answer to the question is, no, it probably didn't play into our favor.  Nor did it particularly hamper us.  There were sufficient stoppages that allowed coach to sub Tai in and out as needed.  I wish there was an option for coaches to call a 15 second or maybe 10 second time out instead of just 30 and full.  Might speed up the end of games.

I have wondered if they should adopt advancing the ball to midcourt after a timeout  (only if you are becoming the offense, the other team just scored or you have gained possession).

The caveat I would put if a coach chose to advance the ball, they waive the 30 seconds and play begins immediately....so you can choose to take time to draw up a play or you can choose to advance the ball.

Would speed up play if coaches saved these timeouts for this purpose...instead of 2 timeouts at 1 minute plus each...they take 10 seconds and get the play restarted from midcourt. it would speed up the last two minutes of the game if coaches chose to advance the ball.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Yes.  Probably.

But I have a couple comments.

1).  If the game ends with the coach not using all his time outs, especially if it's close and doubly so if the team loses, fans are going to go apeshit with the decision to not use all the time outs.  Second guessing is what fans do, and they are almost always wrong, or at least mis-informed about why the game played out the way it did.

2).  Players are taught to always do things a certain way in end-of-game situations.  You often see games with a young team playing behind by 15-20 points that call time out after scoring in the final minute or two of the game.  It's not that the coaches feel like they have a legit shot at coming back and winning.  It's about conditioning to be prepared in those end game situations when it matters.

My answer to the question is, no, it probably didn't play into our favor.  Nor did it particularly hamper us.  There were sufficient stoppages that allowed coach to sub Tai in and out as needed.  I wish there was an option for coaches to call a 15 second or maybe 10 second time out instead of just 30 and full.  Might speed up the end of games.

I recall many years ago when Danny Nee watched Okie St. run out to 23-2 lead or something like that and he never called a time out. At that point why use any?