Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

4 hours ago, 49r said:

Everybody knows Robitussen is for chumps. NyQuil is where it's at...

Effin' A, Cotton.:)

If I could take this moment to give my two cents worth on a couple of other threads talking about next year.  My hope is Miles has another year here.  I think he's a great fit for Nebraska.  My gut tells me if they win only 1 or 2 more games, he's shown the door.  Here's a whiskey/nyquil chaser to the Huskers going on a 10 game winning streak!

8 hours ago, LK1 said:

I think we could replicate the shooting (McVeigh) or defense (Taylor, who I'm sure will actually be a better defender), but not the combination.  I think that's the part that makes Akenton unique on this roster.  He can shoot AND has the athleticism and length to guard the 2.  We don't have a player that can do that on the current roster.  

Isn't that exactly what Palmer is supposed to be? About the same size, very athletic, and I do not know about his shot but from what I have read it is pretty good. He also played decent minutes on a very good Miami team a few years ago. I love what I am reading about Nana and I hope he is good enough to get minutes right away. Those two might be our 2 guards and appear very similar to me anyway.

6 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Isn't that exactly what Palmer is supposed to be? About the same size, very athletic, and I do not know about his shot but from what I have read it is pretty good. He also played decent minutes on a very good Miami team a few years ago. I love what I am reading about Nana and I hope he is good enough to get minutes right away. Those two might be our 2 guards and appear very similar to me anyway.

I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness to guard the 2, but I certainly hope so.  

• 4 weeks later...

Tai  6'4"

Taylor 6'5"

And when Taylor wasn't at the 3....it would've been Jeriah 6'7". Jack 6'8" Roby 6'8"

Length was the least of our issues.

Defensive rotations and awareness were far bigger issues

Starting lineups the last 4 games.  

Nebraska:   6'0" 6'4" 6'5"

Michigan St   5'10"  6'4" 6'5"

Illinois:     6'0"   6'2"   6'6"

Minnesota:    6'2"  6'4"  6'8"

Michigan:   6'1" 6'4" 6'6"

So in the last 4 games....Nebraska has been taller at the 1/2/3 than 2 of the teams.   Michigan averaged less than an inch taller per individual.   Minnesota was the only one was a noticeable advantage and they didn't even shoot the ball that well from the arc in the first half against us.

The ball isn't being shot over us.   It's being shot when we are slow to rotate/recover or get lost.   Or by another teams post because he can shoot and our bigs don't come out. 

We're just a plain bad defensive team.   And have been.   That's what it comes down too.

Edited by nustudent

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Boy I'm looking at Copeland's numbers again and I think he can easily give us the same sort of impact as Motivated Pitchford.

Walter, at his best, had the offensive skills of a Division 2 SF that couldn't put the ball on the floor. Since he was 6'10", though, there were times he could make it work.  But what percent of his potential did he hit? Even 50%?  He might have been the most naturally talented player we've had in the last 15 years, but outside of a 6 week stretch and a random game here or there, that didn't show.

Copeland at his best (the Duke game his sophomore year) >> Pitchford at his best.  The question remains, how close to his best will Copeland be.

The players with the highest ceiling and biggest upside on the roster are probably Roby and Jordy.

If those two guys take the kinds of giant leaps forward they're probably capable of, that will improve the team the most.

Therefore, if we have a starting lineup that features those two guys, it probably means they took those steps forward and it would make the team better in the process.

From Chatelain's column today:

Challenge players to compete. At the same time, recognize your X-factors and prepare them accordingly. This roster doesn’t have many high-ceiling guys. Jacobson, Morrow and Taylor aren’t getting you to the NCAA tournament. 

But Nebraska can gain ground quickly in the Big Ten if Roby, Jordy Tshimanga and Isaac Copeland progress. Coaches must prioritize their development.

So, having said that, suggested starters:

PG 6-0 Glynn Watson

SG 6-6 James Palmer

SF 6-8 Isaiah Roby

PF 6-9 Isaac Copeland

C 6-11 Jordy Tshimanga

Previously I had the same line up Norm except for Morrow instead of Jordy. I think you are right though about this and I would favor Ed off the bench maybe save his foot a little as well.

We need to consistently have 3-4 guys who can knock down shots and demand to be guarded at all times. We just do not have that this year or really since forever. I really wish MJ would consistently hit his jumper, he seems to get unlimited 15 footers to 3 pointers. If Copeland gets those same looks he might average 20

Glynn Watson 

James Palmer

Isaiah Roby

Isaac Copeland 

Ed Morrow

BENCH

Michael Jacobson

Evan Taylor

Jordy Tshimanga

Jack McVeigh

Nana Akenten

Jeriah Horne 

Anton Gill

Nick Fuller

It's weird having a full 13 eligible guys to play. I'm really hoping the roster stays the way it is for the most part. We could obviously use another guard but aside from Glynn everybody is gonna have to earn their PT.

Hate to say it....IMO....Nana is the deciding factor.    

And I dont mean that we need him to put up 20 a night.   But we need the depth at guard and we need a shooter.   That's apparently his MO.  If he can come out and shoot 38-40% from the arc and get us 8ppg....he'd add a lot to this roster.   I like the rest of the returning pieces (sans Fuller) but we need that shooter in the back court.

We know its not Taylor.   Im not optimistic that it can be Gill consistently.   Dont know enough about Palmer.    

We need to catch lightning in a bottle with this freshmen and hope he's ready to go right away.

We're in trouble if we're relying on Nana to give us 8 PPG as a freshman. Watch his Hudle video and tell me if you think he can consistently get that jump shot off in college.  I expect him to be very good eventually, but only after he finds a quicker catch and shoot motion.  And to caveat that-- some very good high school shooters with a slow release never make the adjustment to college (see Exhibit A: Fuller, Nick).  

If we're going to be a better 3pt% team next year, I expect it will be the result of a combined improvement from McVeigh, Taylor, and Horne rather than the addition of Nana.  Would be an added benefit if we could get some outside shooting from the 4, which is possible given the addition of Copeland.

7 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

We're in trouble if we're relying on Nana to give us 8 PPG as a freshman. Watch his Hudle video and tell me if you think he can consistently get that jump shot off in college.  I expect him to be very good eventually, but only after he finds a quicker catch and shoot motion.  And to caveat that-- some very good high school shooters with a slow release never make the adjustment to college (see Exhibit A: Fuller, Nick).  

If we're going to be a better 3pt% team next year, I expect it will be the result of a combined improvement from McVeigh, Taylor, and Horne rather than the addition of Nana.  Would be an added benefit if we could get some outside shooting from the 4, which is possible given the addition of Copeland.

I think we're in trouble anyways.  But the guys is blowing up in Chicago.   That gives me hope he can compete.   Palmer could also fill that role.   

If were relying on Taylor and McVeigh....it's not going to end well

Edited by nustudent

12 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think we're in trouble anyways.  But the guys is blowing up in Chicago.   That gives me hope he can compete.   Palmer could also fill that role.   

If were relying on Taylor and McVeigh....it's not going to end well

I like Taylor's shot, and wouldn't be surprised if he sniffs 40% from three if he gets enough chances.  McVeigh is obviously super streaky.  Could just as easily go 0-8 as 6-8 on any given night, but that's on the coaching staff to know when to rely on him vs. bench him.  We've got enough option at the 3 & 4 that he should only see minutes when he's hot.  I'd put Horne in that category, too, except that he may see some minutes at the 2 out of necessity.

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I like Taylor's shot, and wouldn't be surprised if he sniffs 40% from three if he gets enough chances.  McVeigh is obviously super streaky.  Could just as easily go 0-8 as 6-8 on any given night, but that's on the coaching staff to know when to rely on him vs. bench him.  We've got enough option at the 3 & 4 that he should only see minutes when he's hot.  I'd put Horne in that category, too, except that he may see some minutes at the 2 out of necessity.

Taylor isn't a good shooter.   If he sniffs 40%, it's because he goes 2-5 on the year only taking some wideopen shots in the noncon.   Agree on McVeigh.  Problem is...the coaches don't have a crystal ball so clearly they can't rely on McVeigh.   Don't know which version you will get of him.   I like Horne...but he'll struggle to play the 3 consistently, let alone the 2.   This all circles back to my point of Nana being the X-factor.   We need a shooter at the 2.   

I refuse to write in any newcomer as a starter until I see their game.  You also have to consider the health and growth of the players.  I would say there is one player that seems like a sure fire starter, all other positions will likely be open competition.

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

I refuse to write in any newcomer as a starter until I see their game.  You also have to consider the health and growth of the players.  I would say there is one player that seems like a sure fire starter, all other positions will likely be open competition.

Not writing him in as a starter.   Just an x factor because of the supposed skill he poses seperates him from the rest of the team

Just now, nustudent said:

Not writing him in as a starter.   Just an x factor because of the supposed skill he poses seperates him from the rest of the team

I apologize nu...I wasn't targeting your comment, I just now caught up on the thread.  My view is a generalization. 

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

Dont know enough about Palmer.  

His FT numbers aren't inspiring. It'd would be a bit surprising if he was a more consistent 3pt shooter than McVeigh.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

If he's playing with the right group of guys we might only need him to spot up on open 3s and play defense. Yikes on the thought of shot adjustment. 

12 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Maybe the slow release was when they used the slo-mo feature on the video editor.  I don't see much that worries me in this video about him having the ability to get off that shot.