Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

That's a little harsh. It's fair to project Roby as being more than that, but last year he showed potential as a defender and rebounder and his offense looked very unrefined. That sounds like a glue guy. Some of that had to do with the injury before the season, sure, but he needs to make major improvement from last year in order to be more than a glue guy or solid rotation player this year. It's certainly possible that he does that, but we have't seen it happen yet.

Roby is 6'8 and can play point if needed, do I need to say more?

He excels at all aspects of basketball.  The only aspect of his game that needs work is his 3 point shooting.  Which is something that can increase with a little practice.  His form is correct as well.  So to call a player that has traits less than 1% of the basketball population has a glue guy is completely ill informed.  

Mr. Padilla you know what a glue guy is right?  A glue guy is a player like Grant Gibbs, I'm sure you've heard of him.  Nebraska glue guys are players like Mike Peltz, Benny Parker and yes Evan Taylor.  A glue guy is a player that lacks basketball athleticism but plays with energy and knowledge.  

Does that sound like Roby to you? 

The basis of the glue guy argument is on his 3pt shot percentage as a true freshman?  Really?  He is in the top 3 on our team in the following categories and he is a Sophomore 

Court Vision/Passing

Athleticism

Blocking

Finishing at the Rim 

If I had to pick 4 players that I could keep on this team it would be Roby, Watson, Tshimanga and Copeland.  I would never classify Roby as a glue guy, when he is one of the few players that actually has an NBA skill set on our team.  It is an asinine comment, and was ill informed statement that needed to be called out for what it was

Edited by big red22

5 hours ago, big red22 said:

He excels at all aspects of basketball.  The only aspect of his game that needs work is his 3 point shooting.  Which is something that can increase with a little practice.  His form is correct as well.  So to call a player that has traits less than 1% of the basketball population has a glue guy is completely ill informed.  

Mr. Padilla you know what a glue guy is right?  A glue guy is a player like Grant Gibbs, I'm sure you've heard of him.  Nebraska glue guys are players like Mike Peltz, Benny Parker and yes Evan Taylor.  A glue guy is a player that lacks basketball athleticism but plays with energy and knowledge.  

The basis of the glue guy argument is on his 3pt shot percentage as a true freshman?  Really?  He is in the top 3 on our team in the following categories and he is a Sophomore 

Court Vision/Passing

Athleticism

Blocking

Finishing at the Rim 

If I had to pick 4 players that I could keep on this team it would be Roby, Watson, Tshimanga and Copeland.  I would never classify Roby as a glue guy, when he is one of the few players that actually has an NBA skill set on our team.  It is an asinine comment, and was ill informed statement that needed to be called out for what it was

My post was a little misconstrued. I think Roby is a very  good all around player but last year didn’t show enough on offense to justify starting WITH ET. Roby should start but based on how we went into many offensive slumps last year, starting both guys together when we have many ALLEGEDLY better shooters available now, doesn’t make sense to me. 

So in summary:

GW

Palmer

Roby/ET

Copeland

Jordy

8 hours ago, big red22 said:

Court Vision/Passing

Athleticism

Blocking

Finishing at the Rim 

A glue guy doesn't have to be a guy with limited talent. A glue guy is the player that makes lineups come together (thus the "glue" part of the name). He makes hustle plays and does the little things. Moving the ball, crashing the glass, taking on tough defensive assignments. That describes what Roby did last year.

Roby is certainly capable of all of that. But you can't honestly have watched last season and claim that is what he was. He had the highest TO% on the team and shot under 45% inside the arc. To say that he excels at every area of the game outside of 3-point shooting at this stage in his career simply is not correct. I was really high on Roby when the Huskers signed him and I remain so even after last year, but you can be excited about what he's capable of without thinking he's great right at this moment. Because he wasn't last year and he hasn't played a game yet this season.

14 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

A glue guy doesn't have to be a guy with limited talent. A glue guy is the player that makes lineups come together (thus the "glue" part of the name). He makes hustle plays and does the little things.

So basically your saying players like Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Dwayne Wade all were glue guys at their school?  Glue guys are never the most gifted athletes, and you are pulling that out of your ***

3 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Much more appropriate. I think Roby is going to be a stud. Was he last year? Absolutely not. "He excells at all aspects of basketball." Really?!? Do we expect/hope he makes giant strides from year 1 to year 2? He damn well better if we are going to have the kind of year we can all get geeked about ?

To strengthen your argument, Isaiah Roby was the 28th leading scorer in the Big Ten Conference last year, among freshmen.  So it might be a bit premature to anoint him as a future NBA player.  A lot of the skills are there, but greatness hasn't happened just yet.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

I'm a little concerned that, in trying to justify the use of the term "glue guy," some people are, y'know, taking away from the kid.

OK, sure, he wasn't a star last year.  28th among freshmen in scoring in the Big Ten is a completely meaningless stat, though.  

This kid is no stiff, and that stat would almost leave one with that impression.  

The ONLY thing Isaiah is missing is a jumper.  He's 6'8" and can touch 12 feet.  His ball-handling and passing at his height are A+++.  His court awareness is good.  His feel for the game is good.  His basketball IQ, those things are all good.

The only thing he hasn't demonstrated in a live game is a shooting stroke.  Maybe that's improved over the summer, we shall see.  But at his worst, he's no worse than Michael Jacobson ever was.  And he can do a hell of a lot of things Michael Jacobson would never have been counted on to do.

I frankly don't think calling him a "glue guy" is an insult, but talking him down in order to justify the term is.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm a little concerned that, in trying to justify the use of the term "glue guy," some people are, y'know, taking away from the kid.

OK, sure, he wasn't a star last year.  28th among freshmen in scoring in the Big Ten is a completely meaningless stat, though.  

This kid is no stiff, and that stat would almost leave one with that impression.  

The ONLY thing Isaiah is missing is a jumper.  He's 6'8" and can touch 12 feet.  His ball-handling and passing at his height are A+++.  His court awareness is good.  His feel for the game is good.  His basketball IQ, those things are all good.

The only thing he hasn't demonstrated in a live game is a shooting stroke.  Maybe that's improved over the summer, we shall see.  But at his worst, he's no worse than Michael Jacobson ever was.  And he can do a hell of a lot of things Michael Jacobson would never have been counted on to do.

I frankly don't think calling him a "glue guy" is an insult, but talking him down in order to justify the term is.

I'm not trying to talk him down, just trying to be realistic.  I don't know what he would have done last year without the injury problems - obviously he'd have been much better, but would he have averaged 8 or more?  Maybe, maybe not, obviously he had to adjust to the speed and physicality of the game just like any other freshman.  Also, sometimes it's a temperament thing - some guys don't have it in them to take charge when they're the new guy.  For some people that takes a while.

You look at his skills, and you look at a guy like Amir Coffey from Minnesota, and you think, he should be just as good or better than that guy.  His potential is obviously extremely high, if he maxes out then he really could be an NBA guy, but it's not a 100% certainty that it will happen.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:13 PM, bball23 said:

I have heard that our starting 5 will look like this at the beginning of the year.

Watson

Taylor

Copeland

Palmer

Jordy

Which to me is a good sign if they didn't have Roby in the starting as I'm a HUGE fan of Roby. 

Then bench is anybody's guess.  Will have more to do with match ups and who's playing well.  One thing is for sure, with our added depth, practices should be very competitive this year for playing time which is awesome!

Well, my "source" on who would be starting to begin the year is true (at least for today).  I think its a good sign that Palmer is starting, for guys like Roby who I'm very high on.  

Here is your depth chart from the scrimmage

PG Watson - Allen

SG Taylor - Gill

SF Palmer - McVeigh

PF Copeland - Roby

C  Jordy - Okeke - Borchardt

Tanner looks like a guy we will tab for foul trouble/conditioning problems at the 5

Part of Nana not playing is he's not in the top 10/11 guys. Gill or McVeigh are going to need to struggle/get injured for him to see some minutes I think. The part of him not playing at all?  I know last year Horne was in the doghouse after that long holiday road trip. It's possible we're trying to get a handle on something like this before the season.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I know that the starters are important to figure out who is playing early in a game, what I'm more interested in is who will be counted on to be in the game when the game is on the line at the end...

Now, *that* will be interesting to find out.

That is part of the reason that I was ok with them coming back and making it a close game.  I think that will help us more than blowing them out by 20+ points.

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Here is your depth chart from the scrimmage

PG Watson - Allen

SG Taylor - Gill

SF Palmer - McVeigh

PF Copeland - Roby

C  Jordy - Okeke - Borchardt

Tanner looks like a guy we will tab for foul trouble/conditioning problems at the 5

Part of Nana not playing is he's not in the top 10/11 guys. Gill or McVeigh are going to need to struggle/get injured for him to see some minutes I think. The part of him not playing at all?  I know last year Horne was in the doghouse after that long holiday road trip. It's possible we're trying to get a handle on something like this before the season.

I still think there is some shuffling to be done.  That is some pretty good depth though. 

Edited by huskercwg

32 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Glue Guy = Kurt Rambis

A "back in the day" Husker glue guy:   Terry Novak.   After a very successful year his senior year (I think it was '77-78), we returned everybody except Terry, who was nothing flashy.   So hopes were high.    And we sucked.  All he did was "glue" stuff.   Teams need it.  His impact on the team was way more than anyone knew at the time.