Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

I doubt any of the players participating at the rec center were going balls to the wall like they do at practice. My guess is they were just having fun and messing around.

To some extent, but they are competitors. He also related that as Taylor scored more and more Gill started guarding harder and harder and then Roby came over to double and the two of them still couldn't stop him from getting to and finishing at the rim. You won't go as hard as you would consistently but if they are anything like the ball players I've been around, pride and competitiveness takes over. You don't want that guy scoring on you over and over. 

17 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If what Dean Smith posted the other day is true, you might have to drop Anton out of the top 10 and stick Nana in there instead.  Sounds like the knee might still be an issue.  I'm praying for the young man that he returns to his former glory.  I think he's a good kid and seems like a good teammate.  But it might not be in the cards for him.

No, Gill is looking very good. 

Making some updates for my thoughts  on starters and minutes.

PG --> G. Watson 30min, T. Allen 10min

SG --> E. Taylor 22min, J. Palmer 10min, T. Allen 8min

SF --> J. Palmer 15min, J. McVeigh 20min, I. Roby 5min

PF --> I. Copeland 27min, I. Roby 13min

C --> J. Tshimanga 23min, D. Okek 13min, I. Roby 4min

This amounts too:

STARTERS

-Glynn Watson 30 min

-Evan Taylor 22 min

-James Palmer 25 min

-Isaac Copeland 27 min

-Jordy Tshimanga 23 min

ROTATION

-Isaiah Roby 22 min

-Jack McVeigh 20 min

-Thomas Allen 18 min

-Duby Okeke 13 min

BENCH (will see minutes but not part of regular rotation)

-Anton Gill 

-Nana Akenten

-Tanner Borchardt

REDSHIRT (hopefully)

-Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Notes:

-Really torn between Nana and Taylor for the last spot in what i believe will be a 9 man rotation. But since Miles is known for giving the nod to experience i will go with Taylor.

- Nana will have a role similiar to Jeriah Horne did last year. He will play but his PT will range from providing a spark to mop up duty.

-Isaiah will see minutes at alot of positions and cause matchup problems along the way. Really looking for him to take on that jack of all trades identity.

Cant wait for the public scrimmage, "secret" scrimmage, and exhibition game to get here so we can have some concrete evidence.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Making some updates for my thoughts  on starters and minutes.

PG --> G. Watson 30min, T. Allen 10min

SG --> E. Taylor 22min, J. Palmer 10min, T. Allen 8min

SF --> J. Palmer 15min, J. McVeigh 20min, I. Roby 5min

PF --> I. Copeland 27min, I. Roby 13min

C --> J. Tshimanga 23min, D. Okek 13min, I. Roby 4min

This amounts too:

STARTERS

-Glynn Watson 30 min

-Evan Taylor 22 min

-James Palmer 25 min

-Isaac Copeland 27 min

-Jordy Tshimanga 23 min

ROTATION

-Isaiah Roby 22 min

-Jack McVeigh 20 min

-Thomas Allen 18 min

-Duby Okeke 13 min

BENCH (will see minutes but not part of regular rotation)

-Anton Gill 

-Nana Akenten

-Tanner Borchardt

REDSHIRT (hopefully)

-Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Notes:

-Really torn between Nana and Taylor for the last spot in what i believe will be a 9 man rotation. But since Miles is known for giving the nod to experience i will go with Taylor.

- Nana will have a role similiar to Jeriah Horne did last year. He will play but his PT will range from providing a spark to mop up duty.

-Isaiah will see minutes at alot of positions and cause matchup problems along the way. Really looking for him to take on that jack of all trades identity.

Cant wait for the public scrimmage, "secret" scrimmage, and exhibition game to get here so we can have some concrete evidence.

I think this is close, but Roby will be the starting 3 or 4.  Gill will get some of Palmer's and Allen's minutes, 

Starter

- Roby 25 min (Added 3 of Allen's minutes)

Rotation

- Palmer 20 min (Gave 5 minutes to Gill)

- Allen 10 min (Gave 5 minutes to Gill and 3 minutes to Roby)

- Gill 10 min (5 of Palmer's minutes and 5 of Allen's minutes

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I will be absolutely shocked if Isaiah Roby is not a starter...SHOCKED.

I'm in the same boat.

I think Roby will be our most important/valuable cog to success this year. 

Gut feeling (which, I know, means nothing).

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I think you meant Gill here

No. I guess i shouldnt have said "last" spot. Eight of the top 9 is pretty clear to me (Watson, Palmer, Copeland, Tshimanga, Roby, McVeigh, Allen, Okeke). I think all eight of those guys are playing in every game if they are healthy/ not in trouble.

My last decision was pretty much between Akenten or Taylor for time at the 2 and 3. Originally I had Nana taking that position with Taylor on the outside looking in, albeit a lesser role than what i haven now given Taylor.

Essentially i have plugged Taylor into where i had Akenten and increased his role in that spot. I think Taylor has accepted his role on the team very well and is ready to accel in it. Add that with Miles tendency to rely on experienced players and that is why i made the switch.

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I know Robin Washut predicted that same starting lineup he has.  Will be interesting and vary quite a bit im sure.

Gill is definitely going to be getting some minutes in my opinion.

As a competitor, Gill isnt gonna say that he is worse than before or not the same player. And as a coach, there would be absolutely no benefit for Miles to crush Gill's confidence by saying he will be a nonfactor.

Im not sold on Gill bouncing back from this energy. Which adds another storyline to watch during the upcoming scrimmages and exhibition.

I don't know who's going to start, how deep we'll go, or who the first guys off the bench will be.

BUT ... as I survey our options and look at the roster, one thing stands out to me: 

We have some guys this year who, in the not too distant past, would have seen a lot of minutes but, because of our increased talent and depth, will enjoy games mostly from some of the best seats in the house.

If that's not another reason for some optimism, then you need to go drink a little more red Kool-Aid.

10 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

8...   wow that would be tough to do in my opinion

To me if we are able to do that right away it's because we've identified our 8 best guys which to me is a positive sign. I have to think we're still a WIP and we'll see 10 or so to start the season.

Hope they podcast that, sounds interesting.

Eight would be hard, you figure GW, IC, JT are sure starters

Then ET, JP, and IR will most likely fill the other 2 spots in the starting line up

That leaves only 2 for Jack, Allen, Ruby, and Gill (wonder if Nana is a redshirt candidate, assuming not but PT might be hard to come by)

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

8.. hmm..

Watson

Taylor

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

Bench:

Allen

Palmer

Jack 

I guess that's my guess.   It would mean that Roby and Copeland get huge minutes and swing the 3-4-5 and would fill for Jordy rather than bring in Okeke or Tanner.  

Kinda what i was thinking too.

Eight guys?  Seems like kind of a short bench if you want to up the tempo -- and when you have talent on the bench that needs to develop.

But that probably leaves us with something like ...

Watson/Allen/

Taylor/Palmer

Roby/McVeigh/

Copeland

Tshimanga

Gill

Okeke

Akenten

Thorbjarnarson

A couple of observations:

1.  Only 1 senior in the top 8 as near as I can figure;

2.  I would think, if you have a freshman who's a 40%+ 3-pt shooter on your bench, like what Nana is supposed to be, that you'd find some way to get him on the floor, even if it means expanding the rotation to 9.

Edited by Norm Peterson