Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Wow, I mean I think that's being extremely generous.  I haven't looked at it in that much depth, but I'd be shocked if it weren't AT LEAST half the conference with more "talent" on their roster than ours.  Honestly, in terms of Rivals 150 type talent, we're probably in the bottom third of the league right now.

Read my new thread Big 10 Talent... You will find out you answer there

46 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Read my new thread Big 10 Talent... You will find out you answer there

Good stuff.  Thanks for putting that together.  Not sure if I'm a big fan of weighting the rankings (or at least weighting them that way) but I can see why you did it.

14 minutes ago, 49r said:

Good stuff.  Thanks for putting that together.  Not sure if I'm a big fan of weighting the rankings (or at least weighting them that way) but I can see why you did it.

Well there are always exceptions to the ratings... A good example would be Peter Jok from Iowa last year.  He was not a Top 150 recruit, but he played like one.... Or you could look at Abdur-Rahkman at Michigan.  The problem is on paper we should be winning, but paper doesn't play the game.

13 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Well there are always exceptions to the ratings... A good example would be Peter Jok from Iowa last year.  He was not a Top 150 recruit, but he played like one.... Or you could look at Abdur-Rahkman at Michigan.  The problem is on paper we should be winning, but paper doesn't play the game.

yeah, and paper doesn't suffer season ending knee injuries, hip pointers or chronic plantar fasciitis either

15 hours ago, big red22 said:

You know we can't say specifics, because the unknowns on this team are through the roof.

1. Copeland... will his back be okay, and how will he mesh with this new team.  Will he go all Terran Petteway and think he has to do everything, or will he play within the system?

2. How much PT will Thomas Allen get and will he be even remotely close to his shooting % in high school.  How many minutes will he get, and where will he spend the majority of his minutes?

3. James Palmer does anyone know what his strengths are?  We he be a 2 or is he more of a 3 type player.  I don't know if anyone know what we are going to get out of him.

4. Nana Akenten will he get minutes?  Will he play his true 2 position if he does?  Does he just redshirt this year?

5.  Anton Gill the biggest mystery of all.  Does he get meaningful minutes? Does he play anywhere near to what he was like coming out of high school?  How many minutes does he get if he gets any at all?  Do he mesh better with his North Carolina team mates Copeland and Allen?

6. Does Roby progress enough to be the player we all think he can be... A 6'8 forward with guard like abilities?  Does his shot develope enough to make him a legit outside threat?

7. How many meaningful minutes can we get out of Tshimanga.  Does he take his game to the next level?

8.  Is Duby a legit back up to Tshimanga, and how many minutes will be needed from him?

9.  Will Watson be more of a facilitator this year, because of the talent around him?

10. What is Evan Taylor new role on this team?  How many minutes does he get and at what position?

There are probably a dozen more unknowns, but there is a reason for the hype.

The hype is coming from the fact we have a legit 1, 3, 4, and 5 and the possibilities at the 2 position are ridiculous.  

Go back to every year before this and you will not see a team that is a complete as this one as far as legit talent for specific positions... that actually get to play their position of strength.  

Go to the team the year after we made the tournament we had a LOT of talent on that team, but we had no true post and we had role playing point guard.  So as talented as that team was we played some players out of their natural positions... Pitchford and Rivers come to mind on that team

I agree with your overall point about so many questions, but you're worried a bit too much about 2 vs. 3. Palmer and Nana are wings. Palmer will handle the ball more while Nana is more of a spot-up guy and a slasher. So if you wanted to look at it that way you'd say Palmer is more of a 2 and Nana is more of a 3 by skill-set. But again, it doesn't really matter. They're not bigs and they're not point guards (although Palmer can fill in there if necessary like Taylor did last year). 

2 hours ago, khoock said:

I know everyone thinks we are really deep this year but how deep in rotation do we actually go? 8, 9, 10?

Probably bigger to start the year and then smaller as we either figure things out or have injuries.

I think we have 10 to start the season with Nana and Thor on the outside.

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Probably bigger to start the year and then smaller as we either figure things out or have injuries.

I think we have 10 to start the season with Nana and Thor on the outside.

So with Nana and Thor on the outside who is #10:

1. Watson

2. Palmer

3. Roby

4. Copeland

5. Tshimanga

6. McVeigh

7. Allen

8. Okeke

9. Taylor

10. ???

45 minutes ago, khoock said:

Well yeah, i guess i was implying why one of those two over mainly Nana. Which i could have just asked straight forward.

Gill seems more likely.  I could see Tanner getting some spot minutes later in the season against a big, bruising B1G team if either Jordy or Duby is in foul trouble.  But I don't see how he could be in the early season 10-man rotation.

I agree uneblinstu.  Tanner, in all likelihood plays the 5.  He would have to compete for time against Jordy and Okeke.  And that does not contemplate some gadget type line ups that could see Isaac or Isaiah playing some back to the basket minutes.  I would love to see Tanner the jammer become the second coming of Frank the tank...but I have my doubts.  Realistically I see spot minutes for Tanner when the game situation calls for them.

4 hours ago, khoock said:

So with Nana and Thor on the outside who is #10:

1. Watson

2. Palmer

3. Roby

4. Copeland

5. Tshimanga

6. McVeigh

7. Allen

8. Okeke

9. Taylor

10. ???

Gill

At some point I think Nana gets there but I think he's going to be one of those guys who has to figure out defense.  Just my feeling.

Talked to Thomas Allen among others today. The 6'1" he's listed at is generous. He'll probably play some with Watson, but for those expecting him to start at the 2, it is probably going to be hard to defend a lot of Big Ten backcourts with a Watson-Allen duo. He says he's a point guard.

Edited by Jacob Padilla
typo

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MilesDavis said:

Watson

Palmer

Roby

Copeland

Tshimanga

Off bench:

Taylor

Gill

Jack

Allen

Duby

It will be very close to this. Can't wait to see this team play.

If what Dean Smith posted the other day is true, you might have to drop Anton out of the top 10 and stick Nana in there instead.  Sounds like the knee might still be an issue.  I'm praying for the young man that he returns to his former glory.  I think he's a good kid and seems like a good teammate.  But it might not be in the cards for him.

If what Dean Smith posted the other day is true, you might have to drop Anton out of the top 10 and stick Nana in there instead.  Sounds like the knee might still be an issue.  I'm praying for the young man that he returns to his former glory.  I think he's a good kid and seems like a good teammate.  But it might not be in the cards for him.

This is completely contrary to what Coach Miles said just today in his presser where he said Anton has had no issues with the knee in practice and described his recovery as “surprisingly well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, WestOHusker said:

This is completely contrary to what Coach Miles said just today in his presser where he said Anton has had no issues with the knee in practice and described his recovery as “surprisingly well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn’t there. These were the observations of the kid that got dunked on. He basically said he was not that impressed by Gill. But sample size people. One night in the Rec center is not conclusive evidence as to a player’s ability. He also said Jack didn’t shoot that well on that particular night but I bet he has a couple of big nights from the outside this year.