Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

IDEALLY i want it to look like this:

-PG: Glynn Watson --> Thomas Allen

-SG: James Palmer --> Nana Akenten --> Thomas Allen

-SF: Isaiah Roby --> Jack McVeigh --> Nana Akenten

-PF: Isaac Copeland --> Jack McVeigh

-C: Jordy Tshimanga --> Duby Okeke

*ET and Nana could be switched. I went with Nana bc he has better size and athleticism. Though he might be a drop off in defense he would provide more shooting (also lets remember ET is not an elite defender more a spirited and effortful one).

*Not everyone is gonna play. Miles will cut his rotation down to 9 maybe even 8 guys a handful of games into the season. I think the top 8 are pretty close to solidified. Nana and ET will battle it out for the 9th spot. Sorry Anton, TB, and Thor but i dont see it happening for ya this year.

So . . . all the names are written out above (first and last), until we get to the text.  

Then, I had to go to Huskers.com for a reminder on who ET and TB might be.  For awhile, I thought we had some things on our team from a 1980s movie and from a lung disease.

Edited by Swan88

Jacob Padilla put together a depth chart:  https://hailvarsity.com/nebraska-basketball/depth-chart

Can someone cut and paste his spreadsheet?

He did it before Copeland got cleared and he has Jack starting at the 4 with Isaiah Roby at the 3.  Now that we know Copeland has been cleared, I assume he'd move Jack down in the rotation at the 4 instead of sliding him to start at the 3 and dropping Roby into a bench role. I have Roby starting in part based on expectations I have for off-season improvement in his game.  I know the kid can drive to the rack.  Seen him do it.  He has that tool in his bag.  What I think expect he should have developed in the off-season as far as offense is concerned is that I expect to see him be nearly automatic from the short corner in a catch-and-shoot situation, reliable from the high post, and competent from beyond the arc.  In essence, a Shavon-esque kind of game.

I disagree with Jacob on Evan Taylor's role.  He says Evan is not a point.  Notes his turnover issues.  But he's not a shooter and we saw what happens last year when you field a starting lineup with limited long-range firepower..  He has handled point duties in the past.  He is not good enough of a three-point shooter to be in the 2 guard spot in our starting rotation.  We need another guy on the floor who can bury the deep ball.  If Thomas Allen is the primary backup to Glynn as Jacob says, then Evan will probably back both.  The other alternative is that he beats everyone else out at the 3, which is where he was last year.  I see that as a possibility but less likely than him coming off the bench as a 1-3.

I see Taylor getting more of a look at the two than the three.   Just think McVeigh's length & potential shooting ability and/or Roby's overall size and athleticism wins out there.

Plus those two have some experience here.   Palmer and Allen will be the main competition for the two.   Taylor is an okay defensive guy, decent ball handler and has the experience on those two.   That being said...I will be disappointed if he is starting.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Jacob Padilla put together a depth chart:  https://hailvarsity.com/nebraska-basketball/depth-chart

Can someone cut and paste his spreadsheet?

He did it before Copeland got cleared and he has Jack starting at the 4 with Isaiah Roby at the 3.  Now that we know Copeland has been cleared, I assume he'd move Jack down in the rotation at the 4 instead of sliding him to start at the 3 and dropping Roby into a bench role. I have Roby starting in part based on expectations I have for off-season improvement in his game.  I know the kid can drive to the rack.  Seen him do it.  He has that tool in his bag.  What I think expect he should have developed in the off-season as far as offense is concerned is that I expect to see him be nearly automatic from the short corner in a catch-and-shoot situation, reliable from the high post, and competent from beyond the arc.  In essence, a Shavon-esque kind of game.

I disagree with Jacob on Evan Taylor's role.  He says Evan is not a point.  Notes his turnover issues.  But he's not a shooter and we saw what happens last year when you field a starting lineup with limited long-range firepower..  He has handled point duties in the past.  He is not good enough of a three-point shooter to be in the 2 guard spot in our starting rotation.  We need another guy on the floor who can bury the deep ball.  If Thomas Allen is the primary backup to Glynn as Jacob says, then Evan will probably back both.  The other alternative is that he beats everyone else out at the 3, which is where he was last year.  I see that as a possibility but less likely than him coming off the bench as a 1-3.

You are correct, plug Copeland in at the 4 and slide Jack behind him. As for Taylor, his poor shooting doesn't mean he can't play shooting guard. It just means they have to get more creative on offense. If the inability to shoot 3s disqualifies you from playing or starting, then Nebraska would not have been able to field a full lineup the last few years.

40 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

[snipped] If the inability to shoot 3s disqualifies you from playing or starting, then Nebraska would not have been able to field a full lineup the last few years.

Jacob, seriously?  Don't be deliberately obtuse.  And please don't employ straw man arguments with me.  

Not saying 3-pt shooting is a prerequisite to play.  Not saying 3-pt shooting is a prerequisite to start at each spot across the floor.  I'm saying, on this year's team, where we appear to have options we didn't have last year, I think it's unlikely that a guy who doesn't shoot well from 3 is going to be able to pull down the starting job at the 2-guard spot.

Last year, Taylor started 21 games.  He basically took Jack McVeigh's starting spot at the 3 after about the first 10 games.  You are not projecting Evan as a 3.  You're projecting him as a 2.  He wasn't a 2 last year; Tai Webster was.  Glynn and Tai were the starting 1 and 2; Evan Taylor was the 3.

Last year, we were a bad 3-point shooting team with limited options on our roster. I've detailed how basically only 8 players attempted 3-pt shots on the season and only one of them shot better than 35% and only 3 were better than 30%.  Taylor was among the bottom 3 players on the team in 3-pt accuracy.

He might have been able to come in and start at the 3 on a 12-win team that lacked shooters last year; I do NOT see him coming in and starting at the 2-guard spot this year -- on a team that appears to have options last year's didn't have -- if he's shooting less than 25% from 3.

Mic dropped.

I think Palmer will start, but those completely counting Taylor out are wrong. Perimeter defense will be a premium this year. If your Miles and looking at Watson, Roby, Copeland, and Jordy as your other 4 starters, perhaps you start Taylor if his defense and toughness are significantly better than Palmer's. I think all 4 of those starters could average double-digits next year plus the combination of Allen/Jack/Palmer off the bench. I'm not predicting anything, I guess I'm just saying that having an offensive liability as a starter may not matter with this deep of team. Palmer may get you 11 and Even may get you 6 in a starting roll, but the perimeter defense may be more valuable. 

I think it's a moot point though as I think Palmer will start.

I'd have to look at this a little closer, but a cursory look seems to indicate that Taylor was the main benefactor of Gill's injury. They seem to have been splitting about 30-35 minutes a game between the two of them. Then Gill got hurt and Taylor started playing about 32 minutes a night after Gill went down. And with so many other players to split those minutes with this year, including, perhaps, Gill, Taylor might start, but he won't likely carry the burden he did last year. If he goes back to playing 10-14 minutes a game, I think that would be about right.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:19 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

You are correct, plug Copeland in at the 4 and slide Jack behind him. As for Taylor, his poor shooting doesn't mean he can't play shooting guard. It just means they have to get more creative on offense. If the inability to shoot 3s disqualifies you from playing or starting, then Nebraska would not have been able to field a full lineup the last few years.

Nebraska hasn't fielded a full lineup the last few years precisely for that reason.

The most forgotten impact player Nebraska has had is Rey Gallegos.  He was third on the 13-14 tournament team in minutes.  He was a good defender and a serviceable three point threat.  His presence on the court on offense meant open lanes and less double teams.  I see Allen having the ability to play a very similar role if he can guard the perimeter.    

8 hours ago, LK1 said:

He's a very good shooter who shoots a true jump shot from 3.  He shot 45% from 3 in high school, if I'm not mistaken.  I think his athleticism transfers to D1 immediately.  

Having athleticism and being able to play defense at the D-1 level are not the same thing. Also not sure what his shooting has to do with his defense.

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

Can I agree...again?  But guessing and speculating is sort of what we do.  I would certainly hope that all positions are earned, not given.

This is in reference to JP's depth chart. @Jacob Padilla has Nebraska granted you any access to practice this summer/season? Gotta say for as open as Miles is with a lot of things that the limited access at times to that is frustrating.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

This is in reference to JP's depth chart. @Jacob Padilla has Nebraska granted you any access to practice this summer/season? Gotta say for as open as Miles is with a lot of things that the limited access at times to that is frustrating.

No, and it's definitely frustrating for me as well. I do talk to people who have that access, though, so it's not completely blind speculation.

8 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Having athleticism and being able to play defense at the D-1 level are not the same thing. Also not sure what his shooting has to do with his defense.

Defense can be coached, but one has to be athletic enough to do so.  I'm guessing a top 150 recruit with elite athleticism can guard.  

It has everything to do with his defense because being a poor defender could keep him off the court regardless of his offensive prowess.  

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska finally has a legit Big Ten depth chart, in my opinion, for Miles to use various lineups depending on matchups within a ballgame.

Kind of funny in that a few months ago we were wondering if we would have enough players to fill out our roster for the coming season.

14 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska finally has a legit Big Ten depth chart, in my opinion, for Miles to use various lineups depending on matchups within a ballgame.

Hopefully. This has been said before and proven to not be the case. I'm looking forward to finding out because I think this year it might actually be true.

Edited by uneblinstu

14 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

No, and it's definitely frustrating for me as well. I do talk to people who have that access, though, so it's not completely blind speculation.

From the people that you talk to, have they given you any indication on how the Copeland eligibility will effect playing time for other players?  Are there specific combinations of players that work really well with Copeland around them?

41 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Hopefully. This has been said before and proven to not be the case. I'm looking forward to finding out because I think this year it might actually be true.

By the way, my full quote was: "Nebraska finally has a legit Big Ten depth chart, in my opinion, for Miles to use various lineups depending on matchups within a ballgame."

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Personally, I don't ever remember looking at our roster and thinking it was a legit Big Ten depth chart.  To me, there have always been missing pieces.  We've had a couple of good players and a role player or two, but there's always been that spot in the lineup where I've always kind of had the "if only" sentiment.  If we just had a quality whatever to go along with what else we have.  So, even the year after our tournament trip, when everyone was giddy about bringing back the bulk of the talent from the year before, who would claim we had a legit center on that squad?