Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

• 4 weeks later...

Why don't we do it this way. Instead of trying to guess who the starting 2 guard might be, I'm just going to go with weights and measures:

PG  6'0, 173#

SG  6'5-6'6, 20-210#

SF  6'9, 221#

PF  6'8, 226#

C  6'11, 268#

That is a lineup that has plenty of athleticism, length, and scoring ability. 

Then, our bench is going to be bonkers, as Husker benches go.

6'1, 180#

6'5-6'6, 206-210#

6'6, 215#

6'8, 215#

6'8, 247-265#

Could anyone on that bench maybe start for UNO?

Just dont see Jack starting with Copeland back.   Be a big disappointment IMO if he is.   

Really want to see Watson, Allen/Palmer, Roby, Copeland, Jordy.   

AFAIC...Taylor and McVeigh are bench players.   They are role guys at best.   They aren't 20+ mpg (which starters usually are) players on good teams

So many ands, ifs, and buts. Cant wait for the season to start. My player rankings are now:

1. Watson

2. Jordy

3. Copeland

4. Zay

5. Palmer

6. Jack

7. Allen

8. Duby

9. ET

10. Nana

11. Tanner

12. Gill

13. Thor

*Could easily flip Nana/ET and Jack/Allen im just cautious with freshmen.

Edited by khoock

I will repeat what I have said often, I am holding off on line-up predictions.  There is going to be a lot of competition for spots and time is going to be earned.  People are saying (for example) that Tanner will get minutes.  My question then would be who will he be taking minutes from?  I see a team that needs to find its identity and then establish a rotation. 

If you had told me before the football season that Devine Ozigbo was not going to have a carry in the first two games, I would have been surprised.  Not saying we are comparing apples to apples, but we have a deep team with limited minutes.  Who starts, who finishes and who plays the most minutes at each position is pretty much up for grabs.  I will be surprised if Mr. Watson doesn't start...other than him,  shoot, I just can't be sure.

Edited by huskercwg

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

So many ands, ifs, and buts. Cant wait for the season to start. My player rankings are now:

1. Watson

2. Jordy

3. Copeland

4. Zay

5. Palmer

6. Jack

7. Allen

8. Duby

9. ET

10. Nana

11. Tanner

12. Gill

13. Thor

Yet...we haven't seen Copeland, Palmer, Allen, Duby, Nana or Thor play yet...so how can we be sure who fits where?

26 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Just dont see Jack starting with Copeland back.   Be a big disappointment IMO if he is.   

Really want to see Watson, Allen/Palmer, Roby, Copeland, Jordy.   

AFAIC...Taylor and McVeigh are bench players.   They are role guys at best.   They aren't 20+ mpg (which starters usually are) players on good teams

This is what I want to see as well but I think we see ET in the starting lineup to start the year. I like his versatility off the bench but does not bring much offense. I am really hoping Palmer is good enough he has to start, then I think we are really on to something. Bringing Palmer, Allen, and Jack off the bench would not be terrible either, lots of offense in that group. I am also hoping Nana is good enough to earn minutes but not hearing much on him so far.

Miles said Copeland is one of his top 3-4 guys and I am assuming GW and Roby are two others. Just do not see Jack starting in front of those guys but if he is your 6-8 guy we should have a pretty good team.

Copeland coming back may be what relegates Taylor to being a sub.  TM values experience, but having a highly experienced PG (Watson) and guys with decent experience at the 3, 4, and 5 (Copeland, Roby, Jordy) may mentally free Miles to start the most talented player at the 2.  

17 hours ago, Donkey said:

I have not been big on Jack all summer.  I was completely wrong.  I would not be surprised to see Jack starting.  

One advantage to having Jack start is being able to figure out relatively quickly if he's got it or not from 3.  McVeigh as a 6'8" 40-50% 3pt shooter is a guy we want to roll out and we have options if he's a 0-10% 3pt shooter.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Me neither though I can almost certainly project that Copeland will start and Thor will not be in the rotation on day 1.

I can project with 100% certainty that Copeland will start. You don't get 5-star transfers to come to your school in Nebraska without at least lightly suggesting their "role". 

I think Nana is a major sleeper here.  He is an elite 3pt shooter and athlete.  I think there will be games where he will come in and stay in because he spreads the floor and can defend/rebound/run the court from the 3.  

The number one question I had before the summer is still the question I have now--has Roby developed into a serviceable three point shooter?  If so, no one has a prayer of taking his spot.  If not, I can see some situations where we roll out a lineup of:

Watson (40%)

Allen (50%?)

Nana (45%?)

McVeigh (35%)

Copeland  (35%)

The defense would probably be awful with this lineup, but it could probably destroy a zone.  One thing I LOVE about Copeland's film is his ability to find openings in the middle of zone defense, catch the ball, and score.  He's definitely going to be our zone buster on the interior.  But if Roby can get to a 35% clip from 3, he would probably play the 4 in that same lineup.  I think Roby's 3pt shooting and Nana's ability to guard the 3 will be the biggest factors in McVeigh's playing time.  

12 hours ago, LK1 said:

I think Nana is a major sleeper here.  He is an elite 3pt shooter and athlete.  I think there will be games where he will come in and stay in because he spreads the floor and can defend/rebound/run the court from the 3.  

The number one question I had before the summer is still the question I have now--has Roby developed into a serviceable three point shooter?  If so, no one has a prayer of taking his spot.  If not, I can see some situations where we roll out a lineup of:

Watson (40%)

Allen (50%?)

Nana (45%?)

McVeigh (35%)

Copeland  (35%)

The defense would probably be awful with this lineup, but it could probably destroy a zone.  One thing I LOVE about Copeland's film is his ability to find openings in the middle of zone defense, catch the ball, and score.  He's definitely going to be our zone buster on the interior.  But if Roby can get to a 35% clip from 3, he would probably play the 4 in that same lineup.  I think Roby's 3pt shooting and Nana's ability to guard the 3 will be the biggest factors in McVeigh's playing time.  

Curious... Why are you so confident in Nana's defensive ability?

I will say this about Jack...although he has some gaps in his game, he seems to have learned the concept of team defense.  I thought last year he did a very good job helping off his man.  The problem however, he was then slow getting back to his man.  To compound that problem, Jack was not the only one who suffered from that issue.

We may alter our defense a bit this year.  We have a number of players capable of erasing mistakes, meaning they can protect the rim.  It will be interesting to see if an adjustment will be made with an eye towards our shot blockers.

Honestly, most the starting lineup is already set.  Watson, Copeland, and Jordy will be in starting line-up and I would think Roby is the next lock to start as well.  So really it's just a matter of who will start of the off guard between Palmer, Allen, or Taylor.  My money is on Allen but wouldn't be shocked if Palmer gets the nod.