Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

39 minutes ago, khoock said:

I can realistically only see one starting lineup (Watson, Palmer, Roby, Copeland, Tshimanga).

I still think their will be intense competition for minutes and roles on the team.

Roby starts at the 3 if and only if he's significantly improved his perimeter shooting.  We can't have vacant spots along the perimeter.

If Roby is shooting the ball well, the could easily be the starting 5.  If he's not, Palmer might slide to the 3 and make room for someone else, say a Thomas Allen and a bag of chips, at the 2 guard spot.

Assuming Roby finds his range, that's a lineup that could potentially do some damage in the conference.

On 6/2/2017 at 5:18 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I disagree, respectfully, with the statement he wasn't ready.

I think people on here are talking a lot about what Isaiah wasn't able to do last year.  But there's all kinds of things that he did do and did very well.  One thing we have to keep in mind is that he was a freshmen.  And freshmen make the adjustment from HS to major college hoops at different rates.  Sure, Isaiah might have struggled at times last year, but there were other times where he really showed his upside.

In my opinion, he needed to have a freshman year.  Not a redshirt freshman year, but a freshman year where he gets a really good read on where he is and where he needs to get to.

I see his role being a guy like Shavon Shields who takes his defenders off the dribble and can get to the rim.  Isaiah showed that ability.  He can spin in the lane, create some separation, and finish.  Great attribute.

He also, by the way, is a pretty skilled passer.

The thing he most needs to work on offensively is his jumper.  And given where his percentages were as a freshman, I think a complete overhaul wouldn't be out of the question.

You won't find very many good shooters whose guide hand is basically behind the ball and the left elbow winged out like that.  Look at any good shooter in the NBA, from Steph Curry and Kevin Durant to Kevin Love and Lebron James.  None of them shoot like that.  They all get that guide hand forward and the elbow more in.

For the love of God, Isaiah, model your shot off of someone good like that.  You have time this summer.  Watch yourself on video or in the mirror.

He also got hurt right when he was starting to find his way a bit.  Derailed him a great deal. 

On 6/6/2017 at 9:30 AM, Norm Peterson said:

In some ways, he's like a stretched-out Benny Parker:  good D, adequate shooter, unselfish glue guy who can handle the ball.  Except he's 6'5".

I feel that's a pretty good comparison. Never thought of it that way.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Roby starts at the 3 if and only if he's significantly improved his perimeter shooting.  We can't have vacant spots along the perimeter.

If Roby is shooting the ball well, the could easily be the starting 5.  If he's not, Palmer might slide to the 3 and make room for someone else, say a Thomas Allen and a bag of chips, at the 2 guard spot.

Assuming Roby finds his range, that's a lineup that could potentially do some damage in the conference.

Regardless that lineup is still extremely possible. Many on here think Copeland could play more of the 3 position anyway. So just flip the two if thats the case. Its not like we have had a frontcourt that can shoot very well recently.

27 minutes ago, khoock said:

Regardless that lineup is still extremely possible. Many on here think Copeland could play more of the 3 position anyway. So just flip the two if thats the case. Its not like we have had a frontcourt that can shoot very well recently.

Agreed.

Will also say that we don't need Roby to be a great shooter.   A little improvement will be fine (and I have a feeling that will happen naturally anyways as the game slows down for him-similar to Watson).   We've had some pretty mediocre shooters manning the 1,2 and 3 positions at times in the last few years and they didn't offer the natural upside that Roby does.   Having an improved shooter at the two (Allen or Palmer) and at the 4 (Roby) and a true 5 in Jordy, should alleviate some of the need to be a great perimeter shooter, especially if he is as good all around as his potential indicates he can be

Edited by nustudent

22 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Agreed.

Will also say that we don't need Roby to be a great shooter.   A little improvement will be fine (and I have a feeling that will happen naturally anyways as the game slows down for him-similar to Watson).   We've had some pretty mediocre shooters manning the 1,2 and 3 positions at times in the last few years and they didn't offer the natural upside that Roby does.   Having an improved shooter at the two (Allen or Palmer) and at the 4 (Roby) and a true 5 in Jordy, should alleviate some of the need to be a great perimeter shooter, especially if he is as good all around as his potential indicates he can be

We don't need him to be a great shooter, true.

But he better become a much-improved shooter if there are other guys on the roster who could play his position and do the things he does well but can also shoot it from deep.  I don't think it would be far-fetched, based on what we've heard about him, to see Palmer fit in at the 3 and maybe a guy like Thomas Allen and a bag of chips fill in at the 2.

The difference between Isaiah and Glynn (you make the comparison to Watson as a basis for thinking Isaiah will likewise improve) is that Glynn had a good foundation of solid mechanics to build from.  We knew he could shoot; he'd hit some clutch shots as a freshman.  But, whereas Glynn shot 20 of 75 from three as a freshman, Isaiah only hit 4 of 20.

I love Isaiah.  I love his upside.  His athleticism to length ratio is superb.  But he's not a lock to start if there are other guys who can bring what he brings plus hit that perimeter jumper.  

Which is why I continue to harp on the fact that he has 104 days of summer vacation before school comes along just to end it.  And I have a suggestion for him to consider of how exactly to spend it:  He needs to enlist the help of Phineas and Ferb to build him a damn jump shot.

26 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

For what it is worth, I have heard that Jordy actually has a good shot from the 3 point line.  That twist may prove interesting.

That would require me seeing a lot of them going in before I would want to see another one attempted:)

53 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We don't need him to be a great shooter, true.

But he better become a much-improved shooter if there are other guys on the roster who could play his position and do the things he does well but can also shoot it from deep.  I don't think it would be far-fetched, based on what we've heard about him, to see Palmer fit in at the 3 and maybe a guy like Thomas Allen and a bag of chips fill in at the 2.

The difference between Isaiah and Glynn (you make the comparison to Watson as a basis for thinking Isaiah will likewise improve) is that Glynn had a good foundation of solid mechanics to build from.  We knew he could shoot; he'd hit some clutch shots as a freshman.  But, whereas Glynn shot 20 of 75 from three as a freshman, Isaiah only hit 4 of 20.

I love Isaiah.  I love his upside.  His athleticism to length ratio is superb.  But he's not a lock to start if there are other guys who can bring what he brings plus hit that perimeter jumper.  

Which is why I continue to harp on the fact that he has 104 days of summer vacation before school comes along just to end it.  And I have a suggestion for him to consider of how exactly to spend it:  He needs to enlist the help of Phineas and Ferb to build him a damn jump shot.

My reference to Watson isn't to set the expectation for Roby to become a 40% 3pt shooter as much as it was that Roby, like Watson as a freshman, has shown that he's an elite level athlete and talented basketball player.   AFAIC, Roby's issues were more mental than physical.  I'm sure being stronger and more prepared physically could have helped, but from what I saw, it was his hesitation or apprehension that held him back more than any physical issues.   IMO, a lot of those issues will not be relevant in the coming year.

He may not be a lock to start, but IYAM, I don't see a lot of other guys who can bring the upside that he can.  So they better be able to deliver at a very high level a skill he doesn't (i.e. shooting).  And until I see Nana or Allen doing that, it's hard for me to see someone replacing him in the lineup. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2017 at 9:41 PM, Norm Peterson said:

That's totally not correct.  At WORST he's eligible as soon as graduation occurs for the fall semester next year.  That's going to be on December 16.  He'll be eligible BEFORE the start of spring semester 2018.  And he'll probably be eligible right off the bat.

Man you were so wrong....and I was right. Just sayin

On 8/5/2017 at 4:14 PM, DOATHLON said:

Man you were so wrong....and I was right. Just sayin

Doathlon, thanks for resurrecting this old post.  It's certainly fodder for interesting discussion now that you've done so.  Your endzone dance on you being right and me wrong might be a little premature, however.  The events we're discussing aren't due to happen/not happen for several months yet.  But let's go back and explore what you and I both said so that we can determine what will have to happen for you to be right and me to be wrong and vice versa.

For this, we'll need to go back and actually look at what you and I both said 4 months ago.  First you:

On 4/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, DOATHLON said:

Hope you all realize that Copeland may not be eligible until second semester. That means he misses all of non con and to make matters worse the big 10 moved the season up a week to start in mid December meaning he may miss 4 B10 games. That's brutal.

Then me:

On 4/12/2017 at 9:41 PM, Norm Peterson said:

That's totally not correct.  At WORST he's eligible as soon as graduation occurs for the fall semester next year.  That's going to be on December 16.  He'll be eligible BEFORE the start of spring semester 2018.  And he'll probably be eligible right off the bat.

You said Copeland might not be eligible until second semester and would miss all of the non con as well as 4 Big Ten games.

I said that Copeland, at worst, would be eligible on December 16, the day we play Kansas, which is certainly a non-con opponent.

So, if Copeland plays on December 16 against KU, I'm right and you're wrong.

If Copeland doesn't play until January 8, 2018 when the second semester begins, then you're right and I'm wrong.

And we're talking eligibility here, so if he's injured it doesn't count.

If it turns out you're right, I will gladly come on here and acknowledge your superior awareness of the game of basketball and its various rules.  

However, if it turns out I'm right ...

3 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

Fair enough. I am very confident he won't be eligible to play until the second semester begins. That of course is in January. You are saying he's eligible as soon as the 1st semester ends. That's a huge difference. I want you to be right......but, I fear your not

It's after 1st semester graduation, which is going to be the morning of Dec. 16.

By the way, the NU-KU game will likely be in the evening on Dec.16, so that would be the 1st game for a mid-year transfer (assuming the I.C. waiver is not granted).

Edited by AuroranHusker

Is it acceptable to go back to the original subject, or is this thread now reserved exclusively for quibbling?  Assuming the former...

Here was my original guess way back in January:

Watson

Taylor

Roby

Jacobson

Morrow

Here's what we know now but didn't know then:

-Morrow, Jacobson, and Horne transferred

-Palmer eligible

-Allen added to roster

-Copeland likely ineligible for first semester

So all things considered, my guess at opening day starters is now: