Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't know about that.

First of all, we haven't had a lot of upper classmen for them to get longer leashes than freshmen and a lot of freshmen have played major roles for us since Miles has been here.

Second, I take at face value when Gill says he'll be fully healed.  And, if he is, I think we'll see a totally different player out there.  If memory serves me, Anton's knee troubles began before the season last year and I suspect he was never really at 100% before going down for the season.  I agree "my best basketball ahead of me" is player-speak.  But we'll have to wait and see because if he's the player he was in that scrimmage back when we know he was healthy, well, that player would be a serious weapon for us.

We'll see.

"Upper classmen" may not be the correct terminology. But i will cite how Horne had a rather short leash last year as a freshman even though you saw Jack McVeigh making similair defensive mistakes. And it seemed that like the only difference was McVeigh had an extra year under TM.

Im not saying Gill wont come back better than ever bc i hope he does. But im just skeptical bc what else is he gonna say. Hes not gonna say "after the injury im half the player i once was". Im basically just trying to minimize expectations for Gill.

It's been discussed in another thread to a degree, but it's going to be crucial to see where Roby best fits.

I think offensively he is best as a 3 until he gets 3-pt range. If he hits the 3 at a 38% clip..playing the 2 with Jordy Copeland Jack would be a nice, long lineup. 

Defensively he's pretty good running the 1-3-1. I like him up top but he can cover the whole court with skip passes, bounce passes...any kind of pass. At top of 1-3-1 he's going to get his share of steals and slams.

So to me, how he fits will give us a good idea of how the team goes. And I feel he will be the most improved player on our team. If he's slightly better than last year, then you have to hope Allen, Akenten, Taylor etc can play big minutes.

I think Roby fits somewhere between a 3 and a 4 rather than between a 2 and a 3.

I see him as having some Shavon Shields characteristics.  His best offensive attribute is his ability to get to the rim.  That's a tool that's very important in a Miles offense.

I'd like to see him get into the 30s in 3-point percentage this year.  But we'll have better shooters as options for the off-guard position.  If he can shoot 3s at a 38% clip?  He'd be one hell of a ... small forward.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think Roby fits somewhere between a 3 and a 4 rather than between a 2 and a 3.

I see him as having some Shavon Shields characteristics.  His best offensive attribute is his ability to get to the rim.  That's a tool that's very important in a Miles offense.

I'd like to see him get into the 30s in 3-point percentage this year.  But we'll have better shooters as options for the off-guard position.  If he can shoot 3s at a 38% clip?  He'd be one hell of a ... small forward.

Tweener forward is definitely where he is right now. I've made the Shields comparison myself before. Wing capable of playing at the four who is good at getting to the basket an is a decent passer. Roby has a lot more defensive potential though with his length and isn't the same kind of finisher/natural scorer Shields is. He played a lot of power forward last season for a reason. He needs to raise his skill level to be more comfortable on the wing, to cut down on turnovers and knock down jumpers at a better rate. 

15 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I would expect this to the starting lineup for the majority of the season:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

Isaiah Roby

Isaac Copeland (or Duby Okeke if waiver isn't granted)

Jorday Tshimanga

No way i see Duby and Jordy on the court at the same time. If Copeland isnt eligible i think we're more likely to see McVeigh or Palmer in the lineup

30 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

Isaiah Roby

Jorday Tshimanga

Eh, we all had the lineup pegged this time last year and it ended up being wildly different when we got to the real thing. The only one, if healthy I'd lock in is Watson. Everything else is up for grabs.

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Eh, we all had the lineup pegged this time last year and it ended up being wildly different when we got to the real thing. The only one, if healthy I'd lock in is Watson. Everything else is up for grabs.

You dont think, if healthy, Jordy is a lock to start at center?

48 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

Isaiah Roby

Jorday Tshimanga

There is a 0.0% chance Okeke starts at the 4.  It's either him or (most likely) Jordy at the 5.

To me it seems like the most competition is at the 2 spot. Youve got your incumbent ET, a 4 star transfer James Palmer, hot freshman commodity Thomas Allen, and Anton Gill coming off an injury.

Id say Watson and Jordy are as good as locks at PG and C. With some type of combination of Roby/Copeland/McVeigh at the 3 and 4 spots.

18 minutes ago, khoock said:

To me it seems like the most competition is at the 2 spot. Youve got your incumbent ET, a 4 star transfer James Palmer, hot freshman commodity Thomas Allen, and Anton Gill coming off an injury.

Id say Watson and Jordy are as good as locks at PG and C. With some type of combination of Roby/Copeland/McVeigh at the 3 and 4 spots.

Nana may even be a candidate at the 2.  And although not the best of fits, Isaiah played minutes at the 2 last year.  Again, I do not see that happening this year, but if we want to create match up issues, you can have Isaiah play the 4 and play him in a point forward role.  Holy Christmas, this team seems to have talent and a load of flexibility...but can we win???

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

Isaiah Roby

Jorday Tshimanga

I look at it like this... Any way that you twist or turn who is going to be on the floor for us... I am ok with it.  That is something that I haven't been able to say in previous years.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I look at it like this... Any way that you twist or turn who is going to be on the floor for us... I am ok with it.  That is something that I haven't been able to say in previous years.

My complete guess is that by mid-January, we see a starting 5 of Watson, Palmer, Roby, Copeland and Tshimanga.  If Watson needs a breather, we could even see Roby taking the ball-handling responsibilities as a point forward. He may be a better option at point than either Taylor or Gill. 

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

With Copeland:

Watson/Palmer/Roby/Copeland/Jordy

Without:

Watson/Palmer/McVeigh/Roby/Jordy

This is where I'm at right now. 

Remember last year that Miles started all his experienced guys to open the season last year - Watson, Webster, McVeigh, Jacobson, Morrow. Can't rule out three-guard lineups with someone like Taylor starting simply because of his experience. That's also why I hesitate to bump Allen ahead of anyone before he even steps foot on campus. Injuries had an impact, but it took Roby a while to get on the floor in a significant manner. Another thing to consider is if Copeland doesn't get his immediate eligibility Roby and McVeigh will be counted on to fill all of the PF minutes, which makes three-guard lineups more likely. 

It's kind of funny. Last year, Nebraska basically had a ton of tweener forwards, one center, one point guard and a couple off-guards. Now, Nebraska has two centers, two forwards (until Copeland is eligible) and a ton of guards. Watson, Palmer, Taylor, Gill, Akenten and Allen is six guys for the 1-2-3 spots without even factoring in some minute sat the 3 for McVeigh and/or Roby.

1 hour ago, Coaches kid said:

My complete guess is that by mid-January, we see a starting 5 of Watson, Palmer, Roby, Copeland and Tshimanga.  If Watson needs a breather, we could even see Roby taking the ball-handling responsibilities as a point forward. He may be a better option at point than either Taylor or Gill. 

Taylor, Palmer and Allen are all more likely secondary ball-handling options than Roby at this point. Isaiah has a lot of playmaking potential, but he doesn't handle the ball well enough with any kind of pressure to run an offense. 

18 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Taylor, Palmer and Allen are all more likely secondary ball-handling options than Roby at this point. Isaiah has a lot of playmaking potential, but he doesn't handle the ball well enough with any kind of pressure to run an offense. 

Haven't seen Palmer handle the ball so I don't know. While I know he handled point in a limited capacity I didn't think Taylor had the handles for being someone we'd want to play point for more than a few minutes. Allen could be the second guy. I think against certain matchups, Roby's ball skills are good enough that he could be an option (like a Scottie Pippen) to be the facilitator on the court. 

3 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

Haven't seen Palmer handle the ball so I don't know. While I know he handled point in a limited capacity I didn't think Taylor had the handles for being someone we'd want to play point for more than a few minutes. Allen could be the second guy. I think against certain matchups, Roby's ball skills are good enough that he could be an option (like a Scottie Pippen) to be the facilitator on the court. 

Palmer handled the ball in practice a lot last year and I've been told he's good at making plays with the ball in his hands. Taylor isn't a point guard but he can bring the ball down and get the team into an offensive set. Roby had the highest turnover percentage on the team by far last year.

10 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Palmer handled the ball in practice a lot last year and I've been told he's good at making plays with the ball in his hands. Taylor isn't a point guard but he can bring the ball down and get the team into an offensive set. Roby had the highest turnover percentage on the team by far last year.

Based on what?  Webster had the most turnovers on the team last year and Roby was like 5th in total turnovers.  Are you talking about turnovers per minutes played or what are you referring to?

6 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Based on what?  Webster had the most turnovers on the team last year and Roby was like 5th in total turnovers.  Are you talking about turnovers per minutes played or what are you referring to?

Turnover percentage: an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays. He was at 25.7 percent last year. Tshimanga was second at 22.6%.

16 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

i get it. He made some freshman mistakes and his injury kept him from fully developing. It was obvious, however, that his ceiling is very high. You don't see many 6'9" kids as fluid or handle the ball as well as he does. Many of his mistakes weren't attributable to lack of talent - I felt it had more to do with confidence and learning how to play at the Big 10 level. When you overthink things, you play much slower and are prone to making mistakes. If and when he gets beyond that, he has the potential to be a nightmare match-up (offensively and defensively). He will be able to take people off the dribble and get to the rack with his size. Very excited tee see if that develops

30 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Turnover percentage: an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays. He was at 25.7 percent last year. Tshimanga was second at 22.6%.

I guess I'm not sure then how they calculate turnover percentage.  So is this saying that Roby turned the ball over 25 times out of every 100 plays?

27 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Quite poor especially for not handling the ball much.  Speaking of Tai though you'll notice similar turnover numbers from his freshman year.  I think it's possible for Roby to tighten this up, especially since he had a few of those 'deer in the headlights' turnovers.  He certainly would need to if we want to use him in a TP-like fashion for instigating the offense.