Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

7 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Someone I recently talked to inside the program told me Palmer "should start at the 2" FWIW.

I saw one practice in early March and in scrimmage Palmer shot the three reasonably well and looked like he belonged. Something in his shot led me to believe that he may be a streak shooter but I am no expert so take that with a grain of salt. He is long and seemed to have good handles.

1 minute ago, MandRHusker said:

I saw one practice in early March and in scrimmage Palmer shot the three reasonably well and looked like he belonged. Something in his shot led me to believe that he may be a streak shooter but I am no expert so take that with a grain of salt. He is long and seemed to have good handles.

Spot on. They don't expect him to be a knock-down shooter, but mid-30s like he was as a freshman is good enough that teams have to respect it. He's good with the ball in his hands.

2 hours ago, Thattimeofyear4 said:

Working on it every day with a few other's as well

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Do you know if Isaiah has off-season goals he is working towards?  For example, improved vertical (not that he needs to) or weight/muscle gain? 

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure this is the best place for it, but has anyone heard eligibility news for our roster next year? Such as Palmer and Copeland (see also: health)? I know Copeland is NCAA so not much insider there. But if we know their eligibility a starting 5 would be a heck of a lot easier to predict.

All I have ever heard are rumors that Palmer has academic issues.  Has there been any foundational/factual information that supports possible issues or just rumors?  Nothing heard yet on Copeland, and that is a bit perplexing since the scuttlebutt was that were suppose to hear by the end of April.  I guess no new is better than bad news.  

Wonder how long it takes to "dot i's and cross t's" ? This stinks of bureaucratic lethargy to me with everyone on vacation and papers gathering dust on someone's desk. Someone needs to be put on a deadline because you know the NCAA likes to stall on their decision for as long as possible. The good news from the article is no mention of any problem with Palmer.

Honestly is horse dong if you ask me.  The best player (star wise) we have ever had and we are not pushing the envelope on this?  

Looks like we may may not see Copeland until the 12th of the wrong month which would be a shame.  I am officially starting to worry a little bit.

I do realize that we have all summer, but this should have been done before the school year was out.  Come on Admin!  Get it together!

On 4/28/2017 at 2:48 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

Someone I recently talked to inside the program told me Palmer "should start at the 2" FWIW.

Palmer starting at the 2 is not a reach.  Taylor really should be our backup PG.  There is no guarantee Gill will be 100% next year.  Akenten and Allen will play, but few freshmen come in ready to start day 1.  

I would assume Palmer will play unless we hear otherwise.  

I am more curious who starts the 3.  

Edited by Donkey

In the same article, Miles mentions that he feels he has the players in place to build his desired 9-man rotation.  With 11 guys on scholarship, who gets left out?  I'm guessing it's 2 of these 3: Gill, McVeigh, and Nana.

It will probably be a variable 9 per usual....you'll have 6-8 guys that are locked in for playing time which leaves 3-5 guys that could see inconsistent playing time.

Until he's cleared, Copeland isn't a part of the rotation.

19 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It will probably be a variable 9 per usual....you'll have 6-8 guys that are locked in for playing time which leaves 3-5 guys that could see inconsistent playing time.

Until he's cleared, Copeland isn't a part of the rotation.

I agree with Copeland not being included until he gets cleared to play.  Because of that, you likely will see Jack and Isaiah playing in some sort of hybrid PF role. 

In my eyes, no player on this roster lacks talent. In the past NU has always had 2-3 guys that were either not good or only had one small talent or thing they didn't suck at. These players all have tools. So I don't think you'll see a scholarship guy play only the final minute of blowouts and once every 8 games. They're all gonna play, if healthy. And it's going to vary widely from game to game. I don't think that's a good thing or a bad thing. But you might see all scholarship players play 20 minutes every few games.

I've got a weird, good feeling about this season. You don't have to agree with me. I'm just telling you what I'm feeling.

So, now that the roster appears to have settled down somewhat, I've been thinking about this thread and ... someone help me out, please.

Which Rivals 4-star do you think is going to start for us at off-guard?

I know which Rivals 4-star is going to be the man at point, but I'm just not sure which Rivals 4-star will start at shooting guard and which will come off the bench.

More puzzling still is which Rivals 4-star is going to start at wing.  Because that depends, to some extent, on which Rivals 4-star ends up getting the starting nod at the 2.  It might mean that a Rivals 4-star who would have started at the 3 shifts to the 4 because a Rivals 4-star who could have started at the 2 ends up starting at the 3 because another Rivals 4-star ended up getting the nod at the 2.

If Rivals 5-star wins his appeal (or after he sits out), I think our starting lineup next year could look like this:

PG -- ****

SG -- ****

SF -- ****

PF -- *****

C -- *** (Rivals 150)

And that leaves a bench that consists of ****, ****, *** (Rivals 150) and maybe either *** or ***.

That right there's a hell of a lineup.

Agree with UNL in that really for the first time...there isn't a 'dud' in the bunch.   A couple who I'm not overly high on, but none that are just downright bad like we've had in past years.

I think in terms of potential...we want Taylor and McVeigh to be the odd men out.   McVeigh's ability to play the stretch 4 will give him some time though due to our front court depth.   Safe to say that if Allen and Nana are as legit as their rankings and GIll really does recover...Taylor is the odd man out.  Though I wouldn't be upset with him getting backup point guard minutes to spell Watson occasionally.  Really think we'd just assume have Allen/Palmer/Gill/Nana/Roby take control of the 2&3

I have a hard time seeing upper classmen riding the bench with Miles as we know he typically gives them longer leashes than freshmen.

Its tough to predict whose gonna get left out (which im taking as a good thing). I think the only one im sold on being the odd man out is Gill. Thats a tough injury to come back 100% plus do you expect him to say anything other than "i have my best basketball ahead of me".

9 minutes ago, khoock said:

I have a hard time seeing upper classmen riding the bench with Miles as we know he typically gives them longer leashes than freshmen.

Its tough to predict whose gonna get left out (which im taking as a good thing). I think the only one im sold on being the odd man out is Gill. Thats a tough injury to come back 100% plus do you expect him to say anything other than "i have my best basketball ahead of me".

I do too...that's what concerns me

It is too early, but here is my best guess at a starting line up...for the first game.  Things may be pretty fluid for the first few weeks.

PG - Glynn

SG - James or Nana or Thomas

W - Isaiah or Jack

PF - Isaac or Jack or Isaiah

P - Jordy

2 hours ago, khoock said:

I don't know about that.

First of all, we haven't had a lot of upper classmen for them to get longer leashes than freshmen and a lot of freshmen have played major roles for us since Miles has been here.

Second, I take at face value when Gill says he'll be fully healed.  And, if he is, I think we'll see a totally different player out there.  If memory serves me, Anton's knee troubles began before the season last year and I suspect he was never really at 100% before going down for the season.  I agree "my best basketball ahead of me" is player-speak.  But we'll have to wait and see because if he's the player he was in that scrimmage back when we know he was healthy, well, that player would be a serious weapon for us.

We'll see.