Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

27 minutes ago, Thattimeofyear4 said:

Idk I have to admit I've only been following nebrasketball for maybe 2 yrs now but it seems to me with whats here already and 2 open scholarships.
I might be crazy but I'm expecting BIG leaps ahead for those that played minutes last yr and are still here.
I hear Palmer is really hard to guard and can shoot so I could see him playing a lot
I'm gonna go as far as to say that barring anything crazy happening that this team will make it too the sweet 16 at least next yr

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I'll take this every day and twice on Sunday's

I don't see Watson and Allen playing together much.  That would be a small backcourt.

PG:  Watson / Allen / Taylor / Gill 

SG:  Palmer / Nana / Gill

SF:  Copeland / McVeigh / Roby / Taylor

PF:  Roby / ?? / Copeland / McVeigh

C:  Jordy / Okeke

I still see one glaring hole on the team and Hans would fill that nicely and if Copeland isn't eligible first semester, that hole is even bigger.  I like having both Allen and Nana getting minutes, but allowing them to transition to college ball off the bench.  I'd like to think all starters will get 20-30 minutes and the back-up will get the remaining 10-20 minutes.  I like the looks of this team.  If we can get Hans, I would hold the last scholly for a transfer or bank it.

Even with the Allen commit I'm still leaning towards a starting 5 of:

-Glynn Watson 30 min

-James Palmer 24 min

-Isaiah Roby 25 min

-Isaac Copeland 25 min

-Jordy Tshimanga 22 min

6. Jack McVeigh 20 min

7. Nana Akenten 16 min

8. Thomas Allen 16 min

9. Duby Okeke 12 min

10. Evan Taylor 10 min

11. Anton Gill 0+ min

12. Tanner Borchardt 0+ min

8 minutes ago, khoock said:

Even with the Allen commit I'm still leaning towards a starting 5 of:

-Glynn Watson 30 min

-James Palmer 24 min

-Isaiah Roby 25 min

-Isaac Copeland 25 min

-Jordy Tshimanga 22 min

6. Jack McVeigh 20 min

7. Nana Akenten 16 min

8. Thomas Allen 16 min

9. Duby Okeke 12 min

10. Evan Taylor 10 min

11. Anton Gill 0+ min

12. Tanner Borchardt 0+ min

Don't see McVeigh consistently getting 20 mpg (again...assuming we get Brase) and don't see Gill at zero.   But I do think Gill is going to be one of the last guys in the rotation.

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Don't see McVeigh consistently getting 20 mpg (again...assuming we get Brase) and don't see Gill at zero.   But I do think Gill is going to be one of the last guys in the rotation.

I just have a hard time believing Brase, coming off of two major injuries, steals time from McVeigh. I think McVeigh will be improved from last year. I see Brase as more of a depth provider just incase we have injuries, which is totally fine since he only has one year to play.

I use the 0+ min to indicate that Gill will play but won't be a regular part of the rotation every game. Like a Fuller/ Horne type of role for last year.

Gill and Taylor's minutes will be determined by how healthy Gill can get. If he's pre-injury, he'll play and play a lot. He'll take Taylor's minutes, I think. We haven't seen a healthy Gill yet. But our defense seemed to take a dive once he went down. I have no idea what to make of Palmer. I think he could be a starter, I think he could find himself as the 7th or 8th man in the rotation.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Gill and Taylor's minutes will be determined by how healthy Gill can get. If he's pre-injury, he'll play and play a lot. He'll take Taylor's minutes, I think. We haven't seen a healthy Gill yet. But our defense seemed to take a dive once he went down. I have no idea what to make of Palmer. I think he could be a starter, I think he could find himself as the 7th or 8th man in the rotation.

I think our defense took a dive because of the conference season, not because of Gill. 

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

I just have a hard time believing Brase, coming off of two major injuries, steals time from McVeigh. I think McVeigh will be improved from last year. I see Brase as more of a depth provider just incase we have injuries, which is totally fine since he only has one year to play.

I use the 0+ min to indicate that Gill will play but won't be a regular part of the rotation every game. Like a Fuller/ Horne type of role for last year.

I think Brase will be a warm body...but McVeigh is already going to lose time because of Copeland, Roby's extra year of experience and Nana and Palmer.  If you add Brase to the mix who can play some time at a stretch 4...that's even less opportunity for McVeigh.

16 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I have no idea what to make of Palmer. I think he could be a starter, I think he could find himself as the 7th or 8th man in the rotation.

If i'm crunching the numbers correctly, Palmer on an off year would put up offensively what Taylor did last year. I don't think he has Taylor's handles though and no clue what he's like defensively. 

16 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think our defense took a dive because of the conference season, not because of Gill. 

That's probably true. Looking back through the numbers, other than Creighton, whenever we played a high major school in the non-con, they shot 39% or better. We were just bad at 3-point defense. Maybe they should extend that pack line a bit instead of contracting it again.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

That's probably true. Looking back through the numbers, other than Creighton, whenever we played a high major school in the non-con, they shot 39% or better. We were just bad at 3-point defense. Maybe they should extend that pack line a bit instead of contracting it again.

I think three point defense centers around a couple of things: 1-If you have to double the post. (Hopefully Okeke, and Jordy can man up one on one in the paint so we don't have to give up as many open looks on the outside and 2-transition defense (finding shooters on the run)

1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I think three point defense centers around a couple of things: 1-If you have to double the post. (Hopefully Okeke, and Jordy can man up one on one in the paint so we don't have to give up as many open looks on the outside and 2-transition defense (finding shooters on the run)

Add that help defense HAS to get better too.  To many times a guy last year got beat off dribble and the next guy in line never stepped in allowing a layup or the second person was late.  Hoping Jordy and Okeke step in at the proper time to not allow the pass to their guy.

2 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Unless you're playing Purdue or Michigan State - if you have to double the post with Okeke in the game, then he probably won't be playing much.  If you have to double with Jordy in, then Jordy better be putting up big numbers on the offensive end.

On 4/24/2017 at 0:00 PM, uneblinstu said:

So you think Anton Gill coming off yet another surgically repaired knee is a better defender than the recently crowned defensive MVP of the team?

Taylor had 4 steals in a game.  Twice.  That's as many steals as Gill had all season.  There's no player on this team I want to succeed more than Gill, but I think he may struggle to find a spot.  But he does have excellent length and if he can hit the 3, then I think he can pull some minutes from Palmer and Taylor.

Totally agree.  I had a hard time seeing how Taylor would fit in when we signed him, but he definitely filled a role.  Other than shooting, he is one of the better guys on our roster at everything we've asked him to do: decent ball handler, versatile defender, can slash to the hoop, good rebounder for his size, actually moves without the ball on offense, etc.  Granted, being a below average shooter is a glaring weakness when you're primarily SG/wing type of guy, especially because that's what most fans latch onto.  But there's no way Taylor goes from a starter last year to mop up duty next year.  I think his floor is 17-20 minutes/game, and even then I would expect to see him as a team captain and in the starting lineup. 

9 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

So you think Anton Gill coming off yet another surgically repaired knee is a better defender than the recently crowned defensive MVP of the team?

Taylor had 4 steals in a game.  Twice.  That's as many steals as Gill had all season.  There's no player on this team I want to succeed more than Gill, but I think he may struggle to find a spot.  But he does have excellent length and if he can hit the 3, then I think he can pull some minutes from Palmer and Taylor.

Depends on how close to pre-injury status he can get, and I'm talking pre-last-summers injury. That player could certainly help us and, yes, would take Taylor's minutes, I think. If he can't, then he might struggle to see the floor. But if he gets back to being able to hit from three, he's going to do a lot more than pull minutes from Palmer and Taylor.

Taylor will still have a role, but there are a lot of factors that will weight into exactly how much.

Edited by uneblinstu

Guards (pick 3):

Allen

Akenten

Gill

Palmer

Taylor

Watson

Wings (pick 3):

Akenten

Copeland

McVeigh

Palmer

Roby

Taylor

Bigs (pick 3):

Borchardt

Copeland

McVeigh

Roby

Tshimanga

Okeke

The hardest part for me was the Jack, Palmer, and Gill spot.  I think Taylor's minutes are his to lose next year.  I thought he was one of those guys that just helped the offense flow and was solid defensively.  He doesn't need to go for 12 points a game to be a key player.  We're going to need guys to know their role and I think he does, and he played that role well last year.  Problem was, the other guys might have known their role but couldn't full fill them consistently.  (At times they might not have know their role though) I think Tia did as a go to scorer/attacker and Jordy started to at center, but the other guys were pretty inconsistent. 

I see us having an offense looking more like it did in 2007-08 season, 1-in 4-out look, or, like 95% of high schools called it in the late 90's..... "Husker".  We obviously had a more dominate big guy "down-under" that year, but I feel we have a MUCH better attack overall then we did that year.  (I did love me some Ade though)  I think that will work great if Jordy continues to develop, but might not work as well if Okeke can't do anything offensively.  Might also cause some match-up problems for our opponent if Copeland works on the block and pops out to 15 feet and works some one-on-one.  Against a zone, I think Copeland could be a zone killer at that 10-12 foot range.

But...... If Gill or Plamer is stroking...... put in the hot hand.  

5 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Totally agree.  I had a hard time seeing how Taylor would fit in when we signed him, but he definitely filled a role.  Other than shooting, he is one of the better guys on our roster at everything we've asked him to do: decent ball handler, versatile defender, can slash to the hoop, good rebounder for his size, actually moves without the ball on offense, etc.  Granted, being a below average shooter is a glaring weakness when you're primarily SG/wing type of guy, especially because that's what most fans latch onto.  But there's no way Taylor goes from a starter last year to mop up duty next year.  I think his floor is 17-20 minutes/game, and even then I would expect to see him as a team captain and in the starting lineup. 

Agreed.  As the season wore on, it became evident that Taylor was the most well-rounded player on the roster (next to Tai, of course).  Last year's squad gave up the most points of any in the Tim Miles era, and the perimeter defense was terrible too as evidenced by the highest 3FG% allowed by a Tim Miles Nebraska team.  Even if his shot isn't falling, Taylor has a sizable role on next year's team.