Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I took a few minutes a couple of years ago and went through how the Rivals 150 had done their freshman season at whatever school they wound up at.  I think I looked at a few years worth of Rivals 150 guys.  As I remember it, the guys in the top 50 were typically starters or major contributors; the guys in the middle 50 were more often than not major contributors; and the guys in the third 50 (not going to say "bottom 50" because they're still among the best recruits in the country) sometimes were major contributors and sometimes didn't do much at all their freshman seasons.  

Thomas Allen is in that middle 50 group.  There's a really good probability that he comes in ready to go right away.

But, based on our needs and Nana's skillset, I have to think he's got a really good shot at contributing right away as well.

Allen will absolutely contribute.  And if by chance the Palmer grades issue is legit, then Allen will play A LOT.  

I think Nana's chance at being a solid contributor actually goes up with the addition of Allen.  Granted, I know they are both indirectly competing against each other for back court minutes.  But that is more than offset by bringing in a great distributor like Allen.  The highlights I've seen of Nana tell me he will be a very good spot-up shooter, but likely needs some space to get his shot off cleanly and consistently while adjusting to the speed of the college game.  I'm also not sure he'll be immediately adept at creating his own shot.  But his three strengths from what I've seen (shooting open 3's, transition offense, and pump fake/drive/dunk) will absolutely be maximized by having two guys in the back court that can create space for him.  I think he'll be most effective playing in a lineup like:

Allen

Watson

Nana

Copeland

Jordy

I know a lot of people on here have penciled him in as a regular at SG, but I think his skills would translate best in a lineup with two other guards and him playing SF.  Just my two cents. 

I think people pencilled Nana in at SG mostly because a) we didn't have Thomas Allen yet; b ) we have uncertainty about Gill's recovery; and c) we weren't sure what would happen with Palmer given the rumors about his grades.  We had other guys who could play wing but not a lot of depth at guard.

Edited by Norm Peterson

35 minutes ago, nustudent said:

The one thing that gives me hope is that we don't need either one to replace Webster.   We have enough options to somewhat absorb the loss.   We simply need them to fill a roll.  If we can get 7-8 a game from them individually as an outside threat, they change our landscape 

True.  They are both guys who could average over 40% from three point range for a team that had only one guy at about 40% a year ago.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Allen will absolutely contribute.  And if by chance the Palmer grades issue is legit, then Allen will play A LOT.  

I think Nana's chance at being a solid contributor actually goes up with the addition of Allen.  Granted, I know they are both indirectly competing against each other for back court minutes.  But that is more than offset by bringing in a great distributor like Allen.  The highlights I've seen of Nana tell me he will be a very good spot-up shooter, but likely needs some space to get his shot off cleanly and consistently while adjusting to the speed of the college game.  I'm also not sure he'll be immediately adept at creating his own shot.  But his three strengths from what I've seen (shooting open 3's, transition offense, and pump fake/drive/dunk) will absolutely be maximized by having two guys in the back court that can create space for him.  I think he'll be most effective playing in a lineup like:

Allen

Watson

Nana

Copeland

Jordy

I know a lot of people on here have penciled him in as a regular at SG, but I think his skills would translate best in a lineup with two other guards and him playing SF.  Just my two cents. 

I'll be shocked if Nana is starting ahead of Roby but if can beat him out for the spot, then good for him.  I can that lineup except I think Roby starts and Nana comes off the bench.

42 minutes ago, nustudent said:

AFAIC...4 of the 5 starters are locked up.  It's just a matter of who out of Taylor, Gill, Palmer, Allen and Nana emerges at the two.  My guess would be Palmer as of now.

Watson, Roby, Copeland and Jordy are either too good or have too high of ceilings not to start.

Roby is going to have to make major improvements to start realizing that ceiling to call him a must start player. 

9 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Roby is going to have to make major improvements to start realizing that ceiling to call him a must start player. 

He needs to improve.  But his ceiling is higher than anyone else we have.  Unless Nana comes in as a legit stud, no one else should beat him out as the 3 

That's pretty much the starting 5 I named a month or so ago ... Glynn, Roby, Copeland and Jordy and then see how the SG recruiting situation shakes out.  

I think Miles would love to have two guards like Glynn and Thomas Allen on the floor together.  I think Roby has the best slashing ability of the other players.  He still needs to groove that jump shot.  And then Isaac Copeland has proven he can hit from deep in addition to just being an all-around versatile scorer.

We need another big to back up Jordy.  Prioritize size and athleticism over skill because he'll mostly need to be able to get offensive rebound put-backs.

Feeling a lot better about our situation next year than I was a couple of short weeks ago.

4 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I'll be shocked if Nana is starting ahead of Roby but if can beat him out for the spot, then good for him.  I can that lineup except I think Roby starts and Nana comes off the bench.

My apologies if I wasn't clear, but I wasn't implying Nana will be a starter.  Simply stating that his playing time should occur when there's two true guards on the floor with him.  I don't like his film as a 2; I don't think he's quick enough for extended minutes at that position, and I'm not convinced he can consistently get his shot off with a speedy guard in his hip pocket.  I do like his film as a 3, especially with distributors like Allen and Watson on the floor with him.  But yeah, I agree it would be shocking if he was in our starting lineup.

28 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I am in a minority but I like what Evan Taylor produces.  He needs to be a consistent scoring option to go along with his rebounding and defensive abilities.

I'm with you.  I though Evan was the only player on our team that actually got better during our end of season meltdown, while everyone else's game went down the toilet.  I think he will be a decent outside shooter for us next year.  And now that Ed and Michael have exited stage left, I'm guessing Evan is the front runner to be team captain.  All those things put together tell me that he's got the inside track to be a starter.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think people pencilled Nana in at SG mostly because a) we didn't have Thomas Allen yet; b ) we have uncertainty about Gill's recovery; and c) we weren't sure what would happen with Palmer given the rumors about his grades.  We had other guys who could play wing but not a lot of depth at guard.

Very true.

I'm hoping Allen can come in and give us something in the neighborhood of 24 quality minutes per game right away. 

At this point you pencil Glynn in for 32-35 minutes until someone else earns more PT.  So give him the remaining 16 mpg at point, and around 17 mpg playing next to Allen at SG.

That leaves 23ish minutes up for grabs from Gill, Palmer, and Taylor (when he's not playing the 3).  

And that's why the Allen addition is so huge.  We go from needing to squeeze Nana into a SG role out of necessity (which I see as a square peg/round hole scenario), to letting him develop in a more natural wing role.

Roby is such a wild card for next year.  It really depends on his shooting.  

I thought there were plenty of games last year when McVeigh was a more valuable player for us, and vice versa.  Here's my revised lineup with a couple of assumptions:

Watson/Taylor/Gill

Allen/Nana/Gill

Copeland/McVeigh/Palmer

Roby/Blase

Jordy/Okeke

If you watch the film, Copeland has an SF game offensively and defensively.  Don't let 6'9" fool you--dude is a wing, which actually makes him a scary good 3 prospect.  I think this makes Roby our starting PF (point forward) because McVeigh can't guard the 4 in the post and Roby will abuse opposing 4s with the ball in his hands.  

I still see Nana as a 2 moreso than Palmer and McVeigh, though it would be as a 3 and D guy.  I think he can definitely guard the 2 with his length and athleticism.  

Edited by LK1

Curious if we see any tweaks or changes to our offensive attack next season.  Miles said on more than one occasion after the season concluded that we need to shoot a much better percentage from three.  It follows that he went after shooters in this off season recruiting.  

If it is true that the reason coaches sometimes favor the dribble drive offense is because of a deficiency in their perimeter game, the new additions of Allen, Akenten, Copeland and Palmer might result in us seeing some different offensive sets so as to give us a more three point oriented attack.  

Edited by hal9000

My current projected depth chart, with minutes in parenthesis:

PG: Allen (24) / Watson (16) / Taylor (spot minutes)

SG: Watson (17) / Gill (11) / Palmer (7) / Taylor (5)

SF: Taylor (15) / Palmer (8) / Roby (7) / Nana (5) / McVeigh (5)

PF: Copeland (20) / Roby (15) / McVeigh (5)

C: Jordy (24) / ? Backup (12) / Copeland (4) / Borchardt (spot minutes)

Total minutes per game projections: Watson (33), Allen (24), Jordy (24), Copeland (24), Roby (22), Taylor (20), Palmer (15), Backup Center (12), Gill (11), Jack (10), Nana (5)

2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Curious if we see any tweaks or changes to our offensive attack next season.  Miles said on more than one occasion after the season concluded that we need to shoot a much better percentage from three.  If follows that he went after shooters in this off season recruiting.  

If it is true that the reason coaches sometimes favor the dribble drive offense is because of a deficiency in their perimeter game, the new additions of Allen, Akenten, Copeland and Palmer might result in us seeing some different offensive sets so as to give us a more three point oriented attack.  

Please don't forget the increased potential of drawing fouls on a dribble-drive vs perimeter, and hence the possibilities for 3-point plays (i.e. Vance Walberg's Coaches Clinic Tutorial).

Based on everything I've read in the thread recently everyone has Copeland in the starting lineup. Do we know about his status next year for first semester or are people just assuming/hoping? Also same with palmer, however I'm not as concerned about his grade issues because that is his to control and not the NCAA.

14 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

My current projected depth chart, with minutes in parenthesis:

PG: Allen (24) / Watson (16) / Taylor (spot minutes)

SG: Watson (17) / Gill (11) / Palmer (7) / Taylor (5)

SF: Taylor (15) / Palmer (8) / Roby (7) / Nana (5) / McVeigh (5)

PF: Copeland (20) / Roby (15) / McVeigh (5)

C: Jordy (24) / ? Backup (12) / Copeland (4) / Borchardt (spot minutes)

Total minutes per game projections: Watson (33), Allen (24), Jordy (24), Copeland (24), Roby (22), Taylor (20), Palmer (15), Backup Center (12), Gill (11), Jack (10), Nana (5)

Why 33 minutes fo watson? Didn't he wear down by the end of the year. I was thinking more like 29 minutes so he will feel less pressure and be fresh by B10 season.