Handy Johnson

11 hours ago, LK1 said:

Compare that to next year's starting lineup (with a couple of big assumptions):

Watson

Akenten

McVeigh

Copeland

Jordy

The first glaring difference is that if Watson, Akenten, McVeigh, and Copeland stand outside of the 3pt line, all four of them HAVE to be guarded.  This leaves the possibility of a two-man game or one on one matchups with Watson (hello 18-20ppg) or Jordy (hello 10 free throws a game).  If we swap Roby for McVeigh or Copeland, we can run the same 2 man game through Roby and have Watson camp out from 3.  If they help, we kick to whoever for a 3, if not, we score at the rim.  Suddenly, we're Wisconsin.  

This offense, when it's humming, tends to rely on a couple of guys who can get to the rim.  Your lineup features 1, Glynn Watson.

Akenten is known for being a shooter.  So is McVeigh, although McVeigh has shown some ability to drive on certain defenders.  I think Copeland Starts.  I think Akenten or Palmer likely start, but they're both known for being more shooters than slashers.  So, you need another slasher.

I think that person is Isaiah Roby.  I think he fills the Shavon Shields role from 2-3 years ago.  It would help if he could also bury the deep ball, but he's one of the few guys on this team who can love the rim.  I think he starts instead of McVeigh.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Potentially even a bigger factor than how many guys prefer to score at the rim vs. the perimeter, is how many guys are more comfortable on the ball vs. off the ball offensively.

Using our end of year starting lineup, Tai and Glynn were far more dangerous with the ball in their hands.  Taylor also was a guy that didn't wow me off the ball.  Jordy did some nice work to position himself in the post, but usually still needed a dribble or two to put himself in a comfortable shooting situation.  Jacobson too.  Coming off the bench, we did have three guys who were skilled offensively off the ball: a streaky catch and shoot guy (McVeigh), a pick and roll guy with loads of starting experience (Morrow), and a guy who showed a knack for finding open spots on the floor via back cuts (Roby).  

Using what seems to be the most commonly accepted starting lineup, we're more balanced as far as who needs the ball in their hands to maximize their effectiveness.  Projected starters, with how I perceive their strength:

Glynn (on-ball)

Nana (off) / Palmer (on)

Roby (balanced)

Copeland (off)

Jordy (off...assuming some improvement over the summer)

Granted, I had to make some pretty big assumptions here, since I've only seen highlight videos of Nana, Palmer, and Copeland.  Their skill sets could very well be substantially different than how I perceive them.  But at least from a first glance, it appears that we've now got more guys comfortable working the offense without the rock in their hands.  Which is good.

18 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This offense, when it's humming, tends to rely on a couple of guys who can get to the rim.  Your lineup features 1, Glynn Watson.

Akenten is known for being a shooter.  So is McVeigh, although McVeigh has shown some ability to drive on certain defenders.  I think Copeland Starts.  I think Akenten or Palmer likely start, but they're both known for being more shooters than slashers.  So, you need another slasher.

I think that person is Isaiah Roby.  I think he fills the Shavon Shields role from 2-3 years ago.  It would help if he could also bury the deep ball, but he's one of the few guys on this team who can love the rim.  I think he starts instead of McVeigh.

I think both Akenten and Palmer will be able to take it to the rack, but neither one will be reliable to bring the ball up the court or run the offense.  I would've trusted Roby to bring it up this past season based on what I saw.  

As for Roby > McVeigh, I could definitely see that happening.  Based on the film I've seen, I think it could be very plausible that Copeland and Roby play completely interchangeably on the court at the same time, position-wise.  In fact, I think Roby is more of a 4 than Copeland defensively.  Copeland is quicker.  Roby is stronger/longer.  

I like the idea of Roby taking on a Shields role to some extent, but Roby is so much more talented as a passer, I just have trouble seeing that skill not being utilized.  

Thinking more about pick and roll, I'm thinking the best possibility is going to be Watson/Copeland.  Both can shoot, both have a midrange game, and Copeland is extremely agile at 6'9".  Basically, you either need 3 other 3p threats on the court or a 5 who wreaks havoc on the glass and bloodies up the baseline.  

I think Watson will improve as a passer, but he has a lot of Stockton in his game.  Copeland lives for that midrange jumper.  God I'd love to see Roby get that shot and a serviceable 3pt shot in his holster.  We'd be terrifying.  I actually think Jordy has potential to eventually knock down a 15 footer as well.  He has a soft touch as a free throw shooter.  

Ironically, Gill, who, Allen is aware of, and a reason for coming here, may end up the casualty of Allen's presence.

Simply have to have Allen or Akenten be a guy who is ready to go right away.   

Individually, again...we'll have some very nice components next year.   Whether they fit together as a team and the right buttons get pushed will be the question.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Ironically, Gill, who, Allen is aware of, and a reason for coming here, may end up the casualty of Allen's presence.

Individually, again...we'll have some very nice components next year.   Whether they fit together as a team and the right buttons get pushed will be the question.

I think the three that'll hurt most are Jack, Evan, and then Gill.

Isn't Gill a big question mark anyway, depending on the extent of his recovery from his season-ending injury requiring extensive surgery?  As I understand it he could come back to nearly 100%, or (I certainly hope not) barely be able to contribute, in which case his minutes would be severely constrained.

Edited by Red Don

Evan is a solid kid who, while he doesn't shoot very well from outside, doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has good length on defense.  I think he'll still find minutes.  

Miles' offense utilizes point guards and he can play a couple at a time.  He just wants PGs who can shoot the ball and Glynn and Thomas Allen both appear to fill that bill.

I'm hopeful that Gill can return to his old form, because I think healthy Gill was more like what we saw in his first open scrimmage rather than the Gill who seemed slowed by that knee all last season until he finally went down.  But, Thomas Allen is a very nice insurance policy in the event that doesn't happen.

9 hours ago, nustudent said:

I took a few minutes a couple of years ago and went through how the Rivals 150 had done their freshman season at whatever school they wound up at.  I think I looked at a few years worth of Rivals 150 guys.  As I remember it, the guys in the top 50 were typically starters or major contributors; the guys in the middle 50 were more often than not major contributors; and the guys in the third 50 (not going to say "bottom 50" because they're still among the best recruits in the country) sometimes were major contributors and sometimes didn't do much at all their freshman seasons.  

Thomas Allen is in that middle 50 group.  There's a really good probability that he comes in ready to go right away.

But, based on our needs and Nana's skillset, I have to think he's got a really good shot at contributing right away as well.

18 hours ago, royalfan said:

Lineup screams zone to me.  I think we could play a very good zone with this type of group. 

I think we could defend really well using a zone and that lineup.  My concern would be rebounding though, and I don't think going zone would help that aspect any.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I took a few minutes a couple of years ago and went through how the Rivals 150 had done their freshman season at whatever school they wound up at.  I think I looked at a few years worth of Rivals 150 guys.  As I remember it, the guys in the top 50 were typically starters or major contributors; the guys in the middle 50 were more often than not major contributors; and the guys in the third 50 (not going to say "bottom 50" because they're still among the best recruits in the country) sometimes were major contributors and sometimes didn't do much at all their freshman seasons.  

Thomas Allen is in that middle 50 group.  There's a really good probability that he comes in ready to go right away.

But, based on our needs and Nana's skillset, I have to think he's got a really good shot at contributing right away as well.

The one thing that gives me hope is that we don't need either one to replace Webster.   We have enough options to somewhat absorb the loss.   We simply need them to fill a roll.  If we can get 7-8 a game from them individually as an outside threat, they change our landscape