Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

Since there's been comparisons made to the 91 team, here is a roster matchup.

Rich King                Jordy Tshimanga

Tony Farmer            Isaac Copeland

DaPreis Owens        Ed Morrow

Bruce Chubick         Michael Jacobson

Kelly Lively               Nick Fuller

Carl Hayes                Isaiah Roby

Eric Piatkowski         Jeriah Horne

Beau Reid                 Jack McVeigh

Clifford Scales          Glynn Watson

Keith Moody             Evan Taylor

Jose Ramos             Anton Gill

Chris Cresswell        James Palmer

JF Hoffman               Nana Akenten

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I saw it, I don't think he'll pass Jacobson on that list, though. IR's got a long way to go. I think he'll get there.

Those two don't play the same position, though. Roby is more point forward, MJ power forward.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*And it is a "projection" not gospel*

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Those two don't play the same position, though. Roby is more point forward, MJ power forward.

I know it's just a projection, but in the original scenario you outlined, I think MJ makes it before Roby does as long as MJ's here. Maybe Roby knocks Copeland off, but I don't project any way that Roby tops MJ in that setting anytime soon.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

I know it's just a projection, but in the original scenario you outlined, I think MJ makes it before Roby does as long as MJ's here. Maybe Roby knocks Copeland off, but I don't project any way that Roby tops MJ in that setting anytime soon.

As I stated, though, they're not competing with each other for minutes.  Isaac & MJ would compete for time while Roby is more with Horne/Palmer/McTrey in my scenario.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

Since there's been comparisons made to the 91 team, here is a roster matchup.

Rich King                Jordy Tshimanga

Tony Farmer            Isaac Copeland

DaPreis Owens        Ed Morrow

Bruce Chubick         Michael Jacobson

Kelly Lively               Nick Fuller

Carl Hayes                Isaiah Roby

Eric Piatkowski         Jeriah Horne

Beau Reid                 Jack McVeigh

Clifford Scales          Glynn Watson

Keith Moody             Evan Taylor

Jose Ramos             Anton Gill

Chris Cresswell        James Palmer

JF Hoffman               Nana Akenten

If Anton Gill is Jose Ramos does that mean........ you're right , I won't go there.

8 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Maybe you can enjoy losing a bunch of games, but I can't. At this point we have to dream next season will be better.

Seems to be the same motto of every season that next year will be better.  I hope this time, we are finally correct.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Jordy Tshimanga is going to be our starting center next year.

Fill around him as you wish.

Glynn Watson will be the starting point.  The other three spots are up for grabs.

If Jordy continues to develop on defense the way he has so far, we won't need to double the post next year when he's in the game, which means our 3-point defense should improve.

If Jordy continues to develop on offense the way he has, he's going to force double teams and open things up for our outside shooters.

Do what you want with Ed and Michael and Isaac and Jack and Isaiah and Jeriah at the 3 or 4 spots, but Jordy is your starting 5.

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Jordy Tshimanga is going to be our starting center next year.

Glynn Watson will be the starting point.  The other three spots are up for grabs.

If Jordy continues to develop on defense the way he has so far, we won't need to double the post next year when he's in the game, which means our 3-point defense should improve.

If Jordy continues to develop on offense the way he has, he's going to force double teams and open things up for our outside shooters.

Do what you want with Ed and Michael and Isaac and Jack and Isaiah and Jeriah at the 3 or 4 spots, but Jordy is your starting 5.

I'm reeeeeeally curious to see how this all plays out next year. Personally, I think if Ed is healthy, he'll be there. I'd like to see a front court of Jordy and Ed. I think it could be pretty stout. So, personally I'd say there are 2 spots up for grabs, but I like having all those options.

Michael Jacobson does some things really well for us.  His offensive rebound putbacks have been the difference in a couple of games.  But he's not an inside post offensive threat.  He's not going to score with his back to the basket, as much as I would like to see him work on those skills.  However, he also hasn't been a facing-the-basket scoring threat.  He seems to have retired his 3-point shot of late.  He's had some limited success with mid-range jumpers because the defense has been giving it to him.  I think for him to start over Ed next year, he's going to have to do more than just get tip-ins off the offensive boards.  He's going to have to bring another tool.  Because Ed can do everything Michael can do if Michael isn't hitting his jumpers.  And Ed does those things more explosively and powerfully than Michael. 

So, in that sense, uneblinstu, I definitely agree with you.  A healthy Ed at the 4 with Jordy at the 5 seems logical, and Michael can come in and spell both of them (but not at the same time.)

Could it be ...

Glynn

________

Copeland

Ed

Jordy?

I'd take Ed over Michael at this point. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MJ make a big jump offensively next year. It's not like he's throwing darts scatter shot off the backboard. He's just a little short, usually, almost always on line. The potential is there for him to make a big jump next season. He doesn't need to be a 3 point shooter. It will be interesting to see where Copeland fits in. We don't know much about his work ethic or practice habits or any of that, but the raw material there is pretty tantalizing. And how close to 100% can Gill get? That's a pretty big wild card in there, too. We never got to see that version of AG. It's going to be a really compelling off season and lead up into next year's team.

Are we predicting the lineup for the season opener?  Conference opener?  NCAA Tournament (because, yes, we will be in it next year)?  Because I think that there's a good chance the starting five will be different at each of those points in the season.

Just predict them all and you got your bases covered. Or if you prefer, Who do you think will start our sweet 16 game?

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think Glynn is the only lock to start next year.  There will be strong competition for the other 4 spots but could see Copeland being our starting center with Ed at the 4 spot.