Handy Johnson

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

This season I believe I predicted:

G Glynn Watson

G Anton Gill

F Jack McVeigh

F Michael Jacobson

F Edward Morrow

I foolishly had Tai coming off the bench.

Next year I'm gonna guess

Watson 6'0

Palmer 6'6

Roby 6'8

Copeland 6'9

Morrow 6'7

I was also foolish.  Anton played lights out in the scrimmage the year he sat out as a transfer.  I think the knee injury slowed him significantly and he was never back to 100% before he finally wound up with the torn patella tendon thing.  Still, should not have bet against Tai.  He has worked so hard to become the best player on the team.  Hopefully, other underclassmen see how the work paid off for Tai and follow suit.

Next year, though, I don't see Roby beating out Jacobson for a spot in the starting lineup.  It's possible ... possible ... that Roby would beat out Copeland.  Much depends on Copeland's recovery from back problems.  But I see it as an either/or more between Copeland and Roby than between Copeland and Jacobson or Roby and Jacobson.

Next year, Jordy gets more minutes because of development; Morrow gets fewer in order to save his feet.  Maybe about 20 each?

I'll throw my way too early depth chart out like this:

PG: Watson/ Taylor/ Roby

SG: Palmer/ Nana/ Gill

SF: Roby/ Horne/ McVeigh

PF: Copeland/ Jacobson/ McVeigh/ Fuller

C: Morrow/ Jordy/ Jacobson

Gonna be so much depth and talent. A few of these spots could easily be flipped.

More than anything, it will be nice to see a rotation loaded with talented juniors and seniors.

Nebraska isn't a blue-blood hoops program (sorry to let you down), so we won't be getting any Josh Jacksons in the near future, so when programs like Nebraska excel, it often happens because those programs have more mature rosters. Look at Nebraska's best team in the last 30 years, the 1990-91 squad. 

Remember, the teams preceding 1990-91 went 10-18 (3-11 in the Big 8) and 17-16 (4-10 in the Big 8). The nine-man rotation that year included five seniors (King, Farmer, Scales, Reid and Moody), three juniors (Hayes, Owens and Ramos) and one redshirt freshman (Pike). 

That's about where this program will be in 2018-2019: The rotation could very well consist of six seniors (Watson, Palmer, McVeigh, Copeland, Morrow and Jacobson), three juniors (Roby, Tshimanga and Horne) and a redshirt freshman (Akenton). Think about that.

Next year's team, from a depth of experience perspective, should look more like this year's Northwestern squad. Northwestern's rotation consists of two seniors, three juniors, two sophomores (one of them a third-year player) and two freshmen. In 2017-2018, Nebraska's rotation will be taken from two seniors (Gill and Taylor — sorry, Nick F.), six juniors (Watson, Palmer, McVeigh, Copeland, Morrow and Jacobson) and three sophomores (Roby, Tshimanga and Horne).

Of course, the caveat is that college basketball isn't what it used to be, and players are freer to move around from team to team, but it's still exciting to look forward. Certainly beats looking back or debating with morons on Rivals about whether Miles should be fired.

Edited by jayschool

14 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I like what Taylor brings to the table for this team but if he's starting next year I'd be disappointed that we didn't have anyone beat him out for the spot. Until we bring in another ball handler/develop someone else on the team you really need to put him on a straight platoon with Watson. 

I don't mind at all starting a guy like Taylor. There are only so many guys who can be on the floor looking for a shot at once, and why not keep a little more scoring on the bench to sub in for our starters. 

If if he is out there with-

Watson

James/Jack/Jeriah

Copeland

Morrow

-there won't be a ton of shots to go around.

We have also seen what "glue guys" like Rivers and Benny can do to a program, and unlike those two, Evan has proven that he will score when the opportunity comes to him.

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

LK1, would it say anything about recruiting services in general if two former consensus Top 100 players would be unable to unseat an unranked kid like Evan Taylor from the starting lineup?

Only that they missed one.  ET might be the most talented flyover we've ever had here.  

I pay zero attention to football recruiting services, but basketball is generally pretty difficult to screw up.  

Lastly, I was gonna tag you, Norm.  Remember back in they day when we were begging for a Huggins KState esque long, athletic roster with "those type" of lanky, versatile bigs?  Looking at next year's roster, it appears our wish is finally coming true.  

24 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Only that they missed one.  ET might be the most talented flyover we've ever had here.  

I pay zero attention to football recruiting services, but basketball is generally pretty difficult to screw up.  

Lastly, I was gonna tag you, Norm.  Remember back in they day when we were begging for a Huggins KState esque long, athletic roster with "those type" of lanky, versatile bigs?  Looking at next year's roster, it appears our wish is finally coming true.  

I'm just happy that my personal view of ET ahead of time is coming to fruition. Especially with the depth being such in a tough spot at the moment with Gill (sudden debilitating injury) & AW-III (unforeseen loss in mid-June), it is great to have a tough stud like ET gobbling up minutes like I foresaw. I'm a wonder like that. But, seriously, ET is a stud. And he is tough. Perfect combination of traits in a Big Ten backcourt.

10 hours ago, LK1 said:

ET might be the most talented flyover we've ever had here.  

Jay-R Strowbridge and Sek Henry were both unrated coming out of high school.  And if you include a 2* in your definition of a "flyover" player, Maric was exactly that (plus we were his only offer).  Taylor is good, but Nebraska unfortunately has a longstanding tradition of recruiting "wait...who?!?" types of players. 

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'd like to know what 2020 vision you might have? ;)

I can answer that one.  After back-to-back Final Four runs, and guys leaving early to become lottery picks, our rotation will be all freshman 5* guys.  The future is bright! B)

12 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

I don't mind at all starting a guy like Taylor. There are only so many guys who can be on the floor looking for a shot at once, and why not keep a little more scoring on the bench to sub in for our starters. 

If if he is out there with-

Watson

James/Jack/Jeriah

Copeland

Morrow

-there won't be a ton of shots to go around.

We have also seen what "glue guys" like Rivers and Benny can do to a program, and unlike those two, Evan has proven that he will score when the opportunity comes to him.

Two thoughts

1) There is upside to having 5 guys on the court at the same time who are high volume scorers (I wouldn't necessarily classify Ed as this)

2) What happens when you run your only two point guards out on the floor at the same time and they get in foul trouble?

Bonus thought:

The thing about a team first glue guy is that you can play them 30 minutes when you need to but you can also play them 10 minutes when you need to.

6 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Watson

Gill

Horne

Jacobson 

Copeland

This is a fun game. Here's my tougher than nails lineup, crunch time, gotta-have-it band of brothers:

Glynn

Evan

Isaiah

Isaac

Eddie

Edited by AuroranHusker
*Some are currently in the "hopeful" category as far as tough-minded, talented, etc*

On 1/31/2017 at 10:53 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Yes.  We can.

Having said that, I'm thinking if Glynn gets a second first-half foul in a game next year, we could potentially see ...

6'8" Isaiah Roby at point

6'6" James Palmer at shooting guard

6'9" Isaac Copeland at the wing

6'9" Michael Jacobson at the PF

6'11" Jordy Tschimanga at center

In fact, I'd like to see Miles do that just because he can.

Love to see how we would look running zone out of something like this.

21 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

This is a fun game. Here's my tougher than nails lineup, crunch time, gotta-have-it band of brothers:

Glynn

Evan

Isaiah

Isaac

Eddie

Isaiah's got a bit of work to do before I'd put him in the "tougher than nails" category. Michael is in there before Isaiah. I think Jordy will be on that list sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Isaiah's got a bit of work to do before I'd put him in the "tougher than nails" category. Michael is in there before Isaiah. I think Jordy will be on that list sooner rather than later.

You must not have read the caveat on the bottom of the post in the 'edit' - yes, *hopefully* he will be by next year...