uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 21 - Purdue

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

well i'd assume they are 2018 recruits given we have no open 2017 spots at the moment.

I thought there might have been 3. Thought one might have been Ed Chang but not sure he was tall enough. Other two were tall skinny guys probably in the 6'7-6'9 range. Maybe one was a foot ball recruit, not sure sorry

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Why isn't Roby playing more? 

I kid, I kid. :D

Miles did mention Isaiah in his post game interview.  Needless to say, Isaiah is now the player on the "hot" seat whereby his practices et al will dictate playing time.  I said this in an earlier thread, I believe Isaiah has a boatload of talent and is going to be a great one.  But at this moment, his inability to play physical and his reluctance in taking his shots and the appearance of a lack of confidence all are working against him.

I know this will be an unpopular post........but I thought we got more than our fair share of calls.  I'm quick to blame the refs and hold a grudge when we get screwed (Michigan game, for example), but quickly delete from my memory when we get a little help from the zebras.  Thought that may have been the case today.

28 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Hell of a win, and a hell of an atmosphere.  To beat a pretty good team when they are shooting like that is a great win.  Now need to do it again Thursday. 

Only 15 teams have lost in the past 5 seasons that have made 14 three's on 57%+ shooting from the land of plenty. Wow. That's thousands of ballgames, and NU beat PU!!!!

35 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Cole Henry '19 and Xavier Foster '20 out of Oskaloosa, IA

That's one of the kids I saw, the kid in the red.  There was another tall guy a row or two ahead of him actoss the aisle who I figured was also a recruit on a visit.  Not sure who that guy was, but he looked like he had Copeland dimensions.

We chose to live or die by limiting Swanigan, and it worked. 5-for-15 and some of the shots he made were tough looks I thought. He found some 3-pt shooters for assists, but he also had some key turnovers. 14 and 14 is a career best day for a lot of guys, but certainly not his best day and we made sure little came easy for him.

Also, just a reminder for those who may have missed the first airing of The Journey like I did on BTN - it's coming up in a few minutes with a Webster and Watson feature part of it.

Edited by throwback

3 minutes ago, throwback said:

We chose to live or die by limiting Swanigan, and it worked. 5-for-15 and some of the shots he made were tough looks I thought. He found some 3-pt shooters for assists, but he also had some key turnovers. 14 and 14 is a career best night for a lot of guys, but certainly not his best day and we made sure nothing came easy for him.

Also, just a reminder for those who may have missed the first airing of The Journey like I did on BTN - it's coming up in a few minutes with a Webster and Watson feature part of it.

Thanks for the just-in-time heads up on The Journey. BTN's finest production, in my opinion.

Edited by AuroranHusker

13 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I know this will be an unpopular post........but I thought we got more than our fair share of calls.  I'm quick to blame the refs and hold a grudge when we get screwed (Michigan game, for example), but quickly delete from my memory when we get a little help from the zebras.  Thought that may have been the case today.

I won't go so far as to say that the calls favored us, but I do believe it was a pretty well called game.  They let the game flow, they let the game play out physically, but not brutally. 

11 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I won't go so far as to say that the calls favored us, but I do believe it was a pretty well called game.  They let the game flow, they let the game play out physically, but not brutally. 

This is how I saw it. A couple bad calls both ways but they did not dictate the game and was probably one of the better officiated games I have seen lately. That being said the no charge Horne took and Jordy's 5th foul were horrid 

20 minutes ago, throwback said:

We chose to live or die by limiting Swanigan, and it worked. 5-for-15 and some of the shots he made were tough looks I thought. He found some 3-pt shooters for assists, but he also had some key turnovers. 14 and 14 is a career best day for a lot of guys, but certainly not his best day and we made sure little came easy for him.

Thanks for the heads up, I would not have had any idea had you not said anything.

Great win.  Y'all know I'm very high on Jordy.  We are infinitely better on both ends when he gets in game flow, but what I especially loved tonight was the concerted effort to feed the post.  Jordy drew, what, 3 fouls on their star?  He's a load--raw, but great feel for the game, and a couple of dominant possessions where he really sealed well.  

Glad to see Jack playing like he's capable.  Awesome perseverance there.  This was also the best Horne has ever played defensively.  

Impressive effort and coaching tonight.  There's plenty of hope left for this season.  PLENTY.  At the very least, we can win the tournament, but I'm optimistic about the remaining schedule if we can get Ed back.  

UNL Notes

Nebraska Postgame Notes

*-Nebraska improves to 2-3 against ranked teams and has won two straight (vs. No. 16 Indiana on Dec. 28)
*-Jack McVeigh’s 21 points matched his career high (also vs. Louisiana Tech). McVeigh also tied his season high with four 3-pointers (all in the first half). He also established career bests in both free throws (seven) and free throw attempts (10).
*-It is the second time McVeigh has led NU in scoring (also vs. South Dakota)
*-Nebraska got a season-high 39 points from its bench today (previous best was 38 vs. Southern).  It marked the third time in Big Ten play that NU got at least 20 points from its bench.
*-Nebraska out-rebounded Purdue, 40-35, as the Boilermakers were sixth nationally in rebounding margin. It marked only the fourth time Purdue has been out-rebounded all season.
*-Jeriah Horne came off the bench and finished with 16 points and a season-high seven rebounds (previous high of five on two occasions, last vs. Maryland. Horne’s 16 points were his second-highest total of the season (18 vs. Southern). It marked the fourth time he has been in double figures and first since Jan. 5 vs. Iowa.
*-Purdue’s 14 3-pointers were the most by a Husker opponent this season.
*-Nebraska now 21-3 when scoring at least 80 points under Tim Miles
*-Tai Webster has been in double figures all 21 games this season and 22 straight dating back to last season. He is the only Big Ten player in double figures every contest this season. Webster also led NU in both assists (six) and rebounds (eight)
*-Jordy Tshimanga made his first start of his career today and finished with six points and three rebounds before fouling out.

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles
Opening Statement

“This is a very important day for us for a lot of reasons.  Obviously the win caps it off but our Coaches vs Cancer and Avery Strong Day, that really means something to this group.  It’s a personal connection, the way Kristin Eichorst has organized the swabs and the bone marrow registry, I know we had four matches and that could be four saved lives.  I think just all of that combined with such a thrilling game, really made it for a great day.  I just wanted to start with that.”

On Purdue’s shooting performance:
“Our goal was to have them beat us from two, and that worked out really well.  They’re an excellent shooting team on the road, they average almost 12 made threes at almost 48 percent.  Then you have to decide if you’re going to double on the bigs.  Some of it you have to decide because you have to stop them, some of it might be an opportunity if you get a chance to turn them over.  We had to kind of decide throughout the game.  Most of that was [Nebraska Assistant Coach  Kenya] Hunter with the game plan.  At the same time, I think we did a really good job doubling, and knowing when to double and when not to double according to the lineups, whether it be our lineups or theirs.”

On Michael Jacobson’s illness throughout the game:
“We put [freshman center Jordy Tshimanga] in, he got a couple fouls, and we were going to put Michael back in.  Michael was gone. ‘Where’s Michael?’ ‘He’s vomiting.’  He gets back later, gets back in, I’m ready to take Jordy out, I’m like ‘guys, get Jordy.’ ‘Michael’s vomiting.’ Then at halftime he’s laying there with Dr. Albers and the trainer, and I just went in and said, ‘Hey don’t kill yourself for a basketball game.’  He goes, ‘No, no, I’ll be ready.’  He came back out and he had some struggles but at the same time I think there were two or three plays late that he had a stop, and then he had a steal, and somebody hit him for a layup on a cut.  I don’t know who it was, but it put us up by one.”

On being a tough matchup for Purdue:
“I thought that we had a little more pace and tempo to our offense.  Sometimes we kind of get clogged up on things if a team defends us in certain ways.  I thought we did a lot of good things today.  I think really the story of that offensive game today was [sophomore forward Jack McVeigh] and and [freshman Jeriah Horne] getting 37 in ten.  None of us would have predicted it, and to get it, we needed every ounce of it.”

On the resolve of the Huskers despite losing five straight games:
“Even when [senior Tai Webster] went out, he twisted his foot/ankle, got hurt, and things had gone wrong because he was hurting and I only had one timeout left.  The next whistle was media, and you don’t want to burn your last timeout, but finally we just had to.  So now we’re down four, and it was funny in the huddle, the guys were mad.  They weren’t mad at Tai, they weren’t mad at the refs, they weren’t mad at me, they were just like, ‘How’d we get in this position?”’  When you have that kind of mentality, I think that’s what’s cool about this group.  I really was impressed with the way they handled it.”

Sophomore Forward Jack McVeigh

McVeigh on big win:

“We battled, like in other games, when you put yourself in a situation where anything is possible. I’m sure, as anyone who’s been watching the Big Ten knows that no game is a joke. Every win is a good win, and that’s been proven here in conference play. That was a big win for the morale and in terms of positioning and everything. It was good. We got the win as a team.”

McVeigh on moving on past the win:

“As the coaches say: you can’t cheat the game. That’s really important. When we go after it again we have to look at it like, ‘It was a good win but we have to move on.’ It’s the exact same thing we say when we lose close games. People say, ‘We have to move on, learn from it, and get better.’ And it’s the exact same mentality with wins. You have to kind of put them aside and be like, ‘Good job team, and now let’s get after it.”

Freshman Forward Jeriah Horne

Horne on rallying back from deficit:

“I feel like that’s been our whole season, especially in the Big Ten. Unfortunately, we’ve lost a couple ones, but tonight I feel like we just came together even more. We were able to get over the hump, and we made sure we had each other’s backs. It’s really important when we’re huddling together and talking through things, that shows a lot about our team.”

Senior Guard Tai Webster

Webster on the play of McVeigh and Horne:

“I think a lot of guys contributed tonight and it’s just huge, especially for guys like Jack and Jeriah. Obviously their minutes have not been the same lately, for them to just come in and contribute is just a true show to their character that those young guys have to just stay the course and be faced with adversity and just come through. We couldn’t have done it without those big plays by those guys tonight.”

Purdue Head Coach Matt Painter
On the eight turnovers in the second half:
“We need to do a better job. Obviously trying to get the ball inside and you just need to make a good decision. When you make good decisions and make simple plays... Obviously we shot the ball well on threes, 14-of-24 from three is very impressive so I thought that we had a good balance, we just had to take care of the basketball and get it to where we needed to get it on half court on the interior. Just move the basketball, we were getting pretty good looks but you know when you have those empty possessions and you turn it over, you can’t get a rebound on a turnover. So you have to be able to give yourself a chance and give yourself a chance to rebound. We just had too many turnovers in the second half.”

On the first half allowing 7-11 three pointers:
“I thought #10 Jack McVeighs' were breakdowns. He is known as a shooter. He is a guy we are not leaving, I thought those were breakdowns. #00 Tai Webster made a couple tough ones. I think he was 2 for 2 at half, I thought he made a couple tough ones. He’s a 33-percent shooter, he’s hit or miss, you got to make him hit tough ones. And the main thing you want to do with him is keep him out of the paint. Keep him off the three-point line, not letting him get that rhythm. I thought we did that also. Like I said earlier, you can dissect it many different ways, but their ability to get offensive rebounds and those two guys off the bench were the difference in this game.”

On today's game:
“As you saw, we didn’t play Isaac as much tonight, he was hurt and had a tough time getting going and a tough time playing through contact. But we were trying to match-up to the best of our ability but also times that people are going to have to match-up to us too. It kind of works both ways to where we got the ball where we wanted at the end of the game and we are going to keep going back to it. In those situations, we have to keep making people have to match-up to us and we were one foul away from fouling both centers. We really put them in a bad bind. We have to be better than we were tonight, just making plays. We need to get stops defensively. We had too many breakdowns and let some guys get away from us. We’ll go back and watch film, maybe we overdid it with those two guys and that loosened some things up for those other guys. We definitely have to get consistent in our defensive schemes.

8 minutes ago, throwback said:

Geez, just looked at the box score. Didn't realize Haas played just 13 minutes. 11 points and 5 boards in that short amount of time. We may have caught a break that he didn't play more.

This was one of the "issues" I had when he played though...the dude camps in the lane.  He literally pushed his way to the rim and was simply a statue in there.  I believe he was called for 3 seconds once, maybe twice.  But he could have been called every single time.  Just saying...