Signs the stars are aligning

Norm Peterson

How will we know when the stars are aligning for this program and our fortunes are a'changin'?

How will we know when the worm starts to turn? 

Over the years, we've had a lot of just plain old bad luck.  Unhappy bounces, untimely injuries, and some just plain stupid stuff that leaves you scratching your head.  Roburt Sallie, for example.  If the NCAA hadn't decided to apply extra scrutiny to his academic record, he'd have played at Nebraska for 4 years and probably been a great star for us.  If the NCAA had just made the call, y'know, a month earlier and said "he's not going to qualify" and we therefore don't enroll him, then he finishes juco and comes to Nebraska a year later and we get him for 3 years.  And he'd probably been a great star for us.

But a couple of crazy stupid things out of anyone's real control converge to prevent Sallie from ever playing for Nebraska.

We've always talked about how we need that one guy.  All it takes is that one guy.  And if you don't get a super high profile recruit, then maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and find the kid who flew under the radar and turns out to be a lot better than anyone projected he'd be when he was in high school.

Doug McDermott at Creighton is that kind of kid.  No one -- and I mean NO ONE -- projected him as a future All-American when he was playing next to Harrison Barnes at Ames High.  Nobody.  But there he is.  And Creighton is ranked because of the kind of player Doug McDermott is.

We're long overdue for some lucky bounces.  The law of averages says something is going to come along eventually and balance those unlucky bounces out.  I realize a lot of times you make your own breaks.  That luck is where preparation meets opportunity.  Or something like that.  But there's also dumb luck and we've had plenty of bad dumb luck to last us a generation or more.

So, is Shavon Shields a sign of the Apocalypse?  Are the stars beginning to align?  I would say that if we manage to land Atewe AND have a quality senior transfer land in our laps for next year, I'd have to start thinking maybe our fortunes are changing.

I'm not a supersticious guy.  I probably even spelled supersticious wrong, that's how not supersticious I am.  But you don't have to believe in hocus pocus to believe in the law of averages.  That's just plain old math.  And plain old math suggests to me that we're due.  We're the .300 hitter on an 8-game hitless streak.  We're due.  We're just plain due.

And seeing the name of a Husker player as B1G rookie of the week makes me wonder if that ol' worm isn't starting to turn.

I don't have facts, I just feel it in my gut. Times are chaning in our favor. TM has all the peices in place, he just needs one more big man who can rebound and play D. He will then have everything necessary to make the big dance and win a game. Next year he will have at least 5 legitimate scorers on the team, among the group of Gallegos, Shields, Petteway, Biggs, Pitchford, Webster and Fuller. He should have strong rebounding with Shields, Pitchford and Fuller. But he needs one more big for defense in the middle. Is that Atewe, Thomas or the development of the Serbian Cigar?  Who knows but I know TM will get it done....I just feel it.

Norm said, "And seeing the name of a Husker player as B1G rookie of the week makes me wonder if that ol' worm isn't starting to turn."

Another positive sign is the performance of Colorado St. this year with players signed by Tim Miles. Colorado St. Is 15-3 so far, with wins over Washington (73-55), Virginia Tech (88-52), and UNLV (66-61); and losses to Colorado (70-61) and #16 San Diego St. (79-72 OT). In their latest game (UNLV), for example, all of the 7 Rams who played were signed by Tim Miles, except for one who had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Norm, I was thinking about this the other day.  Is it finally going to get rolling for us or is Nebraska Basketball going to be like some of the football jobs that are impossible and destined to always be losers.

I decided the differences were facilities investment and the fact that when we start winning the fans will fill the place.  The only was to really flip things around is a massive focus on it and an investment.  We got it.

How will we know when the stars are aligning for this program and our fortunes are a'changin'?

How will we know when the worm starts to turn?

Over the years, we've had a lot of just plain old bad luck. Unhappy bounces, untimely injuries, and some just plain stupid stuff that leaves you scratching your head. Roburt Sallie, for example. If the NCAA hadn't decided to apply extra scrutiny to his academic record, he'd have played at Nebraska for 4 years and probably been a great star for us. If the NCAA had just made the call, y'know, a month earlier and said "he's not going to qualify" and we therefore don't enroll him, then he finishes juco and comes to Nebraska a year later and we get him for 3 years. And he'd probably been a great star for us.

But a couple of crazy stupid things out of anyone's real control converge to prevent Sallie from ever playing for Nebraska.

We've always talked about how we need that one guy. All it takes is that one guy. And if you don't get a super high profile recruit, then maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and find the kid who flew under the radar and turns out to be a lot better than anyone projected he'd be when he was in high school.

Doug McDermott at Creighton is that kind of kid. No one -- and I mean NO ONE -- projected him as a future All-American when he was playing next to Harrison Barnes at Ames High. Nobody. But there he is. And Creighton is ranked because of the kind of player Doug McDermott is.

We're long overdue for some lucky bounces. The law of averages says something is going to come along eventually and balance those unlucky bounces out. I realize a lot of times you make your own breaks. That luck is where preparation meets opportunity. Or something like that. But there's also dumb luck and we've had plenty of bad dumb luck to last us a generation or more.

So, is Shavon Shields a sign of the Apocalypse? Are the stars beginning to align? I would say that if we manage to land Atewe AND have a quality senior transfer land in our laps for next year, I'd have to start thinking maybe our fortunes are changing.

I'm not a supersticious guy. I probably even spelled supersticious wrong, that's how not supersticious I am. But you don't have to believe in hocus pocus to believe in the law of averages. That's just plain old math. And plain old math suggests to me that we're due. We're the .300 hitter on an 8-game hitless streak. We're due. We're just plain due.

And seeing the name of a Husker player as B1G rookie of the week makes me wonder if that ol' worm isn't starting to turn.

That's very true Norm. My wife's aunt and uncle live in Ames and used to tell us about going and watching Harrison Barnes play. I can't remeber them even mentioning Doug M.by name other than saying, "there's another kid on the team that's not to bad!"

Before we put a Lantz through that tournament win bubble, we have to get Baack to defending the Fort. If we can Chalk up automatic W's in the new arena, no matter the opposition, the fans will be Hoppen on the Miles bandwagon for Moore. In Lue of doing Saturday chores, Husker fans will turn Cloudy days into basketball days. This year's recruiting class could be a program-Turner, though it's probably a Hare too early to say that a victory is just down the Pike.

Still, I get a Chubick just thinking about it.

Before we put a Lantz through that tournament win bubble, we have to get Baack to defending the Fort. If we can Chalk up automatic W's in the new arena, no matter the opposition, the fans will be Hoppen on the Miles bandwagon for Moore. In Lue of doing Saturday chores, Husker fans will turn Cloudy days into basketball days. This year's recruiting class could be a program-Turner, though it's probably a Hare too early to say that a victory is just down the Pike.

if there were a prize for this game, you just won it.

I love it!!!

Can you guys come up with some Moe? Iba done my job.

Can you guys come up with some Moe? Iba done my job.

I'd say the Jura is still out on this recruiting class.  Let's see who the final signees are before we take it to the Banks.

If we can manage to ascend to the heights of the B1G and become King of the hill, our fans will stop being so Moody, and instead get in their Carr to come see the 'Skers play.  This, in turn, will make the NU athletic department Rich (as you would expect the King to be) beyond their wildest dreams!

You know, if only the Huskers could hold Cerv from here on out at home, Downing everyone who came into the BDSC, I'll bet every Farmer living West of Lincoln would take their Glock and go Fox hunting. 

However, with today's cost of ammo, they'll want to shop around for a Bargen price on bullets.

Bravo. Reaching back for Bob Cerv. Definitely not a Bush-league reference.

You know, if only the Huskers could hold Cerv from here on out at home, Downing everyone who came into the BDSC, I'll bet every Farmer living West of Lincoln would take their Glock and go Fox hunting. 

However, with today's cost of ammo, they'll want to shop around for a Bargen price on bullets.

Well, those little critters don't have Shields, so if the Huskers Bargen for ammo, they're likely to wind up bagging a few Peltz.