uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 20 - @ Northwestern

uneblinstu

Some notes from the game

*-Tai Webster finished with 23 points – his ninth 20-point effort of the season. He has been in double figures in 21 straight games dating back to last season.

*-Jordy Tshimanga matched his Big Ten high with seven points and four rebounds 
*-Jack McVeigh matched his career high with seven rebounds (also vs. Sacramento State)

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

What's really scary is this isn't even supposed to be the year Northwestern was going to be good and make the tournament.  Next year was.

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
NO NAME POS HT WT CLASS HOMETOWN
32 Nathan Taphorn F 6-7 215 SR Pekin, IL
34 Sanjay Lumpkin G 6-6 220 SR Wayzata, MN
20 Scottie Lindsey G 6-5 210 JR Hillside, IL
30 Bryant McIntosh G 6-3 185 JR Greensburg, IN
44 Gavin Skelly F 6-8 220 JR Westlake, OH
4 Vic Law F 6-7 205 SO South Holland, IL
5 Dererk Pardon C 6-8 235 SO Cleveland, OH
10 Charlie Hall F 6-5 210 SO Los Angeles, CA
23 Jordan Ash G 6-3 190 SO Bolingbrook, IL
35 Aaron Falzon F 6-8 215 SO Newton, MA
12 Isiah Brown G 6-2 175 FR Seattle, WA
14 Rapolas Ivanauskas F 6-9 210 FR Barrington, IL
21 Tino Malnati G 6-3 175 FR Northfield, IL
25 Barret Benson C 6-10 240 FR Willowbrook, IL

All I can say is I hope coach K retires soon so we can get Collins out of Evanston ASAP...

NW roster consist of four Rivals Top 150 players.  Only two played against us last night and one of them received just three minutes.  I'm not sure how much more talented they are than us but the flow of their offense and fundamentals on defense is pretty impressive.  We really have not had an answer for what Collins has thrown at us the past couple years. 

11 minutes ago, 49r said:

What's really scary is this isn't even supposed to be the year Northwestern was going to be good and make the tournament.  Next year was.

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
NO NAME POS HT WT CLASS HOMETOWN
32 Nathan Taphorn F 6-7 215 SR Pekin, IL
34 Sanjay Lumpkin G 6-6 220 SR Wayzata, MN
20 Scottie Lindsey G 6-5 210 JR Hillside, IL
30 Bryant McIntosh G 6-3 185 JR Greensburg, IN
44 Gavin Skelly F 6-8 220 JR Westlake, OH
4 Vic Law F 6-7 205 SO South Holland, IL
5 Dererk Pardon C 6-8 235 SO Cleveland, OH
10 Charlie Hall F 6-5 210 SO Los Angeles, CA
23 Jordan Ash G 6-3 190 SO Bolingbrook, IL
35 Aaron Falzon F 6-8 215 SO Newton, MA
12 Isiah Brown G 6-2 175 FR Seattle, WA
14 Rapolas Ivanauskas F 6-9 210 FR Barrington, IL
21 Tino Malnati G 6-3 175 FR Northfield, IL
25 Barret Benson C 6-10 240 FR Willowbrook, IL

All I can say is I hope coach K retires soon so we can get Collins out of Evanston ASAP...

Wait a second, how are they suppose to be good next year?  Their freshmen are terrible and no one improves.

Benson is avg. 1.9 PPG and 1.8 RPG

Brown is avg. 7.1 PPG and has 30 ast. and 27 TO's.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I would transfer if I was Horne

Ever consider that is why he isn't playing?  Is it possible he couldn't take criticism from the coaches and he told them he's out at the end of the year and Miles told him to enjoy the bench?

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

Wait a second, how are they suppose to be good next year?  Their freshmen are terrible and no one improves.

Benson is avg. 1.9 PPG and 1.8 RPG

Brown is avg. 7.1 PPG and has 30 ast. and 27 TO's.

You make a good point, I mean, how are they possibly going to be able to replace Taphorn and Lumpkin's production???  The two combine for almost 10ppg.  That 10 points is the difference between 6-2 and 2-6 for them!  Hooray!  Northwestern is going to be bad again next year!

2 minutes ago, Marv said:

Ever consider that is why he isn't playing?  Is it possible he couldn't take criticism from the coaches and he told them he's out at the end of the year and Miles told him to enjoy the bench?

I very much doubt that.  I think Big 10 basketball is more complicated than he imagined.  I was unable to play basketball beyond my freshmen year in high school, so I can't imagine how much stuff would go into playing in college.  I would imagine, you have to know where to be at all times.  You have to know where to be if something happens.  You have to know where to be if something else happens.  You have to know where to position yourself, when a shot goes up.  I think he is swimming in all this, and it probably shows in practice.  I think if he sticks around, he will start to figure things out, whereas it becomes second nature for him to be where he is suppose to be.

6 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I very much doubt that.  I think Big 10 basketball is more complicated than he imagined.  I was unable to play basketball beyond my freshmen year in high school, so I can't imagine how much stuff would go into playing in college.  I would imagine, you have to know where to be at all times.  You have to know where to be if something happens.  You have to know where to be if something else happens.  You have to know where to position yourself, when a shot goes up.  I think he is swimming in all this, and it probably shows in practice.  I think if he sticks around, he will start to figure things out, whereas it becomes second nature for him to be where he is suppose to be.

I think you are focusing too much on the my example of him not being able to take criticism.  My point was that (possibly in frustration) he could have told Miles he's out at the end of the year, which would result in Miles benching him.  

2 minutes ago, Marv said:

I think you are focusing too much on the my example of him not being able to take criticism.  My point was that (possibly in frustration) he could have told Miles he's out at the end of the year, which would result in Miles benching him.  

That would be the dumbest thing ever.  If he did, Miles would tell him to just leave now.  Why wait until the end of the year to leave?

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i just know jeriah can shoot and we have no shooters.

he was also a big part of our 4 game win streak.

unless he's flat out doing nothing at practice, i'm not sure how you can bench him for a whole game.

Is it simply that Jack McTrey hit those 4 triples at Rutgers?  The 'hot hand' syndrome....

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

they could both be playing. horne played alright against rutgers as well. 5 pts 3 rebounds in 12 min.

Sure, it is a theory that Miles has espoused in the past, that is, going with the 'hot hand.' Kind of why some guys seemingly 'fall out of favor' at times.

I'd imagine that minutes are scarce and the coach picks who he will ride with.

Edited by AuroranHusker
*For clarity*

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

with as bad as our record is, we should be playing all our young guys more and trying to get ready for the next 2 years.

Sure, in theory. I want Horne on the court too, but that doesn't mean he has always deserved the minutes. The minutes are earned, and I believe Roby, for instance, will be much better because of the extended minutes, learning the tricks of the trade so to speak.

Let's say Horne buckles down on assignments and making sure he follows the methods given by the staff, well, then I believe Jeriah will be on the court more. Now, this is all in theory, because obviously I'm not in the room when the team is practicing & watching film. It's a theory that this is why Roby has had minutes as a FROSH and Horne's have been more sparse. I think Jack has taken back the minutes that Jeriah had earlier. And, of course, if Eddie is back in action, then probably 2 of those guys will see a sharp decline, particularly at crunch time.

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

On nights when the starters are struggling, see last night, to put the little round ball into the basket, maybe it would have been worth trying someone who has done so before.  Would he have last night?  I guess we'll never know.

The rollercoaster ride of a FROSH is never easy to understand. We're not at practice or team meetings to 'know' what's what.

I want Horne to take some threes but if I'm the coach (yes, I know it's a stretch) - I would need him to know the rest of the details are very, very important as well. In theory of course...