Why announce top 16 teams in February?

jimmykc

I don't really see any reason to announce the top 16 seeds in the NCAA tourney so early. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I can't see how this adds anything to the interest on selection Sunday and the committee will have egg on their faces if one of the teams has a player injured and loses the remainder of their regular schedule and goes out early in their league tourney. Feel free to move this to the college hoops section if more appropriate since I don't think it will apply to the Huskers this year, but I did want to see if anyone is in favor of this since it seems so lame to me.

Edited by jimmykc

A closer reading of the LJS story seems to indicate that the teams will be updated weekly. I still think it is lame though since there are any number of bracketologists who do the same thing. If they are going to do this, might as well let Teddy Owens' son with the middle name "Bracket" publish his choices.

9 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Everyone already kind of knows the top 16

Which is why this is kind of harmless.  The only people who really care about whether a team is a #3 or #4 seed in whatever region are nerds who are fans of those teams anyway.  For the rest it's maybe just a way to manufacture interest and debate on sports talk radio.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

A closer reading of the LJS story seems to indicate that the teams will be updated weekly. I still think it is lame though since there are any number of bracketologists who do the same thing. If they are going to do this, might as well let Teddy Owens' son with the middle name "Bracket" publish his choices.

I think this i why they are doing it, they want to be part of the I know everything so you need to follow (BUY) my web page guys that have popped up over the last what 15 years?

Honestly, I think bracketologists are dumb as well.

They don't know what is going to happen; they're just guessing. Why are they projecting who is going to make the tournament when there are still two months of the season left to go?  Lunardi had us in his first four out, right?  What kind of idiot was he?  We're not a good team.

All these guys do is tell us, in their own specific way, which teams are playing well at a specific time.  That's something we can see with our own eyes looking at box scores.

We bitch about weathermen making predictions about something that actually matters, but we eat it up when these guys make predictions that don't mean anything.

Sports fans aren't terribly bright sometimes.

Lunardi is a weatherman with no science to back up his predictions.  He and others like him are selling something no one needs.

Yeah it doesn;t do any good at all unless a complete ranking, other than possibly force the members to be more dialed in earlier in the season, to not look like idiots.  The more familiarity they have, the better job I would expect them to do in seeding these teams.  Pretty useless in the grand scheme of things.