WBB: Game #21 @ Purdue

Row6Seat10

19 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

meh.............(just sayin') i am not gonna criticize allie for that. lots of frustration built up over a period.

This time Allie was right...she got hammered by the Purdue player, and the ref watched it and did nothing. ..So she told the ref.  .....frustration..yes

The Purdue player was laughing going down the court.

Edited by redsteve

6 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

meh.............(just sayin') i am not gonna criticize allie for that. lotsa frustration built up over a period.

I'm not either just saying who got the T, She said something right after she got knocked down and must have carried it down the floor.

7 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Coach said in her post game that they made lazy passes.

Seemed like it was worse tonight ...who knows why ? Cross court passes that wouldn't have been good in a million years. It's the same couple of players that still do it.  But why do they still do it now....it's like some hadn't played a game all year.  Talk about not learning from your mistakes. Not good BBall IQ

Frustration....big time

Edited by redsteve

Shepard had 8 turnovers last night, that's not good. That alone accounted for a third of the Huskers turnovers against Purdue. She lost control of the ball or had a bad pass 5 times bringing the ball up the court. She leads the team in turnovers and most of those turnovers occur when she tries going coast to coast bringing the ball up the court. 

In my opinion she needs to give the ball up once she gets a rebound to one of the guards instead of putting the ball on the floor and thinking she can beat the defense down the court. She doesn't have the speed necessary to beat the defense up the court especially in the Big Ten.

She got away with that last year because she had a guard in Romeo who would beat the defense down the court and defenses would have to adjust for that, opening up the middle a little bit. She doesn't have that this year because our guards go down the court and usually wind up slowing down at the free throw line extended and not running hard all the way through the bucket, usually leaving two or three defenders meeting her at the top of the key ready stop her penetration.

38 minutes ago, Row6Seat10 said:

in my opinion she needs to give the ball up once she gets a rebound to one of the guards instead of putting the ball on the floor and thinking she can beat the defense down the court. She doesn't have the speed necessary to beat the defense up the court especially in the Big Ten.

That has been my thought for most of this season.  One of the most frustrating things and totally unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Shepard had 8 turnovers last night, that's not good. That alone accounted for a third of the Huskers turnovers against Purdue. She lost control of the ball or had a bad pass 5 times bringing the ball up the court. She leads the team in turnovers and most of those turnovers occur when she tries going coast to coast bringing the ball up the court. 

In my opinion she needs to give the ball up once she gets a rebound to one of the guards instead of putting the ball on the floor and thinking she can beat the defense down the court. She doesn't have the speed necessary to beat the defense up the court especially in the Big Ten.

She got away with that last year because she had a guard in Romeo who would beat the defense down the court and defenses would have to adjust for that, opening up the middle a little bit. She doesn't have that this year because our guards go down the court and usually wind up slowing down at the free throw line extended and not running hard all the way through the bucket, usually leaving two or three defenders meeting her at the top of the key ready stop her penetration.

Talked about this some before...the mix of players this year just don't compliment each other so much, for various reasons.

We lost so much experience from last year....it's kind of been crippling.

Last year, for what ever it matters, we had not only Romeo, but Kyndal Clark too. She got "poo pooed" here some, but Yori played her a lot, not because she was a scorer, but her experience really helped the transition game...defensively and offensively. Plus she was very safe with and protected the ball....very few turnovers. Not positive, but she was close to,leading the team in steals...I think.

There were fewer fast breaks against us last year...it wasn't accidental. (and we had more fast breaks too)

They both, and Rachel T had the know how to do so much more than just shoot. It's the BBall IQ I keep referencing. 

The things they did opened up the inside game....the other team had to "account" for all three....we just don't have that now.  Next year all our guards will be more experienced overall...hope it pays off.

And we miss Anya too..she was a good rebounder and scorer coming off the bench...we miss that too.  Last years team just was considerably different....and next years team will be different too.....so we'll tough out this year...and hope to build toward a better next year.

Shepard...?  ...she got almost half the teams points at Purdue.  Think about that one. Our guards were absent from the score board for the most part. But Rylie had maybe her most consistent game.

Edited by redsteve

On 1/27/2017 at 1:11 PM, redsteve said:

Talked about this some before...the mix of players this year just don't compliment each other so much, for various reasons.

We lost so much experience from last year....it's kind of been crippling.

Last year, for what ever it matters, we had not only Romeo, but Kyndal Clark too. She got "poo pooed" here some, but Yori played her a lot, not because she was a scorer, but her experience really helped the transition game...defensively and offensively. Plus she was very safe with and protected the ball....very few turnovers. Not positive, but she was close to,leading the team in steals...I think.

There were fewer fast breaks against us last year...it wasn't accidental. (and we had more fast breaks too)

They both, and Rachel T had the know how to do so much more than just shoot. It's the BBall IQ I keep referencing. 

The things they did opened up the inside game....the other team had to "account" for all three....we just don't have that now.  Next year all our guards will be more experienced overall...hope it pays off.

And we miss Anya too..she was a good rebounder and scorer coming off the bench...we miss that too.  Last years team just was considerably different....and next years team will be different too.....so we'll tough out this year...and hope to build toward a better next year.

Shepard...?  ...she got almost half the teams points at Purdue.  Think about that one. Our guards were absent from the score board for the most part. But Rylie had maybe her most consistent game.

I agree that our guards need to shoot more.  Rylie, Hanna, & Nicea are a plus for this team...Grace doesn't play much and is not playing her position, she needs a little more work on her defense. We are missing the players we lost and Rach B who is out this year. And of course Shepard is going to be having most of the points especially when she shoots more then half the team total. Shepard is NOT a guard and should not try to take the ball coast to coast...there have been open guards pass it. Just like beating the press....passes beat the press!