2017 Nebraska Baseball

AuroranHusker

Just now, hskr4life said:

We're on the bubble more than some think I think.  Lot of bid stealers 

Good news - last year selection of Minnesota as a 2 seed with a not great RPI and 0-2 in the conf tournament show the committee holds a regular season title in high regard. And we were not listed as last 3 in on D1 baseball, who has the best pulse on what the bracket will look like tomorrow. Going to be very interesting tomorrow to see how this thing shakes out.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

I was being serious btw...

Well, I can't tell you all of the injuries. However, the 3 I recall are:

1) Ethan Frazier, who'd had a 1.72 ERA in 15 2/3 innings. He left needing surgery to reattach a torn muscle to the bone.

2) Connor Curry, a freshman left-hander that was injured and out early in the year.

3) Reece Eddins was out from the end of March with an arm injury. He got Tommy John's surgery. In 2016, Eddins pitched about 40 innings from the bullpen with a 1.85 ERA.

I think there is at least 1 or 2 more that I can't recall this late at night. While I am sure we all hope that Meyer's injury is no more than a distant memory.

Right after I posted above I found this 5/4/17 column from the OWH.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/baseball/husker-bullpen-thriving-despite-being-hit-hard-with-injuries/article_a49e6fa4-cabf-5d02-9301-342bbacb9985.html

The heart of the remainder of what you are looking for is contained below:

"The unit of stoppers is different from what anyone expected in February. Freshman lefty Connor Curry (broken toe after he dropped a weight on his foot), freshman righty Paul Tillotson (shoulder surgery) and junior right-handers Reece Eddins (arm) and Zack Engelken (shoulder) have all been shut down with injuries. Eddins, who made 26 appearances last season with a 1.85 ERA in 48 2⁄3 innings, and the highly touted Tillotson were likely to have especially prominent jobs.

All four continue to rehab and practice with the team, though they don’t travel for road games."

19 hours ago, trickey said:

Right after I posted above I found this 5/4/17 column from the OWH.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/baseball/husker-bullpen-thriving-despite-being-hit-hard-with-injuries/article_a49e6fa4-cabf-5d02-9301-342bbacb9985.html

The heart of the remainder of what you are looking for is contained below:

"The unit of stoppers is different from what anyone expected in February. Freshman lefty Connor Curry (broken toe after he dropped a weight on his foot), freshman righty Paul Tillotson (shoulder surgery) and junior right-handers Reece Eddins (arm) and Zack Engelken (shoulder) have all been shut down with injuries. Eddins, who made 26 appearances last season with a 1.85 ERA in 48 2⁄3 innings, and the highly touted Tillotson were likely to have especially prominent jobs.

All four continue to rehab and practice with the team, though they don’t travel for road games."

Thanks for sharing, trickey.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Lost Swanda but no other Husker players/recruits were drafted in the first ten rounds.  Alvarado and Schreiber will have a tough decision to make. 

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Meyers and Alverado both in the 13th. Schrieber way down in the 26th.

Will be interesting how this shakes out. Obviously a lot of room for all three to move up next season.

6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

OWH baseball beat writer weighs in.

Really, it may just come down to what the team offers them in terms on $$$.  They can come back next year and improve their draft stock but it won't mean much because they lose all leverage.  It definitely helps us that they did not end up in the first 10 rounds.   

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

turns out i'm an idiot who can't post twitter thingies so i'll just say it, Sip thinks between Jake and Louis, the best we can hope for is got get one back. 

Fixed it for you.

On twitter, click on the amount of time since post and it will take you to a single page tweet. Copy and paste the url.

Edited by trickey

I have not heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Louis left. It would be blow but I think its one the team is better suiting in taking than if Meyers left. He's kind of the heart of the team. But I mean if they all want to come back I'm ok with that too.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Today's OWH article on Rob Childress made me want to puke.  AD Byrne chose Anderson over Childress because of his longevity at Nebraska?  Sigh, what could have been. 

Okay, I was just gonna come on here and discuss this article. I was 12 when this went down, while I remember the team and players vividly - the coaching change I don't recall. So we replace DVH with Anderson in summer of '02  and AD Byrne leaves for TAMU in winter of '02. Chlidress is hired by Bryne in summer of '05. Is it some off the wall conspiracy theory that Byrne thought Childress was the better coach and wanted him available down the road?

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

Okay, I was just gonna come on here and discuss this article. I was 12 when this went down, while I remember the team and players vividly - the coaching change I don't recall. So we replace DVH with Anderson in summer of '02  and AD Byrne leaves for TAMU in winter of '02. Chlidress is hired by Bryne in summer of '05. Is it some off the wall conspiracy theory that Byrne thought Childress was the better coach and wanted him available down the road?

Probably.  However I'm sure many Husker fans did not like the way it worked out on both ends!!  That can be a tough call for an AD.  Do I go with longevity and loyalty to the program or go with the coach who I believe is probably better and could bring about more long term success?  That being said, I wouldn't put much past Byrne in that regard.

Edited by mwm89

On 6/19/2017 at 7:01 PM, mwm89 said:

Probably.  However I'm sure many Husker fans did not like the way it worked out on both ends!!  That can be a tough call for an AD.  Do I go with longevity and loyalty to the program or go with the coach who I believe is probably better and could bring about more long term success?  That being said, I wouldn't put much past Byrne in that regard.

I can't shake the feeling that we're gonna watch Coach Bolt taking teams to the regional and beyond in the near future, and we will be kicking ourselves once again.

3 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I can't shake the feeling that we're gonna watch Coach Bolt taking teams to the regional and beyond in the near future, and we will be kicking ourselves once again.

Wouldn't surprise me.  As I recall, though, both wanted to go back home to Texas so it probably wouldn't have worked in our favor anyway.