2017 Nebraska Baseball

AuroranHusker

1 minute ago, Bugeaters1 said:

He's not the closer people, Alvarado is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the situation.  I could very possibly see them using Alvarado as the closer.  It is a weird reason for this.  They don't want to lose his bat by bringing him in the 7th or 8th inning, and then bringing Luensmann in for the 9th.  You would need to replace him with someone in left field.  If you put him back in left field, you lose the replacement.   If you want to keep the replacement, then you lose Alvarado's bat.

I think Luensmann should be the closer, but he should only be used for one inning, and in some circumstances two innings.  I think using him multiple innings is ineffective because you only get him for one shot on the weekend.  Luckily, our bullpen is pretty deep with pitchers who can close games. 

13 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Iowa (14-9) with 4 games against NAIA teams on the schedule, played 0 top 25 teams, schedule has included Alabama State (x2), Moorehead State, Bucknell, Lehigh (x2), Villanova and Purdue (x3) and still have a RPI 40 spots higher than us. File that under things that piss me off every year. 

The NAIA games don't count towards their record so really...they are 12-9.  With that said, their RPI number and SOS really boils down to just one series....the series vs USF.  USF is 23-3 and that record does wonders for Iowa's RPI.  Throw in...some of the teams we have played that are a normally strong program are having a down year (Western Carolina/Charleston.) 

Why use him if you don't have to?   Fischer pitched pretty well in the 8th and you have a 4 run lead.  If you don't use him, and Fischer gets through the 9th, you can have Luensmann and Alvarado available for the final 2 games of the series. 

Sorry, I didn't see they left Fischer in the game.

Edited by brfrad