2017 Nebraska Baseball

AuroranHusker

6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

He must of missed his spot by a wide margin. This field is 340 to the corners, 380 to the alleys and 420 to center....so that ball had to of been pissed on.

They should come play in Hastings at Duncan field it is 370 to left 367 to right 408 to center and 395 in the power alleys

9 minutes ago, HB said:

Hung on to win the nightcap.  Needed that one.  Interesting to see Childs play so well.  Hope Mojo keeps it up , but freshmen do this a lot until they get scouted.   Let's finish this 3-1.  Suspect we'll see Alvarodo's pitching debut today.  

Today's game was cancelled. 1 game tomorrow. Wonder if they'll go Meyers or Johnny Wholestaff tomorrow. Tomorrow needs to be a win because I believe the next 7 are against 2016 NCAA tournament teams.

13 minutes ago, royalfan said:

If memory serves from playing there about 25 years ago, it seemed there were light towers in the playing field in center?  That still the case, or I am dreaming that altogether?

No, you are not dreaming; The city did a remodle and put the lights outside of the wall. To me Duncan lost all of it glamor when they move the lights. This is what you remember.

duncanoutfield.jpg

Hastings_-_RF_V2T.jpg

Edited by Bugeaters1

4 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Weren't the walls even futher back like 30 some years ago?

Also I heard that Yogi was the only high school kid to hit one out to center at the American Legion World Series back in the 30' or 40's.

But that might have just been an urban legend.:D

The walls have never moved, they have made some adjustment to home plate though. I'll have to look into whether Yogi has hit one out, I have a friend who did research on all of the home runs hit at Duncan.

42 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Rained out again today. Only getting 2 in this weekend hurts, would have liked to see Meyers, Alvarado and Ben get work on the mound before seeing the likes of Oregon State or Utah. 

Wow, that really sucks.  Could hurt us later.  Would have really sucked to travel to Arizona for the series, see only two games and miss the glorious weather here in Nebraska.  

Rotation this weekend:

Thursday, 2 p.m.: Waldron (0-1), 0.00 vs. Oregon State: TBA

Friday, 6 p.m.: Burkamper (0-0), 0.00 vs. Utah: Rose (0-0), 9.00 ERA

Saturday, 5 p.m.: Meyers (0-0), 0.00 vs. Oregon State: TBA

Sunday, 2 p.m.: Hohensee (0-0). 0.00 vs. Utah: Lapiana (1-0), 1.80 ERA

Three pitchers getting their 1st starts of the year, hopefully they can all get into the grove quickly.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:18 PM, HB said:

Wow, that really sucks.  Could hurt us later.  Would have really sucked to travel to Arizona for the series, see only two games and miss the glorious weather here in Nebraska.  

Yeah, what do I do but leave the country to avoid the last 2 weeks of February then it turns into April in Nebraska!?!?

12 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

With the upcoming schedule it looks like it may be another slow start to the season. 

1-3 this weekend looks likely, see a split with Utah, and Oregon St giving us the brooms. We're gonna get 3 complete teams in Frisco as well. We went 1-3 last year against CofC and Western Carolina. Cal Poly was 32-25 last year and picked 4th in a loaded Big West. 

Non-Con will do us no favors. 

31 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

1-3 this weekend looks likely, see a split with Utah, and Oregon St giving us the brooms. We're gonna get 3 complete teams in Frisco as well. We went 1-3 last year against CofC and Western Carolina. Cal Poly was 32-25 last year and picked 4th in a loaded Big West. 

Non-Con will do us no favors. 

The good news is Charleston and WC are at home and teams traveling from the coast usually don't fair well in Lincoln mid-march.  We will always have to be aggressive in scheduling during the non-con as it gives us a fighting chance to host in the postseason.  But, that really has never been a reality under Erstad thus far. 

14 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The good news is Charleston and WC are at home and teams traveling from the coast usually don't fair well in Lincoln mid-march.  We will always have to be aggressive in scheduling during the non-con as it gives us a fighting chance to host in the postseason.  But, that really has never been a reality under Erstad thus far. 

Think its NCAA or bust for Erstad this year? - I know this board hates coaching change speculation, but this isn't like basketball. Facilities, history, fan support, we should be the big dog of the big 10 year in and year out.