Next Eleven

HuskerFever

Gotta find a way to go .500 or better. It'll be tough but as long as Miles can keep the team engaged I believe it's possible. The biggest issue I see, not counting Morrow, is that the two least winnable games are the next two I believe. That could make six L's in a row which can really mess with a teams psyche. Hopefully we can split these next two. If we do that I'll be feeling really good.

8 minutes ago, khoock said:

Gotta find a way to go .500 or better. It'll be tough but as long as Miles can keep the team engaged I believe it's possible. The biggest issue I see, not counting Morrow, is that the two least winnable games are the next two I believe. That could make six L's in a row which can really mess with a teams psyche. Hopefully we can split these next two. If we do that I'll be feeling really good.

We can't continue to play poorly at home. We have six home games remaining...we probably need to find a way to go 5-1 in those games to get to .500 or better. 

If we can find a way to split our next 6, we have a chance to salvage this season.

It's going to be difficult and will require us to play well at home.  

@ NW Probably a loss

Pur Very difficult game.  Probably a loss

MSU not Izzo's best team.  Retiring Lue's jersey.   Must win if we want to split.

@ Iowa.  Iowa has struggled lately, but plays well at home.  Chance to steal one.

Wisconsin Previous years, this is a game that we would win in upset fashion because of the way we play at home.  This year, could be a difficult game.

PSU. If ever there was a must win game, this is it.

If we lose a couple more without Ed, I think the most important thing we can do is field a healthy team in the B1G Tournament.  I really believe we are a top 4 team healthy.  We can actually win that thing this year and it wouldn't be shocking to do so if we're healthy.  Food for thought.  I really don't want to rush Ed back before the tournament unless it looks like we're playing for the postseason.  Almost any win without him is an upset.

27 minutes ago, LK1 said:

If we lose a couple more without Ed, I think the most important thing we can do is field a healthy team in the B1G Tournament.  I really believe we are a top 4 team healthy.  We can actually win that thing this year and it wouldn't be shocking to do so if we're healthy.  Food for thought.  I really don't want to rush Ed back before the tournament unless it looks like we're playing for the postseason.  Almost any win without him is an upset.

I think it's important not to play in the 11/14 or 12/13 game on the first day. Secure a 10 seed and play 7, 2, 3 and 1 on consecutive days. Purdue is the most problematic matchup, but everyone else isn't that much better — if at all — than a healthy Husker team.

Edited by jayschool

26 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Getting healthy is a must obviously...but, we also need a top 10 finish to have a chance at making a run in the tournament.  Finishing 11-14 and having an extra game is a killer. 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Getting healthy is a must obviously...but, we also need a top 10 finish to have a chance at making a run in the tournament.  Finishing 11-14 and having an extra game is a killer. 

jayschool to huskerbaseball13: You're a genius.

huskerbaseball13 to jayschool: You're a genius, too, but just 15 seconds faster of a genius.

I'm curious how quickly Morrow will be able to get up to speed. If he can do it fairly quickly, NU's "tough" schedule looks more manageable. Purdue and Wisconsin will be tough regardless, but they're both at home and in college hoops, you never know. MSU isn't great this year and I'll take NU's chances vs. them. Going to Iowa and they're likely to be Jok-less. I'd like to see how NU does vs. OSU with Morrow on the floor, Michigan, too. And at games vs. PSU and Ill at home, NU should get those, if they're back closer to full strength. NU's not gonna sweep those games, of course, but if NU can keep Morrow on the court, I like their chances in most of these games. Or maybe I'm crazy, IDK.

3 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I'm curious how quickly Morrow will be able to get up to speed. If he can do it fairly quickly, NU's "tough" schedule looks more manageable. Purdue and Wisconsin will be tough regardless, but they're both at home and in college hoops, you never know. MSU isn't great this year and I'll take NU's chances vs. them. Going to Iowa and they're likely to be Jok-less. I'd like to see how NU does vs. OSU with Morrow on the floor, Michigan, too. And at games vs. PSU and Ill at home, NU should get those, if they're back closer to full strength. NU's not gonna sweep those games, of course, but if NU can keep Morrow on the court, I like their chances in most of these games. Or maybe I'm crazy, IDK.

I wouldn't call you crazy. I agree with you. Just imagine "what if" (record wise) had Morrow not gone down the last 4 games.  It's not unreasonable to think that we win our fair share of these last 10 games with him healthy!  Purdue, Wisconsin? I don't think we win either of those regardless. But the rest of them, he is a difference maker!

Edited by Lifetimesker

On 1/24/2017 at 11:20 AM, HuskerFever said:

We've got eleven more regular season conference games remaining. Let's get our mojo back!

Wow.

How is this Big Ten conference season half-over now?!?

Feels like this team just played their best offensive game in quite some time, need to make hay while Ty Lue is being honored against MSU!!! GBR

Thu Feb 2   51 Michigan St. W, 69-68 67 52% Home   × b.gif
Sun Feb 5   91 Iowa L, 78-75 72 38% Away   × b.gif
Thu Feb 9   11 Wisconsin L, 69-62 64 26% Home   × a.gif
Tue Feb 14   93 Penn St. W, 72-68 72 65% Home   ×  
Sat Feb 18   63 Ohio St. L, 74-68 69 30% Away   × a.gif
Thu Feb 23   51 Michigan St. L, 72-65 67 26% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 26   67 Illinois W, 70-67 67 59% Home   ×  
Thu Mar 2   44 Minnesota L, 73-64 69 23% Away   × a.gif
Sun Mar 5   35 Michigan L, 69-68 62 45% Home   × b.gif
Projected record: 14-16 8-10

28 minutes ago, 49r said:
Thu Feb 2   51 Michigan St. W, 69-68 67 52% Home   × b.gif
Sun Feb 5   91 Iowa L, 78-75 72 38% Away   × b.gif
Thu Feb 9   11 Wisconsin L, 69-62 64 26% Home   × a.gif
Tue Feb 14   93 Penn St. W, 72-68 72 65% Home   ×  
Sat Feb 18   63 Ohio St. L, 74-68 69 30% Away   × a.gif
Thu Feb 23   51 Michigan St. L, 72-65 67 26% Away   × a.gif
Sun Feb 26   67 Illinois W, 70-67 67 59% Home   ×  
Thu Mar 2   44 Minnesota L, 73-64 69 23% Away   × a.gif
Sun Mar 5   35 Michigan L, 69-68 62 45% Home   × b.gif
Projected record: 14-16 8-10

Not a fan of the overall record, but I think these projections just show how tough we play in the conference. We've only had one double-digit loss and we're currently projected to win/lose the remainder of our games within single digits.

We're currently 6-6 within 10 points and 6-3 within 5 points.

If that holds true and you just look at KenPom's scores rather than outcomes, here's what we're looking at:

Games between 5-10: 4 --> (4*0.50) 2 wins

Games within 5: 5 --> (5*0.66) 3.33 wins

So we'd win about 5-6 games to finish our final 9 games with a 5-4 or 6-3 record. It doesn't look like KenPom is giving us enough credit for playing in close games.