Question about Coach Williams

Bugeaters1

When coach was at South Dakota, did she play her whole bench ? or did she have a rotation of 7 - 8 players. The two guys that sit behind me made the comment that this isn't junior high where everyone needs to play. I just want some ammo for the next home game so that when they spout off I can set them in their place. Whoopteedoo do you have anything?

I don't know what Coach Amy's substitution patterns were at South Dakota, but I do know a little bit about coaching/playing and the fact that she's coming into a team who she didn't know at all before this season is probably the main reason she goes deep into her bench. Also the fact that we still have been unable to really find a solid core lineup who gets it done night in, night out would contribute to that too. We aren't very deep bench-wise so it's about trying to find that player who can come in and contribute right away or worst case sustain what's already going on. So if a team zones us maybe Emily sees the floor more that night; if they're small inside Grace and Darrien get more time. But honestly the reason why she probably plays 9-10 girls is bc 6,7,8 aren't really doing much to sustain what the starters are doing. We've had bright moments for Maddie, Esther and Darrien, but overall they haven't really played up to expectations. And I don't mean that in a negative way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Actualfacts1 said:

I don't know what Coach Amy's substitution patterns were at South Dakota, but I do know a little bit about coaching/playing and the fact that she's coming into a team who she didn't know at all before this season is probably the main reason she goes deep into her bench. Also the fact that we still have been unable to really find a solid core lineup who gets it done night in, night out would contribute to that too. We aren't very deep bench-wise so it's about trying to find that player who can come in and contribute right away or worst case sustain what's already going on. So if a team zones us maybe Emily sees the floor more that night; if they're small inside Grace and Darrien get more time. But honestly the reason why she probably plays 9-10 girls is bc 6,7,8 aren't really doing much to sustain what the starters are doing. We've had bright moments for Maddie, Esther and Darrien, but overall they haven't really played up to expectations. And I don't mean that in a negative way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I'm doing some research on the South Dakota site, I will post what I have found when I'm done building the spread sheet.

This is just a sample size of how she handled her bench.

South Dakota Womens Basketball 2015/16

Player Name Games Played  Avg. Minutes Played
Hemiller 38 26.2
Trimboli 37 18.4
Arens 33 8.5
Bradley 38 11.3
Stewart 38 24.6
Arens, B 38 15.4
Homoly 28 5.9
McCloud 38 16.7
Duffy 34 23.5
Liveringhouse 38 12.2
Seekamp 36 30
Hoff 34 8.2
Fogg 37 10

South Dakota Womens Basketball 2014/15

Player Name Games Played Avg. Minutes Played
Hemiller 31 24.6
Contreras 34 27.6
Loeffler 33 25.8
Hoff 34 15.4
Stewart 33 19.3
Arens, B 34 18.4
Jackson 25 9.2
McCloud 34 22.4
Liveringhouse 34 13.7
Seekamp 34 28.8
Morre 8 3.5

South Dakota Womens Basketball 2013/14

Player Name Games Played Avg. Minutes Played
Hemiller 33 29.2
Contreras 33 26
Loeffler 33 28
Hoff 12 23.3
Stewart 17 18.1
Arens, B 33 13.9
Jackson 25 6.3
McCloud 31 17.3
White 24 10
Seekamp 28 31.2
Morre 30 10.1
Harrington 33 20.7
Greaves 5 9.2
Miline 5 4.4

Nebraska Womens Basketball 2016/17

Player Name  Games Played Avg. Minutes Played
Shepard 20 29.3
Eliely 20 26.8
Whitish 20 21.1
Havers 20 26
Cincore 20 24.2
Simon 20 12.1
Ramacieri 18 17.3
Cascio  Jensen 20 14
Washington 20 12.7
Wood 20 8.8
Mitchell 20 9.7

Edited by Bugeaters1

Thanks for the work Bugs....

It does look like she did play a lot of people. A few that didn't play a lot. Had a full roster too...which we don't now for the many reasons we've talked about numerous times.

So playing lots of people must be in her plans.

Historically, that's not what B1G teams do usually. Maybe 8 or a bit more get the most playing time...depending on which team. Not uncommon to see a few never take off the warm up jersey on top level teams.

So, will it work? We'll see next year I guess.

Thanks for the work Bugs....

It does look like she did play a lot of people. A few that didn't play a lot. Had a full roster too...which we don't now for the many reasons we've talked about numerous times.
So playing lots of people must be in her plans.

Historically, that's not what B1G teams do usually. Maybe 8 or a bit more get the most playing time...depending on which team. Not uncommon to see a few never take off the warm up jersey on top level teams.

So, will it work? We'll see next year I guess.

I'll do the games and minutes played for the huskers this afternoon when,I get home from work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

one thing to remember-----coach williams was hired (at usd) into a pretty good situation. ryun williams did not leave a mess, but, it was also obvious the players she had on the roster would do anything for coach williams during her time there. they loved playing for her. when hired, i believe the squad developed immediate trust and chemistry developed very quickly. she had a pretty good mix of offensive players and, i would say, any drop-off that MAY have been made on the offensive end as far as subs, could be made up in defense. seemed like the majority of her players were (at least) pretty good defensively.

jmo, but, if you are looking for her to build a similar style that she had at usd, you better be patient. plus, it may never happen quite like she had at usd. i think coach williams is a pretty smart person, and, she will figure out what works best for her team. will it be soon enough for the fans (or the powers that be)? don't have to remind anyone she's at another level now.

btw, good work, bugs!

Edited by whoopdeedoo

When watching the WNIT games, I remember thinking she gave the bench quite a few minutes. Her system seemed to be to play fast and go "all out" offensively and defensively. Give 130% while on the court- knowing there would be a sub to give you a break in a few minutes. Offensively, it seemed to be push the ball up the court fast and the first player with an open shot had the green light to shoot. Defensively, again "all out" -get in the passing lane and create turnovers leading to fast break points. The post players also got up and down the court quickly.

I don't know if Jess is dealing with a minor nagging injury, poorly conditioned or if it is by design of the offense but she seems much slower going up and down the court this year. I remember times last year where she would beat Everyone down the court and recieve a long pass from Theriot for a layup. Now, it feels like we are so slow getting into the offensive set that we have given the defense time to set up. The defense against us has time to get back, get organized and find Jess for a double/triple team. I believe this offense is meant to run fast.

As many have said, next year could be very different. Our freshmen are gaining valuable experience at the college level. Hopefully Burns is healthy. I'm looking forward to her intensity and leadership. GBR!

When coach was at South Dakota, did she play her whole bench ? or did she have a rotation of 7 - 8 players. The two guys that sit behind me made the comment that this isn't junior high where everyone needs to play. I just want some ammo for the next home game so that when they spout off I can set them in their place. Whoopteedoo do you have anything?

People on my side were wondering the same thing. I agree with actualfacts. I think that she's trying to give everyone a chance this year. IMO, I don't think everyone should be playing. I watched the Penn State/Indiana game last night and Tyra Buss and Teniya Page played basically the whole game. I think that you have to ride with your best players and that's usually 7-8 deep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trying to give everyone a chance or trying to keep everyone happy? Our starting line up has changed once this year and it was because of an injury. I watch a lot of the Iowa games and I know their starting line up has changed, AT THE LEAST, four times this year. (Sorry to the Iowa haters for referencing Iowa).  As much as we are struggling do we need to try some different mixes? This last game there was no flow or emotion out there. 

Trying to give everyone a chance or trying to keep everyone happy? Our starting line up has changed once this year and it was because of an injury. I watch a lot of the Iowa games and I know their starting line up has changed, AT THE LEAST, four times this year. (Sorry to the Iowa haters for referencing Iowa).  As much as we are struggling do we need to try some different mixes? This last game there was no flow or emotion out there. 

I agree with trying something different. The only thing I can think of changing is throwing Maddie in the starting lineup for Alley since she's struggling right now. Other then that, I don't see anyone else that can start. I don't want to sound mean or anything but we just don't have enough players that can compete at a high level.

We've changed our starting lineup up a few times, but not so sure it makes a huge difference. There are just so many other issues that are problematic.

New coaches to adapt to squad, new offensive and defensive schemes, new players, need a full squad, depth of bench, lack of bench scoring, defensive play over all, way to many turnovers, rebounding, consistent offense, conditioning concerns, consistent shooting, free throws, etc etc etc. 

But there are good things too, the freshmen are doing real well, free throws are getting better, we have flashes of real good scoring, the zone defense has helped, handling the press is pretty much fixed for the most part, ...we just can't yet get over the hump for some other things.

Not so sure where we'll get to next year, but we'll have a much different squad...maybe closer to what Coach wants to see.

At this point it's got to be tough to keep the players morale up, and be positive....just is a tough, tough year. Have to believe Coach is doing all she can... to keep everyone positive.

Edited by redsteve

14 hours ago, proudparent said:

I agree with trying something different. The only thing I can think of changing is throwing Maddie in the starting lineup for Alley since she's struggling right now. Other then that, I don't see anyone else that can start. I don't want to sound mean or anything but we just don't have enough players that can compete at a high level.

What about throwing Wood in there and starting off in a zone? Or do you think she's just too small? It doesn't have to be permanent.

I'm just thinking we need to light some fire under some of these kids. We may not see a huge difference this year but maybe it will help their mentality for next year. 

I don't think what is coming aboard next year is going to make a huge difference.  More quality depth but it is going to be a long climb out of the basement.  I follow the team faithfully and wish them well but we have to be patient.

I agree. We need a couple of more players to be able to compete for next year. I think we need some JUCO program changers.

3 hours ago, KearneyMan said:

Here is my first rant on the women's team. Jess Shepard is FAT!! I think she has gained to much weight, and before you people slap me about a woman's appearance. You need to listen to this. She is out of shape and needs to get back in better shape!! I'll say it again she is FAT!!! There is my first rant!

I think that whoever stole your keyboard meant to say this:. "It appears that a couple of players are struggling with conditioning, which is disappointing given the resources we have in strength and conditioning and nutrition.  A lot of coaches have said 'great players are made in the offseason.'  It looks like not much work was put in over the offseason by these players, and it is limiting their performance during the season. Hopefully everyone will learn from this and our conditioning will dramatically improve in the offseason. "

Edited by HB

Where were you when Andre Almeida played here?  Lotsa jokes and comments about his weight and physique and nobody on this forum came to his defense or seemed to be offended.  He was somebodies' Son, Grandson,etc.too.

IMO,when it comes to sports talk in college athletics, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The thing I wonder about with Jess - is she healthy?  She was always such an energetic and athletic kid through the years, so I expected to see more of that on the court.  I just wonder if there could be a medical issue that is interfering with her conditioning because my impression of her is that she would do whatever it takes to improve herself as a player.  One of the things that pops into my mind is a thyroid condition (I'm sure there are many other things that could cause problems as well).  Just a thought.