Injury front

ajb5856

We have multiple guys playing through various ailments that they may not be playing through if it wasnt their last go-round or if we had greater depth. There's nothing out in the public so that's all I will say. Go Nebrasketball.

It doesn't sound like Ed will be back until mid-February at the earliest. Adidas sent 10 pairs of shoes for him to try and none of them were winners. They did a custom mold of his foot. Now the issue is Adidas doesn't make a size 15 1/2. He's been wearing a 16 because that's what they have but needs to downsize a half size. At what point can the university break contract or make an exception for a player because the contracted equipment is damaging their health? Can they let Ed wear a pair of Nikes and just rip the swoosh off? A plain label shoe? Do we need to worry about losing a player to transfer because they can't wear Adidas equipment? I don't know what the actual contracted rules are but if you watch Ed before the games in warmups he is usually wearing a pair of Jordan's and then switches right prior to game time.

Ed was held out of practice for 2 weeks prior to the Northwestern game. We need him back.

5 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

They don't make 1/2 size shoes?  That is ridiculous.  How can a shoe company not make half size basketball shoes?  Ed cannot be the only basketball player in the country who requires a half size shoe. 

Well this is Adidas we're talking about. Their normal sizes go up to 14.5 but then they probably jump from 15, 16, 17, etc

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. We can't give our student athlete a shoe that actually fits him because the brand we have to use doesn't make his size, and now he's injured? And we've known this is a problem for nearly a month now, and it's still not resolved?

With all of the folks we have pulling checks in our athletic dept right now, there's no one who can fix this? 

I have to go throw up now.

23 minutes ago, throwback said:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. We can't give our student athlete a shoe that actually fits him because the brand we have to use doesn't make his size, and now he's injured? And we've known this is a problem for nearly a month now, and it's still not resolved?

With all of the folks we have pulling checks in our athletic dept right now, there's no one who can fix this? 

I have to go throw up now.

Don't forget about the foot problem last year and the fact that he played musical shoes last season too. This is beyond stupid but it comes with the outrageous equipment and gear contracts. This isn't high school where everyone wears whatever brand their parents bought them. I find it outrageous that there's not some provision or loophole regarding student athlete health if everything else has been tried. But I can see why's there's not as well because then they would all wear what they wanted eventually.

I write and negotiate federal contracts for a living, but don't know how different University contracts are.  I'm guessing they are far less complex, since they don't have layers and layers of bureacracy piled onto them.  But in federal contracts, this would be the sort of thing to potentially result in a contract termination.  The contractor would be given a cure notice, and the impetus is then with them to demonstrate how they will be able to perform the contract and not default on its terms.  Things then get rather subjective, but ultimately the federal Government can either a. accept the contractor's plan to cure its deficiencies, b. terminate the contract, or c. any number of other middle grounds, including arbitration.  Given the huge sums of money involved, I would think the University would go the middle ground route and give adidas an sickeningly large number of chances to become contractually compliant.  But I'm also assuming that the contract was written in a way properly covering the University's interests; it is possible that some moron representing UNL accepted commercially-available products without adding a clause for situations like this.  And again, I'm not sure just how different University contracts are from what I deal with.

i'm not sure what your source is, but adidas will absolutely make him a custom shoe that fits. they do it all the time for 7 footers that have massive feet.

i'm beginning to think ed just has bad feet and is blaming it on adidas.

ed just needs to take as much time off as he can until he's healthy. sadly there isn't a whole lot to play for until the B1G tourney.

Edited by TimSmiles

29 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i'm not sure what your source is, but adidas will absolutely make him a custom shoe that fits. they do it all the time for 7 footers that have massive feet.

i'm beginning to think ed just has bad feet and is blaming it on adidas.

ed just needs to take as much time off as he can until he's healthy. sadly there isn't a whole lot to play for until the B1G tourney.

Ed has bad feet and maybe he's using his preference for Jordan's as an excuse here. But, Adidas either will not make a full custom shoe (they'll do custom insoles) or there is not time to get this made for this season. They think they may have to get a size 15 and stretch the shoe.

18 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

We have multiple guys playing through various ailments that they may not be playing through if it wasnt their last go-round or if we had greater depth. There's nothing out in the public so that's all I will say. Go Nebrasketball.

It doesn't sound like Ed will be back until mid-February at the earliest. Adidas sent 10 pairs of shoes for him to try and none of them were winners. They did a custom mold of his foot. Now the issue is Adidas doesn't make a size 15 1/2. He's been wearing a 16 because that's what they have but needs to downsize a half size. At what point can the university break contract or make an exception for a player because the contracted equipment is damaging their health? Can they let Ed wear a pair of Nikes and just rip the swoosh off? A plain label shoe? Do we need to worry about losing a player to transfer because they can't wear Adidas equipment? I don't know what the actual contracted rules are but if you watch Ed before the games in warmups he is usually wearing a pair of Jordan's and then switches right prior to game time.

Ed was held out of practice for 2 weeks prior to the Northwestern game. We need him back.

Wisconsin goes Under Armour when they get the chance...all the 1/2 size shoes of their choosing! Meanwhile, Barry hires Eichorst at Nebraska and we extend our Addidas contract to 2018.  Coincidence? I think not. :ph34r: