Ed Morrow is our most important player.

PimpMario

I would disagree that he is our "most" important player.  To me that is Watson - we would really struggle without Glynn and ultimately the team tends to rise and fall as he does.   Webster is clearly critical as well   That said Morrow is certainly a very important player to this team - and may be the "most" important at least in terms of getting the team to play with intensity.   Something that has been missing at times during the latest stretch.

I think there are four players this year...that losing any of them makes it much more difficult to win

Morrow

Watson

Jacobsen

Webster

Morrow and Jacobsen..because they complement each other so well...both benefit by having the other down low...both get rebounds and put backs..because both are doing their jobs.  there are times when morrow gets a rebound and scores, but the hard work to get that board was done by jacobsen...and vice versa.

Hard to support any one player as "the most important."  But we have found that we have not won without Ed.  I would guess however, that we would also have the same issue without Glynn, Tai and possibly MJ.  Hard to win when you have multiple injuries and/or transfers sitting out as well.

Just to make one additional mention, and I hate to write this, but I am disappointed with the growth of our freshmen this year.  At this point of the season I thought they would be much further along.  The inconsistency and rookie mistakes are taking a toll.  If they step up, the injury to Ed would have less of an effect.

Completely agree with original post.  Glynn is the guy who can go bananas against a superior team and guide you to a big upset.  Tai is the guy who consistently gets you points, even when he's struggling.  But Ed is the most irreplaceable for this year's team.  

Without either Glynn or Tai, we can still win with a Molinari a.k.a. ugly style of play.  Bog the game down and play tight half-court D, have Ed collect a half dozen offensive boards, and hope that either Horne or Taylor can give you some offensive production to replace what was lost.  But without Ed, we all of a sudden get nothing in terms of second chance points.  We take way fewer free throws, because we're not getting into the double bonus without him drawing a boatload of fouls.  We're getting minimal scoring from the 4 and 5 positions combined, because the other post players rely so heavily on Ed's presence.  We're not blocking shots (other than Roby, who has done a nice job in that department).  Without looking at a box score to validate, I feel like we've given up an unusually high number of points in the paint in the last couple of games.  We've never been a team that defended the three point line well, but now we don't guard the rim either.  Need I go on?  Ed's loss on this year's team is HUGE.  Bigger than even Glynn or Tai would have been.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Completely agree with original post.  Glynn is the guy who can go bananas against a superior team and guide you to a big upset.  Tai is the guy who consistently gets you points, even when he's struggling.  But Ed is the most irreplaceable for this year's team.  

Without either Glynn or Tai, we can still win with a Molinari a.k.a. ugly style of play.  Bog the game down and play tight half-court D, have Ed collect a half dozen offensive boards, and hope that either Horne or Taylor can give you some offensive production to replace what was lost.  But without Ed, we all of a sudden get nothing in terms of second chance points.  We take way fewer free throws, because we're not getting into the double bonus without him drawing a boatload of fouls.  We're getting minimal scoring from the 4 and 5 positions combined, because the other post players rely so heavily on Ed's presence.  We're not blocking shots (other than Roby, who has done a nice job in that department).  Without looking at a box score to validate, I feel like we've given up an unusually high number of points in the paint in the last couple of games.  We've never been a team that defended the three point line well, but now we don't guard the rim either.  Need I go on?  Ed's loss on this year's team is HUGE.  Bigger than even Glynn or Tai would have been.

Yes. It's as simple as this. We've lost 4 in a row because we haven't gotten defensive stops and closed out possessions. It's been a layup drill for opposing teams. That's where Ed comes in. Plugs the middle, gets rebounds.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Yes. It's as simple as this. We've lost 4 in a row because we haven't gotten defensive stops and closed out possessions. It's been a layup drill for opposing teams. That's where Ed comes in. Plugs the middle, gets rebounds.