OT: Unrest @ Wichita St.

Bugeaters1

Very interesting. We (Nicea) were recruited very heavily by WSU. We narrowed it down to 3 schools (out of 27 offers) which were Wichita State, Colorado University and Nebraska. After our visit to WSU we were almost 100% sure Nicea was going there. We really liked Coach Jody Adams. The allegations had just come out about her so I knew the main thing I wanted to ask her was to explain that situation. She was very open and honest and we left feeling pretty certain there was nothing to worry about. Almost didn't go on our visit to Nebraska we were so high on WSU, but Britney Brown - the assistant at the time under Coach Yori was so consistent recruiting Nicea that we felt like we owed it to her. Obviously after 2 days in Lincoln we fell in love with everything about NU. But I well say one of the things about the program we liked was the hard-nosed coaching style of Yori. Like I said before, Nicea actually thrives under that style. Not as much with a laid back style like Williams...anyhoo I don't know what happened at WSU and I do believe there is alot of abuse of players by coaches; but I also believe coaches aren't being allowed to discipline players like they used to be. This generation of kids don't have the same respect for authority as my generation or those before me. When a coach is tough on today's players they're more likely to report the coach to the AD vs. sucking it up and trying to get better. It's an epidemic with all these coaches getting investigated and/or fired for player abuse. Kinda sad actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

On another note, kind of a funny story. We took our visit to CU Boulder and coach Linda Lappe - who was let go at the end of last season - seemed very pleasant. She wanted Nicea really bad. Which was understandable bc Nicea was the #2 player in Colorado and it would've been great to sign a homegrown kid to her program. We knew she was on the hot seat and we asked her and the AD about that on the visit. They both assured us she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon at all. Anyway, at the end of the visit she wanted Nicea to verbally commit, but we refused bc we told her we were going to Nebraska the following weekend and we'd decide after that visit. So the night before we're set to go to NU Coach Lappe calls Nicea at about 10p and I can see Nicea has a kind of worried look on her face. I ask her what's wrong and she says Coach Lappe said if I go on the trip to Nebraska she's taking the scholarship offer away. Needless to say that conversation pretty much took CU out of the equation bc I was not going to have a coach bully Nicea before she's even one of her players. Coach Lappe had another losing season and was let go, and I'm sure she's not an ugly person, but the pressure had her acting otherwise. We obviously made the right choice with Nebraska and in spite of our current struggles winning, Nicea loves everything about being a Husker!

Regrettably, not so sure if many of the old school hard nose coaches can exist much longer in today's women's game. It only seems to take one whiner, and schools out for the coach.  (unless your winning big, and in the Top 10, and the AD and Chancellor are happy)

Anyway, Actual...Coach Williams is in a little of a predicament right now and needs every body she can get on the floor. Hopefully the depth will improve. So, next year with more players on the squad, the staff can be a little more demanding.....if that's her(their) style. Nicea's been a huge asset to the team already...so glad she wasn't swayed by what were basically threats.

Still feel like the team will keep improving...and will continue to develop... pretty much based on coach Amy's past track record.  Needs good recruits to succeed. Not a new story.

Edited by redsteve

oh man, hate to think where this team would be without the presence of Nicea. soooooo glad she became a husker.

just a little surprised to read/hear the comments about coach williams style. although, first season and did walk into a hornets nest. just wonder if things won't change somewhat when the roster starts to fill up with more of her recruits. time will tell.

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

oh man, hate to think where this team would be without the presence of Nicea. soooooo glad she became a husker.

just a little surprised to read/hear the comments about coach williams style. although, first season and did walk into a hornets nest. just wonder if things won't change somewhat when the roster starts to fill up with more of her recruits. time will tell.

I think we got to see what her style of play will be like at PSU game. It was a fun to watch it, just hope she can get better and more concsistant shooters.

Oh no I wasn't necessarily saying Coach Amy's style of coaching is "bad". Just saying that I'd like her to be a little tougher on Nicea. Just little things I notice - because I know my daughter - that would allow her to get more out of Nicea. Things that the average fan doesn't pick-up on because they see all the other things she does so well. I'm not going to say them out loud bc then you guys would be watching the games going, "Oh yeah she does do that!" Lol. But if we weren't confident in Coach Amy, and if Nicea didn't absolutely love this team I wouldn't even comment on these posts bc I'd know we didn't plan on being lifetime Huskers. I really appreciate having this forum to listen to all the different perspectives and support!

Oh no I wasn't necessarily saying Coach Amy's style of coaching is "bad". Just saying that I'd like her to be a little tougher on Nicea. Just little things I notice - because I know my daughter - that would allow her to get more out of Nicea. Things that the average fan doesn't pick-up on because they see all the other things she does so well. I'm not going to say them out loud bc then you guys would be watching the games going, "Oh yeah she does do that!" Lol. But if we weren't confident in Coach Amy, and if Nicea didn't absolutely love this team I wouldn't even comment on these posts bc I'd know we didn't plan on being lifetime Huskers. I really appreciate having this forum to listen to all the different perspectives and support!

maybe as time goes on coach will get that figured out and start to push her more. We have to remember that everyone is new to this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On 1/21/2017 at 6:33 PM, leichleiter2 said:

We love having her as a Husker and look forward to watching her and this group of ladies on there basketball journey. emoji459.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Thread and Comments from everyone (at least as they pertain to the Huskers and WBB program ;)).   I think we should all be grateful that Nicea re-affirmed her commitment to Nebraska, indeed All of the freshmen who re-affirmed, even though each one had been formally released after the coaching change. 

Despite the disappointing season to date, from the results on the floor so far from the incoming class, along with those who will become eligible starting next season and next year's commits, the future appears bright.

I expect we will see better team discipline next season.  Losing can be a big motivator (if it isn't you may have the wrong players).  And next year today's freshmen will be more experienced and in a better position to exert leadership.  Peer pressure may be even more important in getting the best out of your teammates than coaching exhortations.