uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 18 - Ohio State

uneblinstu

This one is a gut punch.

- I thought all things considered, NU played about as well as it could have in the first half.

- Things fell apart in the second. For whatever reason OSU was able to get to the rim at will.

- I thought NU's in experience vs. OSU's more veteran lineup was significant down the stretch.

- NU just played really soft in the second half. It was puzzling.

- I have no idea why Jack was guarding Tate there in the middle of the second half. I don't think I've ever seen someone call for the ball as emphatically as he did there.

- I didn't have a good angle on the play where OSU scored. What happened there?

- What the heck happened to our free throw shooting?

- Glynn was off a bit. Hope he gets back on again soon.

- Someone go lay hands on Ed, please.

- Nice to see Copeland is in the fray.

I don't know what else, I really felt like OSU was the tougher team tonight. That was supposed to be NU's identity. I know Ed was a big part of that, but need to find a way to capture it again without him. Gotta find a way to get back on the wagon vs. Rutgers. That's gonna be a mental game, I think. If NU can get past this one, I think they'll be fine. If it lingers, it could be a tough road.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

The Final play...Watson fell/slipped...Tai had to choose which guy to cover and left one guy open.

Miles had jacobsen on the inbounder...I wish he would have had him in the paint.

My extreme knowledge of the finer points of basketball tell me to cover the open guy under the basket first!

Just a bad time to slip. I have not seen a replay yet,; but wasn't Jacobsen (or somebody on the other side) straying out to far?

We don't get to run it back in the hospital!

1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

had he chose the guy open under the bucket...the guy he covered would have been the one open under the bucket (just on the other side)...damned if you do, damned if you don't

I thought he made the lay up on the right hand side...But I havn't seen relays and II was busy banging my head against the wall...so I may have missed it.

Really tough loss.   Thought overall we played well in the first half - although McVeigh really struggled on defense.

Came out the second half with zero energy.  Can't understand why but that seems to be a pattern lately.  Then when Miles made a lineup change the guys on the bench were even worse.  Anyone who thinks Jeriah should be getting more minutes just needs to watch the two times Miles tried to play him in the 2nd half tonight.  Looked like he did not even want to be out there.  Both our freshman need to learn that you have to play with maximum effort and intensity when you are on the floor.  Isiah did some good things but needs to be more aggressive and got caught napping a couple times.  One time Roby just stood and watch a loose ball go past -though Miles was going to lose it when that happened.  As noted McVeigh also continued to struggle in the second half - I really think this might have been Jack's worst game as a Husker.  Not so much him not making shots as not playing with effort on defense.   Glynn struggled tonight as just could not feel his shot - but never thought he was not giving a decent effort.  Can't say that about some of the others tonight.

Easy to complain about officiating but that is no excuse for the way we played tonight.  That said, when the same refs are out there for multiple games in the Big 10 I don't understand how some players constantly seem to get away with crap and don't get a reputation so refs look for their BS.  Jashean Tate gives an extra shove nearly every time he sets a screen but it never gets called.  And the one time I swear he took at least 5 steps and did not get called for traveling - could have been more but I ran out of fingers :).

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

had he chose the guy open under the bucket...the guy he covered would have been the one open under the bucket (just on the other side)...damned if you do, damned if you don't

Yeah - Loving did not go to the hoop until after Glynn fell down.   Miles said on the post-game that they were running a switch so I am sure Tai went the direction he was supposed to go.  But doesn't work when Glynn loses his balance and falls down.

2 minutes ago, trickey said:

I thought he made the lay up on the right hand side...But I havn't seen relays and II was busy banging my head against the wall...so I may have missed it.

he did make it from the right hand side...but had tai left the other guy, he would have made it from the left hand side....it was two on one once Watson fell down

3 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

Really tough loss.   Thought overall we played well in the first half - although McVeigh really struggled on defense.

Came out the second half with zero energy.  Can't understand why but that seems to be a pattern lately.  Then when Miles made a lineup change the guys on the bench were even worse.  Anyone who thinks Jeriah should be getting more minutes just needs to watch the two times Miles tried to play him in the 2nd half tonight.  Looked like he did not even want to be out there.  Both our freshman need to learn that you have to play with maximum effort and intensity when you are on the floor.  Isiah did some good things but needs to be more aggressive and got caught napping a couple times.  One time Roby just stood and watch a loose ball go past -though Miles was going to lose it when that happened.  As noted McVeigh also continued to struggle in the second half - I really think this might have been Jack's worst game as a Husker.  Not so much him not making shots as not playing with effort on defense.   Glynn struggled tonight as just could not feel his shot - but never thought he was not giving a decent effort.  Can't say that about some of the others tonight.

Easy to complain about officiating but that is no excuse for the way we played tonight.  That said, when the same refs are out there for multiple games in the Big 10 I don't understand how some players constantly seem to get away with crap and don't get a reputation so refs look for their BS.  Jashean Tate gives an extra shove nearly every time he sets a screen but it never gets called.  And the one time I swear he took at least 5 steps and did not get called for traveling - could have been more but I ran out of fingers :).

Probably the one guy who might have earned some more minutes in the second half by his play in the first half was Fuller.

7 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Maybe try and hack one of them before they can throw it in& hope they miss a free throw. No good options once Watson fell down

I think if you are going to play man to man you need to have nobody checking the guy passing it in.  You must protect the paint at all costs in that situation.  I think you have to live with a reasonably contested jump shot in that situation and hope they miss.  If there is a particular guy you don't want to get the ball perhaps a box and one type of junk defense.  When you start thinking of NCAA tourney chances, there weren't many realistic paths that don't include winning that game, that is why it hurts so bad.  At the end of the day, we probably just are not good enough to make it.  Too many small holes and the coaching we face is too good to get away with it. 

Edited by royalfan

7 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I think if you are going to play man to man you need to have nobody checking the guy passing it in.  You must protect the paint at all costs in that situation.  I think you have to live with a reasonably contested jump shot in that situation and hope they miss.  If there is a particular guy you don't want to get the ball perhaps a box and one type of junk defense.  When you start thinking of NCAA tourney chances, there weren't many realistic paths that don't include winning that game, that is why it hurts so bad.  At the end of the day, we probably just are not good enough to make it.  Too many small holes and the coaching we face is too good to get away with it. 

Exactly - on the man-to-man at the end: That we could have had 5 covering 4 is confounding to me that the inbounder was being guarded straight up. Why cover the guy throwing it in?!?  There is only a second left, that guy will not get the ball back in time. And OSU was only making layups in the 2nd half, literally the only way OSU wins is exactly how it played out. So disappointing...

I am really at a loss for words after that.  It seems like once a year, we find a way to lose a game we shouldn't.  The good news is our 3 conference losses are against teams we face again this season (NW, Mich, and OSU)  Payback will be hard, but we will be right where we want to be if we get them back.

We replaced Ed's scoring by Taylor getting us 11.  We replaced his rebounding with Roby getting us 8 boards.  However, Ed not being on the court has truly hurt us, and I didn't think it would effect us that much.  Miles said it seemed we weren't tough enough.  That seems to be what we were exactly missing.

I am done feeling sorry about myself.  We have to put this one behind us, and move onto Rutgers.  Please, don't let them get their first win over us.

The way Tim explained on the post gae was that they switched on every screen and had it covered so that would have need to take a contested jump shot.  BUT Glynn got his feet caught up with Loving and with Loving being stronger Glynn hit the floor and then the lay up was open.  Tim said they had it if Glynn does falldown.  He said they ran extally what they thought they would and we had it covered.  If you remember the inbounder wasn't even looking at the basket and Loving stood there for a beat or two before he was spotted.  So the lay up wasn't even an option that OSU was looking for.

How long did we go without a basket in the second half?  I remember 6 straight missed shots, I think.

Easy to get hung up on that last play.

Points in paint
1st Half - Neb: 20, OSU: 8
2nd Half - Neb: 10, OSU: 30

We spent most of the start of the 2nd half settling for jumpers while Ohio St worked into our interior which is how they got back into the game. 

We finally shifted momentum with like 4-5 minutes left. That's when Jordy and Glynn went 0-4 from the FT line.

Going to just ask this. Did they double OT winner take too much out of us?  

Glynn has not played all that well since and his jumper has been short.  Our free throws have also been short and don't short shots mean tired legs.

Now I know that it has been a while, they are young and they should be okay by now, but, since then some things that require legs have been lacking a bit.

Just something to thing about... then say Silvebacked1... your...a...pure...                

dumbass at least that is what my wife loving calls me.

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Easy to get hung up on that last play.

Points in paint
1st Half - Neb: 20, OSU: 8
2nd Half - Neb: 10, OSU: 30

We spent most of the start of the 2nd half settling for jumpers while Ohio St worked into our interior which is how they got back into the game. 

We finally shifted momentum with like 4-5 minutes left. That's when Jordy and Glynn went 0-4 from the FT line.

Nebraska started the game by making 10 of 14 on two-point attempts. NU finished shooting 10-25 on two's after the hot start.