uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 18 - Ohio State

uneblinstu

Free Throws...Ugh!

Couldn't throw the ball in the ocean in 2nd half.

Way to many defensive breakdowns, both 1-on-1 and miscommunication/bad recovery on overplaying the screen.

This team needs to figure out how to play with a lead - they seem to lose the sense of urgency when they get up by 6, 8 or 10 points (they've been in that position at some point in every B1G game, I believe, but they've either lost the game or had to pull a win out of their behinds at the end).  Hopefully, that's just a symptom of being a young team.

I had guessed after the game that in conference-only games, we'd be last in the Big Ten in free throw shooting. Not quite - we are 12th at 63.6%. Rutgers is somehow only shooting 53.8% (56-104) and is last. I do not know how that is possible for a team to shoot so poorly from the line.

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/mbb-confonly.html

After the fact thought: If they had the ball at the other end of the court we would have put our biggest man (Jordy?) on the inbounds passer and had him jump and wave his arms as aggressively as possible to make it  difficult  to even see anyone to pass to. They were out of T.O.'s so that would have not been an option. Anyone else think this strategy might have been successful last night? Certainly couldn't have worked out any worse than what we did.

Exactly - on the man-to-man at the end: That we could have had 5 covering 4 is confounding to me that the inbounder was being guarded straight up. Why cover the guy throwing it in?!?  There is only a second left, that guy will not get the ball back in time. And OSU was only making layups in the 2nd half, literally the only way OSU wins is exactly how it played out. So disappointing...

Unless the inbounder Throws it off of a defensive guy and gets a layup.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had guessed after the game that in conference-only games, we'd be last in the Big Ten in free throw shooting. Not quite - we are 12th at 63.6%. Rutgers is somehow only shooting 53.8% (56-104) and is last. I do not know how that is possible for a team to shoot so poorly from the line.

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/mbb-confonly.html

You haven't watch the nebraska women shoot freethrows have you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

*-Nebraska was 5-1 in games decided by five points or less before tonight’s loss
*-Evan Taylor matched his season high for the third straight game with 11 points and also matched his season and career best with eight rebounds. Taylor also led Nebraska with three steals.
*-Tai Webster finished with a game-high 18 points and has been in double figures in all 17 games this season and 18 straight dating back to last season
*-Isaiah Roby blocked a career-high four shots and matched his career high with eight rebounds
*-Nick Fuller scored his first basket of the season and matched his season best with two boards in eight first-half minutes

Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles

On what happened on the last play of the game:
“We called timeout to see what they were lined up in and they were lined up in a play where they cross a big, and they kind of circle out their other big, and then they cross their wings and then they send one of those wings out. I just felt like it was going to be [Marc] Loving or Kam Williams coming off for a jumper. We have two different types of end-out defense, so we decided to switch screens. So we switch it out just fine and in fact they were watching the first option, which was that guy coming off the single, but Glynn [Watson Jr.] lost his feet. He is down on his hands and knees and can’t get back in front of Loving. He was down for a while, so they almost didn’t see him but at the same time, I don’t care what you run, if you fall down you are going to give up a layup and that is what happened. I just felt like it was the right play because that was the one thing that could take away the catch and shoot. That is the one thing you can do defensively. We don’t zone many end-outs so we don’t practice that. We do practice this. I thought if we can make them throw it out on top and then have somebody try and dribble into a desperation shot. At least we weren’t giving up a rhythm shot but when we lost our feet, you’re dead.”

On if he thought the game would come down to a last second shot:
“Well, no. If you can get past the emotion of the last second play – this is what I told the guys in the locker room – let’s just look at our body of work. We played a really good first half. Nine assists, 18 field goals. We built a lead, kept the lead, played a very steady defensive game. And then we come out the second half and we get seven field goals, they get 17. They get us 30-10 in the paint. We don’t force a turnover. I said ‘that’s the problem.’ Then, we don’t close the game. From 3:58 to 2:07 we go 0 for 2 at the line, then we come down and get a three. Then we go miss a layup, and then we come back and miss two free throws. At the same time, we only hold them in those two-plus minutes and they only score one time. We should have a three, four, five-point lead by the time we took the lead. So a lot of young mistakes, guys that are freshmen and sophomores making them. You learn by putting your hand on the burner, and that’s what we did tonight and got burned.”

Nebraska Senior Guard Tai Webster 

On the final play:
“We called the time out. [We] wanted to see what they were in and based on what they came out with. We were going to scheme up a plan to hopefully stop them. We wanted to go in and switch everything because normally we’ll stay off everything and we didn’t want to chase them out and give them a nice look at a jump shot. They’ve been hitting a lot of those shots. For a lot of those guys like Loving and Lyle, those are good shots for them, especially Kam [Williams]. I’m not really sure what happened at the end, I think we had someone fall over and then from there on they picked their poison. They had multiple ways to get us. I feel like they got away with one tonight, but if it was the other way around, I would’ve felt like we got away with one as well.”

On the difference between the first and second halves
“Our pace was good. We were moving the ball around. It wasn’t sticking quite as well but once we really moved it and started scoring buckets out of our defense and transition, that’s how we were able to come out and get the lead. We didn’t quite come out in the second half with that same pace that we needed to.”

Nebraska Junior Guard Evan Taylor

On the second half: 
“The biggest thing is regardless of that play, we have to think of how we got there. We went into halftime with the lead, and we didn’t come out with the same pace. If we go back to the beginning of the second half and everything leading up to that, how do we put ourselves in that position? When you don’t take it seriously and get to that position, anything can happen. The ball didn’t bounce our way tonight. In the same breath, we have to have a short term memory, and we have a game on Saturday.”

Nebraska Sophomore Forward Michael Jacobson

On his words to his team:
“I know it’s going to hurt a lot for everybody. That one definitely stings. I feel like we had control of the game, obviously the entire first half maybe had some chance to put them away and didn’t to come back and play that bad in the second half and end up with an L especially with a tight conference this year and now we’re .500 (in the Big Ten). We should be better than that. We got to get ready and come back Saturday. We can’t keep letting this thing slide.”

Ohio State Head Coach Thad Matta

On the game winning basket:
“I was saying, 'About time something good happened for us.' C.J. Jackson made a tremendous read on the play, taking the ball inbounds. Just a tremendous job of being patient with it.”

On winning the game:
“Everybody is going to remember the last play obviously and deservingly so. I was really proud our guys in the second half. We weren’t very good in the first half which was obvious, and we talked about some things at half time. Told them we needed to chip away after the first time out. I thought we really competed. I told those guys that I could give 15 game balls away in the second half. JT (Jae’Sean Tate) diving on the floor calling time out, JaQuan made some incredible reads and Marc had some big time rebounds. David Bell’s defense with the ball screen stuff was really good. It was the fact we took care of the basketball and hold them 5 for 21 in the second half. We said at halftime, every time we cheated the system defensively, they made us pay which is what really good teams do. I thought we were much more true to what we wanted to do defensively in terms of game plan.” 

On the amount of turnovers in the first half:
“Well we used them all in the first half. Here’s the thing in Nebraska, as much credit as they deserve for their defense, but they’re a steals team. We talked about it, showed it coming into the game. Another thing they do is really challenge the shot around the rim. We weren’t as strong as we needed to be with the basketball when we got inside the defense and those are things we got to continue to build up on.”

Ohio State Senior Forward Marc Loving

On the final sequence:
“I felt like I had a pretty clean look. That’s definitely a shot I am capable of making. I wanted another opportunity, but Kam Williams was originally the option on the play. A lot of guys went to him because he’s a fantastic shooter, and I just happened to be open.”

On the importance of winning this game:
“Every win is important. No win is bigger than the other. I feel like we are going into the right direction with this momentum and we keep going forward.”

On not turning over the ball on the second half:
“Just pace. I feel like we were screening a lot better. We were setting up our cuts a lot better. We kind of settled down. We were a little frantic almost in the first half. We ended up settling down and it worked out with no turnovers.”

What is truely amazing to me is how many people think we just left this kid go to the hoop unguarded on purpose.  Not on here but, from people leaving the game and some others I have talked to.

And how many didn't either see or understand that Glynn fell down. Again after the game not anybody on here. 

When it happened I thought he was pushed to the ground but, no.  

But we lost that game from the start of the second half to the 5 min. mark.   Sigh...

There is not a game left on our schedule that we cannot win.

There is also not a game left on our schedule that we cannot lose.

I have said this about every year as more of a "we could always win... you never know" type of statement.

I can confidently say that this year there is not one game left that we cannot win or lose.

We have 12 regular season games left fellas!  Still a lot to play for and I do not plan on sending Tai out with nothing.  He deserves it for all of the work that he has put in.  We also have the Big 10 Tournament which... once again... we **could** win.  This is the year.  Let's do this thing... for Tai, for Miles, for the players, and for us.

I hate losing also... so let's NOT do that again please.  I might hate losing more than I like winning... if that is possible.

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There is not a game left on our schedule that we cannot win.

There is also not a game left on our schedule that we cannot lose.

I have said this about every year as more of a "we could always win... you never know" type of statement.

I can confidently say that this year there is not one game left that we cannot win or lose.

We have 12 regular season games left fellas!  Still a lot to play for and I do not plan on sending Tai out with nothing.  He deserves it for all of the work that he has put in.  We also have the Big 10 Tournament which... once again... we **could** win.  This is the year.  Let's do this thing... for Tai, for Miles, for the players, and for us.

I hate losing also... so let's NOT do that again please.  I might hate losing more than I like winning... if that is possible.

Hear, hear.

Having watched every other team play in the B1G this year I would say that the only game that we will be 10+ underdogs will be Purdue.  They are playing very well right now.

Other than that we play our A game and we can beat anybody in this league this year.  Bring a B or lower and flip a coin. Like last night.

18 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Having watched every other team play in the B1G this year I would say that the only game that we will be 10+ underdogs will be Purdue.  They are playing very well right now.

Other than that we play our A game and we can beat anybody in this league this year.  Bring a B or lower and flip a coin. Like last night.

Given the way that Home/Away effects the spread we won't be a 10+ underdog to either Purdue nor Wisconsin but potentially will be vs Northwestern and Minnesota.

The most frustrating thing to me is that if we were healthy we would be, at worst, 5-1. I know everybody has injuries and is banged up but it's always different when it is your team.

But there are alot of winnable games left on the schedule. Hopefully we get Ed back soon.