uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 17 - @ Michigan

uneblinstu

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

Maybe somebody can tweet Miles and tell him that we are 7-0 when Horne plays 10 + minutes.  Horne has only had 7 minutes each the last 2 games.

giving horne's minutes to fuller is a real wtf move by miles.

horne is our 3rd leading scorer on a per minute basis.

Edited by TimSmiles

16 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Was Horne going to play the 5 like Fuller today then?  

would he have done worse? they are the same size, and fuller had 3 fouls in 5 minutes.

fuller will probably be transferring from the program in 2 months, so i don't see the point in playing him meaningful minutes over a more talented freshman.

Edited by TimSmiles

10 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

would he have done worse? they are the same size, and fuller had 3 fouls in 5 minutes.

fuller will probably be transferring from the program in 2 months, so i don't see the point in playing him meaningful minutes over a more talented freshman.

And I believe you will be there to hold the door for him as he moves from the dorm.

Give it a rest Tim we get it you want him gone, soon he will be and you can now sleep better.:angry:

36 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

Fuller did some nice things.  He is the player every program needs.  He entered the game, and Wagner lost the ball out of bounds for a turnover.  The next trip, he got matched up against Irvin, and stayed in front of him, allowing Watson to take the ball from him for an easy lay-up. 

2 of his fouls were ridiculous.  He never touched Irvin when he shot a mid-range jumper.  He gained position on Wagner for a rebound and got called for a foul when Wagner flopped. 

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

And I believe you will be there to hold the door for him as he moves from the dorm.

Give it a rest Tim we get it you want him gone, soon he will be and you can now sleep better.:angry:

i don't care if fuller stays on the team or not, but horne should be playing more.

Edited by TimSmiles

2 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay it just that any time you even say the name Fuller it starts witht the sentence that he will be transfering soon. Sooo

he's played in 4 games this year as a redshirt junior, and we are only going to have more depth next year. it just seems like the obvious choice for him, but i honestly have no problem with him staying. he's seems like a great teammate.

Edited by TimSmiles

We gave up 51 points in the 2nd half.   Horne didn't play in the 2nd half.  It's not like the players who are getting the minutes over him are defensive stoppers.  Other than Tai and Glynn, he may be our third best option to create offense.  McVeigh look like he missed some assignments on D and Horne out rebounded him.  Fuller had 3 fouls in five minutes and unfortunately is no threat on offense (which is too bad because in high school he was a very good scorer).

In the last minute, when we need 3s, Horne is still on the bench.  That isn't about defense or rebounding, because we were just fouling.

Jordy is a work in progress, has some good moments and bad.  Not sure how many true freshmen centers come in and play very well their 1st year, so I'm guessing we will see a big improvement in Jordy next year.

One thing I thought was positive from the game was Roby in his first start.  Had a solid stat line and overall played well.  He needs to work on his footwork (too many travels) but I think sometimes that comes with trying to move too fast.  The game should slow down for him soon.  That dude is one smooth passer and really distributes the ball well.  I can see why Miles thinks he could run the point/initiate the offense.  

On Fuller, I think coach felt like we were missing Ed's toughness.  The next toughest dude we have is Nick.  Thought he played that role well.  

Jacobsen was driving me nuts on the offensive end.  When he gets in the post he acts like he's the size of Benny Parker.  For God's sake, get the ball, go hard to the hoop and if it gets block, fine.  Just stop with the hesitation and weak ass shots.  I love his effort but he's got to play bigger since he is 6'9" with a nice vertical to go with it!

1 hour ago, Buglem said:

One thing I thought was positive from the game was Roby in his first start.  Had a solid stat line and overall played well.  He needs to work on his footwork (too many travels) but I think sometimes that comes with trying to move too fast.  The game should slow down for him soon.  That dude is one smooth passer and really distributes the ball well.  I can see why Miles thinks he could run the point/initiate the offense.  

On Fuller, I think coach felt like we were missing Ed's toughness.  The next toughest dude we have is Nick.  Thought he played that role well.  

Jacobsen was driving me nuts on the offensive end.  When he gets in the post he acts like he's the size of Benny Parker.  For God's sake, get the ball, go hard to the hoop and if it gets block, fine.  Just stop with the hesitation and weak ass shots.  I love his effort but he's got to play bigger since he is 6'9" with a nice vertical to go with it!

I am on the "I like Mike" bandwagon, but I thought Saturday was one of his worst games. And not only the hesitation, which I get a little being among the trees, but the dribbling.....please stop; that's been scouted.  

45 minutes ago, HB said:

I am on the "I like Mike" bandwagon, but I thought Saturday was one of his worst games. And not only the hesitation, which I get a little being among the trees, but the dribbling.....please stop; that's been scouted.  

Agree.  He played the last game like his feet or legs were hurting.  No real hops at all. 

On 1/14/2017 at 6:45 PM, TimSmiles said:

giving horne's minutes to fuller is a real wtf move by miles.

horne is our 3rd leading scorer on a per minute basis.

Fuller was playing Center, substituting in for Jacobson.

He came in with the score 54-45

The score was 66-60 after Wagner made this 2 FT.  He did rack up 3 of our 16 fouls in that time that gave them 5 FTs (all made)

You are either

1. Mad about us not playing Horne at center, because we lost

2. Mad about us playing Jack over Horne, because we lost

3. Mad about Fuller playing over Jordy, because we lost

I will say Horne at center, where the expectation would be to just bang with guys instead of chase them, is somewhat intriguing.  Weight-wise, he's the 3rd biggest active player on the roster behind Jordy and MJ.

horne averaged 11.5 ppg during our 4 game win streak. there's a good chance we wouldn't have beaten southern without him, so it is a bit confusing that miles greatly reduced his minutes the last 2 games. Didn't think it was the right time for fuller to be playing when he had played a total of 10 minutes before the michigan game. I do think Horne could have handled the Center position for a 5 minute stretch.

48 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

horne averaged 11.5 ppg during our 4 game win streak. there's a good chance we wouldn't have beaten southern without him, so it is a bit confusing that miles greatly reduced his minutes the last 2 games. Didn't think it was the right time for fuller to be playing when he had played a total of 10 minutes before the michigan game. I do think Horne could have handled the Center position for a 5 minute stretch.

And the Tim that counts didn't, so...

2 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

Horne can't even handle his own position on D... let alone the 5

8 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Horne can't even handle his own position on D... let alone the 5

I don't know about Horne at the 5...that's probably too much of a task for him.  But, I think some are really giving Horne a bad rap on the defensive end.  Is he perfect? No.  But neither is a handful of other guys.  For a program that supposedly is trying to be built from defense up....we aren't doing a great job at getting stops on that end of the floor.  And it's normally the same miscues that continue to hurt us.   

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don't know about Horne at the 5...that's probably too much of a task for him.  But, I think some are really giving Horne a bad rap on the defensive end.  Is he perfect? No.  But neither is a handful of other guys.  For a program that supposedly is trying to be built from defense up....we aren't doing a great job at getting stops on that end of the floor.  And it's normally the same miscues that continue to hurt us.   

From what I can tell the problem isn't just poor defense generally, or just the issues caused by a lack of athleticism or quicks.  It's blatant mental errors on things that have been practiced or discussed during a timeout, such as how we are handling screens, how we are handling certain offensive sets, etc.  It isn't only Horne, but reading between the lines and watching, it seems he is struggling the most.  Others have had their time limited as well for the more egregious type of defensive lapse.    Coach can't be too descriptive publicly as to the nature of the defensive error, but I'm pretty comfortable Joe Average Fan may not know the extent of it.  Easy to rant as a fan about "play this guy", but a coach only has so many ways to get through to guys as to expectations and ways to get improvement in the mental aspect.  Playing time has to be one of those ways. 

Edited by HB

10 minutes ago, HB said:

It's blatant mental errors on things that have been practiced or discussed during a timeout, such as how we are handling screens, how we are handling certain offensive sets, etc

In the Northwestern game I saw a gif of a double team gone wrong turned into an easy 3 look where I thought it was a breakdown in our zone until I realized the rest of the team was playing man

Horne is good but he's not good enough to talent his way through blowing assignments.  He sure as shit isn't good enough to talent his way through a game where scoring isn't a problem at all and he doesn't matchup well against most anyone on the court like this Michigan game. If he's got to ride bench until he figures it out, I'll take that over watching him Tony McCray his way through 4 years here.