WBB: Game #18 @ Illinois

Row6Seat10

Outscored 34 - 14 the last 13 and a half minutes in the game! Very disappointed on both ends of the court! This was a game we had a good chance to win! 

Where the heck is Allie Havers hiding? Thought for sure this was a game she should dominate especially since she stood taller than any Illini player by 4 inches!! To only grab 2 rebounds and score 4 points is not going to get done!  

Good game from Hannah, Grace, Nicea and Jess

Defense seems to be optional at various times of the game! 

Edited by Row6Seat10
spelling

Some of the good parts....

Jess had a good game. More active overall and only had 2 turnovers. 9-10 free throws...so she did well today.

Hannah also did well, ball handling was good, controlled the offense pretty well. She started out hot,  then their defense started to concentrate and defend on her, and we had no response. Like has been said, we substituted and we seem to lose our flow.....not much bench scoring really hurt.

Allie had a tough game. Also as said the numerous air balls was unusual for us, but that was symptomatic for us today. If you shoot 3 or 4 air balls, pass the ball to some one else.

Hate to say it but we got out coached the second half. Plus our defense also disappeared the second half. Some of us need more work on basic basketball skills. Drive to the basket and shoot a lay up.

Took a step backward somewhat today, but some parts of our game are actually better...but other teams are improving too.

Edited by redsteve

tough game. especially 2nd half. when a team shoots the %'s illinois did, defensive effort sticks out. still, think illinois would have beat many teams sunday afternoon. look at the one layup the one illinois player had in the second half-------how the heck did that go in? heard matt say on his broadcast when that happened, "i give up". 

should offensive struggles (at times) be such a surprise? majority of the time jess is going to get her points. hannah is proving herself on the offensive end. seeing some consistency from her. nicea continues to do some things really well, but, may be hitting a bit of a wall on the offensive end. but, really, anyone's guess is as good as another as to where the points are going to come from with this squad. 

i should mention, grace mitchell. i am impressed with her effort each time she enters the game. yeah, there are mistakes, but, she plays hard---i think we see maximum effort from her. would love to see her offensive game come around. time will tell---but, for playing out of position, she's doing pretty well.

i am starting to really wonder if mitchell or simon should start and bring allie off the bench for a game or two and see how that goes. allie seemed to do well coming off the bench in the past. of course, different time, different team. idk, just thinking...

Edited by whoopdeedoo

This is simply a tougher year than I at least, expected or hoped. The new coaches, loss of players, sensitive issues because of loss of Yori and staff. ...etc etc etc

Like I've thought many times this year, we'll be a much different team next year.  Rachel will be back..hopefully, and the two red shirted guards, plus Kissinger. The current team just isn't deep enough talent wise, (because of graduation, players leaving, etc) and all that is amplified by so many inexperienced freshmen we have to play a lot. But do believe we've gotten an awful lot, and as much as can be expected from the freshmen. Too bad we had to put so much pressure on the new kids.

Coaches...they have to work with what was here when they came. It just won't be rebuilt in one or even two years. While it's exasperating, and frustrating at times...think patience...patience 

Edited by redsteve

33 minutes ago, redsteve said:

This is simply a tougher year than I at least, expected or hoped. The new coaches, loss of players, sensitive issues because of loss of Yori and staff. ...etc etc etc

Like I've thought many times this year, we'll be a much different team next year.  Rachel will be back..hopefully, and the two red shirted guards, plus Kissinger. The current team just isn't deep enough talent wise, (because of graduation, players leaving, etc) and all that is amplified by so many inexperienced freshmen we have to play a lot. But do believe we've gotten an awful lot, and as much as can be expected from the freshmen. Too bad we had to put so much pressure on the new kids.

Coaches...they have to work with what was here when they came. It just won't be rebuilt in one or even two years. While it's exasperating, and frustrating at times...think patience...patience 

Is it Yoga time?

> It just won't be rebuilt in one or even two years.

Connie Yori year one   8-20 Overall, 1-15 Big 12/12th  had to recruit sorority girls to fill out team. 

Connie Yori year two   2004 Postseason WNIT 2nd round (18-12 Overall,  7-9 Big 12/7th)

Connie Yori year three  2005  Postseason WNIT 2nd round (18-14 Overall 8-8 Big 12/6th)

It can be done, is Coach Williams up to it. Went back to see who Coach Yori recruited in years two and three.  Chelsey Aubry, Kiara Hardy & Danielle Page were the main ones.   The two transfers will help next year, but mid-major transfers will not cut it in the Big 10 for long.

Edited by Fastbreaker

> It just won't be rebuilt in one or even two years.

Connie Yori year one   8-20 Overall, 1-15 Big 12/12th  had to recruit sorority girls to fill out team. 
Connie Yori year two   2004 Postseason WNIT 2nd round (18-12 Overall,  7-9 Big 12/7th)
Connie Yori year three  2005  Postseason WNIT 2nd round (18-14 Overall 8-8 Big 12/6th)

It can be done, is Coach Williams up to it. Went back to see who Coach Yori recruited in years two and three.  Chelsey Aubry, Kiara Hardy & Danielle Page were the main ones.   The two transfers will help next year, but mid-major transfers will not cut it in the Big 10 for long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fastbreaker - Usually what separates mid major kids from big 5 kids is size. Heart will take care of size in some cases. I just finished looking at the Va Tech/Wakeforest game and the girl from Va Tech just scored 20+. The announcers said that she was overlooked coming out of high school. She was one of our focuses on the scouting report when we played them earlier this year. There are are some players in the big 10 that should be at mid majors and vice versa. I think that the coaches see the gaps and will get the players needed to be successful. It might take 2-3 years but you have to remember that they are playing with someone else's cards right now. Some people might be saying that some of these players are mid major players. We just have to keep bringing out the positives and hopefully things will turn around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proudparent - I agree that the main difference between mid-major kids and Big 10 kids is size (and speed).  All the heart in the world won't let a mid-major player keep up with Kelsie Michell for Ohio State or most all of the Maryland players.  And just because they are undersized does not mean they automatically have more heart.  Emily Wood has as much heart, brains and ambition as anyone on the team.  But she has a handicap, her size, and because of that she is just not going to be major player in the Big 10.

Now since two of you have thrown out the 2-3 year window, I have a question.  What will be acceptable as a record after two years, after three years?  

4 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Proudparent - I agree that the main difference between mid-major kids and Big 10 kids is size (and speed).  All the heart in the world won't let a mid-major player keep up with Kelsie Michell for Ohio State or most all of the Maryland players.  And just because they are undersized does not mean they automatically have more heart.  Emily Wood has as much heart, brains and ambition as anyone on the team.  But she has a handicap, her size, and because of that she is just not going to be major player in the Big 10.

Now since two of you have thrown out the 2-3 year window, I have a question.  What will be acceptable as a record after two years, after three years?  

Actually my time window was over 2 years if you read it again. The record when ever then is, doesn't really matter, because to be realistic.... it's impossible to tell, and I don't set my expectations just by wins and losses anyway.   .........but they should improve every year.

Rather I would hope we're at least an improved team and competitive. Be an upper half league competitor of the B1G, make the B1G tourney, and get into the NCAA's.  Yori was in that group, but was a Top 10 team...what once or twice. Took her 10-12+- years at NU to get to that level. So it's very very hard to do.

Right now Coach Amy has only one of her recruits playing on the team. This really isn't her freshman recruiting class anyway. 

And for the most part we just don't seem to have the right mix of players yet...in several respects. Mix of classes in school, enough shooting guards, pure shooters, enough skilled bigs, enough pure defenders.... speed.....Sr. leadership and scorer that can kind of elevate the team....

....all that stuff that's easy to get and do. :)

As I said here before, when Coach Amy started, I give a new NU coach four years when (she/he) has full 4 years of recruiting classes, to be league competitive. Same as I thought for football Coach Riley.  After that, the team(s) should preform in a like manner as above, in the league, let alone nationally.

So for now I'll be patient, but frustrated sometimes, but will give the team some more time. Like I indicated.... my expectations for this year, for the team over all, weren't realistic enough apparently. But there are signs of improvement.

Edited by redsteve

11 hours ago, leichleiter2 said:

Looking at the Attendance for the Illinois game it was 2675 and that was a free game. We still have great supporters for our team even when we have had some struggles and record isn't great. Hats off to our fans. Always have a great time at PBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do have great fans......despite what our administration did to us.

IIRC, I thought I heard the announcer say the last four times the Huskers have played in Champaign it's been a "pack the house" free ticket give away. Of all those games prior, this was the first time the Huskers have come out on the wrong end.  Watching the Illinois post game press conference their coach was going gaga over the amount of fans that showed up. He had two players sitting at the podium also and he couldn't get them out of there fast enough to go mingle and sign autographs for all the little kids that showed up!   

On 1/16/2017 at 3:34 PM, Fastbreaker said:

Although, speaking of this season,  I'd rather see Emily Wood taking 8 shots a game from the three point line versus some of the shots others are taking.  Wood can play if we are in a zone defense.

I know our attendance is down this year. That's always tough to keep numbers up when wins don't come that easy. We still have to have a pretty good attendance average. I hope our fan base hangs in and supports this team as they compete and improve. We are blessed to have such a great fan base and venue to enjoy the sport of WBB. GBR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, leichleiter2 said:

We are blessed to have such a great fan base and venue to enjoy the sport of WBB. GBRemoji459.png

I'm spending some time in Phoenix so went to the 8th rated Washington Huskies WBB game against 19th rated Arizona St.  Got to see Kianna Ibis  (AS) and Natalie Romeo (WU) play.  Great game won by Huskies. Details on an upcoming post.  Any way I went up to the ticket window and asked if you could get General admission tickets yet for this big Pac 12 game.  Yep.  Any thing above row 10.  So sat in row 11 mid court.  Couldn't believe it.  Announced attendance was 2600.  There wasn't over 1500 there.  Big Red does have a great fan base indeed and Pinnacle is second to none.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

I'm spending some time in Phoenix so went to the 8th rated Washington Huskies WBB game against 19th rated Arizona St.  Got to see Kianna Ibis  (AS) and Natalie Romeo (WU) play.  Great game won by Huskies. Details on an upcoming post.  Any way I went up to the ticket window and asked if you could get General admission tickets yet for this big Pac 12 game.  Yep.  Any thing above row 10.  So sat in row 11 mid court.  Couldn't believe it.  Announced attendance was 2600.  There wasn't over 1500 there.  Big Red does have a great fan base indeed and Pinnacle is second to none.

I watched most of a replay of that game today.....Ibis and Romeo played most of the game for their teams. Ibis was a bit of a surprise...could play for most teams out there. Athletic and has excellent size. Nice player...better player than I might have expected on the college level...but haven't really followed her progress. Romeo was doing her usual 3 thing...she's surround by an excellent team, so blends in, and they're not so dependent on her.

A State has a group of athletic girls, all in good physical condition, and many good shooters. Both teams have good benches, and are deep. Washington simply is a good team. Don't know if they could beat a team like Maryland,...but...they have some playmakers.

On January 17, 2017 at 10:40 PM, redsteve said:

I watched most of a replay of that game today.....Ibis and Romeo played most of the game for their teams. Ibis was a bit of a surprise...could play for most teams out there. Athletic and has excellent size. Nice player...better player than I might have expected on the college level...but haven't really followed her progress. Romeo was doing her usual 3 thing...she's surround by an excellent team, so blends in, and they're not so dependent on her.

A State has a group of athletic girls, all in good physical condition, and many good shooters. Both teams have good benches, and are deep. Washington simply is a good team. Don't know if they could beat a team like Maryland,...but...they have some playmakers.

When at the game the other night I noticed several Az. St. players on crutches.  They have a lot of depth but basically lost the game to Washington in the last 7 minutes when their outstanding freshman point guard got pummeled by a Wash. player in the backcourt.  No foul as I don't even think the ref's even saw it. As noted previously in several posts the Refereeing is very inconsistent within the game and both ways. 

Fun to watch the nations leading scorer (Plum 34 pts) and nations leading rebounder (Osafor 20rb) both playing for Wash. who along with Romeo basically played the whole game.  Washington graduates their main players and imo will not be near as good next year.

I'm sure Natalie likes playing for a highly rated team but she isn't a main part of the offense this year as it's basically a 2 man show with Plum and Osafor averaging nearly 50 points per game between them.  Natalie doesn't see the ball much as they aren't using many of the skills she showed for us last year.  I'm sure that will change next year. 

Also I never saw her once flash that big smile that we were used to seeing last year.