The crowd (Kent and Matt)

ajb5856

omaha world herald  scribes still hitting Nebrasketball fans for Sunday's atmosphere.  First Dirk, now Lee B in his BIG rankings (link).  I wasn't at the game, I didn't think it came across so bad on TV or the radio.  I think NW had more to do with the L than the fans.  I suppose this would never happen at the clink.

2 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

omaha world herald  scribes still hitting Nebrasketball fans for Sunday's atmosphere.  First Dirk, now Lee B in his BIG rankings (link).  I wasn't at the game, I didn't think it came across so bad on TV or the radio.  I think NW had more to do with the L than the fans.  I suppose this would never happen at the clink.

Not having the students there and a bunch of family types on a Sunday at 1:15pm in lieu of the more rowdy singles in the crowd is a concern, but Northwestern hitting 5 straight threes is the obvious reason that it sucked. But, yeah, OWH, keep writing the fans were the "issue." Whatever.....

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Not having the students there and a bunch of family types on a Sunday at 1:15pm in lieu of the more rowdy singles in the crowd is a concern, but Northwestern hitting 5 straight threes is the obvious reason that it sucked. But, yeah, OWH, keep writing the fans were the "issue." Whatever.....

Not to mention there were still 15,000 people there.  The Mizzou photo above is a good example of a fanbase that has turned apathy into an art form.  Also, if anyone watched Va Tech play Syracuse you'd see another example of a dead environment.  The Hokies are on the cusp of being a top 25 team and they probably struggled to get that place half full.  (They still rocked Syracuse, BTW)

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

NW's style of play didn't help matters.

Tired, tired issue. Filled seats = good fans. Give them something to cheer about and they respond.

Can we gather together all of these crusty, out-of-shape media people for a clinic and they can show us how to be fans? Seriously, I'd like to see Dirk with some pompoms screaming, "Let's go, boys!" to see how it's done. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor

The energy at the Clemson game was pretty dead throughout much of the game. It was the student section who had some pretty innovative ways to instill some energy into the coliseum when their team was getting back into the game. Blame whoever you want for the energy at PBA, but I really feel like the university needs to do a better job in marketing and creating a unique experience for the students. That's a tall order, but it's also a way to try to grow the Nebrasketball product, differentiate your team from others, and hopefully get increase revenue not only in the current season but through future alumni donations as well. You're not going to inspire students with a cookie cutter "Defense, red. Let's go red" chant. Be fun. Be engaging. Define Nebrasketball. Be Nebrasketball.

On 1/8/2017 at 4:40 PM, ajb5856 said:

In the postgame Kent and Matt called out the crowd (which I don't disagree with). They basically said that this game proved that here at Nebraska it takes the team rolling to get the crowd going. In this game it was the crazy run at the end of the first half that got the crowd into it. Then Kent said that in other arenas at schools where basketball is the thing that the crowd really generates the hostile environment, especially on the defensive end, and that it just starts out that way and doesn't take the team to get the crowd going. They said that PBA should've been way crazier, especially when there was about 8 minutes to go and we were just a possession or two off the lead.

Just a follow up on this.  I don't catch a lot of what is on twitter during a game but caught this, which came out just after halftime

Don't believe I've ever seen any tweet during a game from Kent before...I know he's had to have seen this game before where a dead team rolls out to a dead crowd and you can see the other team is prepared to grind you down. Maybe it does make the difference. 

The energy at the Clemson game was pretty dead throughout much of the game. It was the student section who had some pretty innovative ways to instill some energy into the coliseum when their team was getting back into the game. Blame whoever you want for the energy at PBA, but I really feel like the university needs to do a better job in marketing and creating a unique experience for the students. That's a tall order, but it's also a way to try to grow the Nebrasketball product, differentiate your team from others, and hopefully get increase revenue not only in the current season but through future alumni donations as well. You're not going to inspire students with a cookie cutter "Defense, red. Let's go red" chant. Be fun. Be engaging. Define Nebrasketball. Be Nebrasketball.

I don't know if the PBA security puts a K bosh to the students and the mens game. For the women's games the students seat behind the south basket, while Rutgers was shooting freethrows a student was holding up the pope's figure and yelled something at the Rutgers player. When PBA security person came over and scolded the student. He's like what did I do?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Security throws guys out all the time.  One of my son's best friends was a front rower for four years. He got tossed at least 3 or 4 times a year.  Once before the game even started because he said yes to a question from a security guard.  He was asked something about if he was going to yell "whatever" (he won't tell me what :)) and the guy said follow me.

So they do keep a tight leash on them.  But then it might have been over the top too.

I don't really get the "give them something to cheer about and they will cheer guys."

Maybe it's just me... maybe I'm too much of a die hard Husker.  But there are plenty of things to cheer about.

1.  It's a gal darn Husker game.  Cheer.  Before you know it, the seasons going to be over.

2.  We were 3-0 in the Big 10 on a huge 4 game winning streak.

3.  We had a chance to be 4-0 and take sole possession of 1st place.  If that isn't reason to cheer from the get go, I don't know what is.

4.  We made a run at the end of the first.  That place should have been deafening.  Then we started out the second kind of trading buckets.  Be loud when we need a stop.

5.  People were talking about us.  Legit national basketball people.  We were starting to show up in brackets and saw a ton of first four and next four outs.  When's the last time that happened?

Like I said, maybe I'm too much of a die hard.  I live out of state, and don't get to attend the games much.  But my wife swears they can hear me in Lincoln as loud as I yell at the TV.

Most of all... you... as a fan at the game... have something not all of us can have.  The chance to see every game live.  I would KILL for that chance.  To all of those that have season tickets... thank you, GBR, make the most of it!

Make a Difference..... BE THE DIFFERENCE!

58 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I don't know if the PBA security puts a K bosh to the students and the mens game. For the women's games the students seat behind the south basket, while Rutgers was shooting freethrows a student was holding up the pope's figure and yelled something at the Rutgers player. When PBA security person came over and scolded the student. He's like what did I do?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Security throws guys out all the time.  One of my son's best friends was a front rower for four years. He got tossed at least 3 or 4 times a year.  Once before the game even started because he said yes to a question from a security guard.  He was asked something about if he was going to yell "whatever" (he won't tell me what :)) and the guy said follow me.

So they do keep a tight leash on them.  But then it might have been over the top too.

i've worked security in the past, and still work security for games, i cant go into to many details, but its a ever changing battle to determine how to let students have fun without going to far, but not ruin the fan experience, its something were always, always working on.

I disagree with those who say that it's the same way in other places.  Listen to some of these away games on the radio.  Not all of them, of course.  Some crowds are as dead as ours.  But we got out in front of Indiana and their crowd got into it and started the whole "DEE fense DEE fense" cheer.

I do agree with people who complain about the cheerleaders not leading cheers.  This is actually something I've been mentioning for years.  Not complaining about hot chicks in skimpy outfits.  They can go dance and look pretty during timeouts, during which time I'm usually engrossed in looking at the stats.  But, when the ball is in play, give me some dudes with megaphones exhorting the crowd to make some noise.

The piped in "STAND UP AND SHOOOUUUT" is next to worthless.  Someone has to start a cheer and keep it going.

What we NEVER hear anymore is the good old fashion "GO. BIG. RED. (clap) GO. BIG. RED. (clap) GO. BIG. RED. (clap)" which used to be, back in the days of the yell squad, something that people would join in even when the team was down.  We've lost that and need to bring it back.

Another one is the simple "DEE fense (clap clap) DEE fense (clap clap)." 

Once upon a time, cheerleaders would lead those cheers and we had a much more noisy environment.  IMO, it's going to have to start with cheerleaders getting the students to start a cheer that the geezers join in.  If you're waiting for my efforts to trickle down from the nosebleeds, I'm afraid you'll have to wait awhile.  Me standing up and waiving my arms to get everyone else on their feet and making noise doesn't seem to have the same effect as it did in Devaney because, up there in the dark, no one can see me.

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

5.  People were talking about us.  Legit national basketball people.  We were starting to show up in brackets and saw a ton of first four and next four outs.  When's the last time that happened?

Yeah it's too bad, too because that was our ONE CHANCE at national relevance.  Oh well...I guess we should just drop Men's Basketball and burn down PBA now.  Guys we had our chance, and totally blew it!  Nice try though.

42 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

i've worked security in the past, and still work security for games, i cant go into to many details, but its a ever changing battle to determine how to let students have fun without going to far, but not ruin the fan experience, its something were always, always working on.

From what I have gathered from this kid is that this a couple of security who work a wee bit too hard at tossing kids and not working with them.  They are know, as are the kids who like to push their buttons.:huh:

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I don't really get the "give them something to cheer about and they will cheer guys."

Maybe it's just me... maybe I'm too much of a die hard Husker.  But there are plenty of things to cheer about.

1.  It's a gal darn Husker game.  Cheer.  Before you know it, the seasons going to be over.

3.  We had a chance to be 4-0 and take sole possession of 1st place.  If that isn't reason to cheer from the get go, I don't know what is.

4.  We made a run at the end of the first.  That place should have been deafening.  Then we started out the second kind of trading buckets.  Be loud when we need a stop.

Like I said, maybe I'm too much of a die hard.  I live out of state, and don't get to attend the games much.  But my wife swears they can hear me in Lincoln as loud as I yell at the TV.

Most of all... you... as a fan at the game... have something not all of us can have.  The chance to see every game live.  I would KILL for that chance.  To all of those that have season tickets... thank you, GBR, make the most of it!

There are a number of us who believe exactly what you are preaching brother...but we are the diehards, who are there thick and thin.  I am the one yelling BRICK during an opposing free throw and being hushed by someone an aisle over.  The problem though, and you cannot discount this, is that there are a number of people in the stands that are not of our ilk.  They need stimuli to react to.  We want those fans at the game but to motivate them out of their seats is difficult at best.  Guess what, they are not the ones reading Husker Hoops Central either, so what we say or wish for is not reaching that audience.  I have a friend who professes to be a husker fan, who says he would rather stay home and watch the game in comfort without the parking problems or bad/expensive foods.  Well, good for him.  But others wish for the game time experience, but for whatever reason, wishes not to be a participant.  Hard to figure.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Wow!  I couldn't have said it better myself.  The crowd was definitely into it during the 1st half run when the team gave them "something to cheer about".  The rest of the game it was pretty dead.  It's no excuse but I think there's a pessimism about Nebrasketball and people are afraid to really invest and cheer loud because they are afraid to be let down.  It frustrates me to no end when there are 15,000 in the stands and I can hear their coach yelling at their players on offense.  Get up, be loud and help the team.  Stop waiting for them to do it on their own.

12 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

There are a number of us who believe exactly what you are preaching brother...but we are the diehards, who are there thick and thin.  I am the one yelling BRICK during an opposing free throw and being hushed by someone an aisle over.  The problem though, and you cannot discount this, is that there are a number of people in the stands that are not of our ilk.  They need stimuli to react to.  We want those fans at the game but to motivate them out of their seats is difficult at best.  Guess what, they are not the ones reading Husker Hoops Central either, so what we say or wish for is not reaching that audience.  I have a friend who professes to be a husker fan, who says he would rather stay home and watch the game in comfort without the parking problems or bad/expensive foods.  Well, good for him.  But others wish for the game time experience, but for whatever reason, wishes not to be a participant.  Hard to figure.

I am in the other camp and I am guessing if you asked my family, based on my excitement during games, I as big a diehard as anyone here.