The crowd (Kent and Matt)

ajb5856

In the postgame Kent and Matt called out the crowd (which I don't disagree with). They basically said that this game proved that here at Nebraska it takes the team rolling to get the crowd going. In this game it was the crazy run at the end of the first half that got the crowd into it. Then Kent said that in other arenas at schools where basketball is the thing that the crowd really generates the hostile environment, especially on the defensive end, and that it just starts out that way and doesn't take the team to get the crowd going. They said that PBA should've been way crazier, especially when there was about 8 minutes to go and we were just a possession or two off the lead.

i don't disagree with any of these things they said.

My question is what is the university going to do to promote a more hostile environment in men's basketball?

it was a bit better today with Miles buying the tickets but Thursday was a joke with Iowa fans sitting in our student section.  That shouldn't ever happen in an arena that is nearly sold out. Visitors shouldn't be able to buy seats down there at face value from the university. I can handle it if they go to stub hub and buy an expensive pair, but that clump of Iowa fans were able to just go to Huskers.com and buy those since it was a student free game.  How about giving 200/300 level actual Husker basketball fans the opportunity to trade in their season tickets for those games for maybe $5? Pack the floor section with basketball fans who want to be there and sell tickets to Iowa/visitors up in the nosebleeds.

I wish our crowd was better.  However, I'm watching the Iowa game, and when they were down by 8, the crowd was pretty dead, also.  It happens everywhere.  Iowa went on a run, and the crowd got it.  I thought when we played in Indiana, the crowd wasn't anything spectacular unless they were on a run.  I think with no students, the energy is tough to get. 

The university needs to get the cheerleaders to do their job..And lead cheers.  Watching them dance at timeouts does nothing to get the crowed into the games.  Having a student search for $ on the court does nothing. Throwing shirts into the first three or four rows does nothing. Dropping parachute cows from the upper area does nothing.  I remember the days of foot stomping fans shouting out "DEFENSE....DEFENSE".  I'm sorry, but other than eye candy...As it sits now...The cheerleaders and dance squad are about as useful as the Shimshams. Tossing up the words "Get Louder" on the scoreboard does not have an impact. Don't mean to vent, but I honestly think the University is taking the "Nebraska Nice" way too literal. 

Just now, Nighthawk said:

The university needs to get the cheerleaders to do their job..And lead cheers.  Watching them dance at timeouts does nothing to get the crowed into the games.  Having a student search for $ on the court does nothing. Throwing shirts into the first three or four rows does nothing. Dropping parachute cows from the upper area does nothing.  I remember the days of foot stomping fans shouting out "DEFENSE....DEFENSE".  I'm sorry, but other than eye candy...As it sits now...The cheerleaders and dance squad are about as useful as the Shimshams. Tossing up the words "Get Louder" on the scoreboard does not have an impact. Don't mean to vent, but I honestly think the University is taking the "Nebraska Nice" way too literal. 

Now now now... don't go bagging on the Shimshams... they have use... I do not know where, but they have use!

I heard and agreed with what Matt and Kent said. It's probably a mixture of apathy and expectations. Until we win consistently, the majority of the 15k will cheer when there's something to cheer about and sit quietly when there's not. 

I DO think the HuskerVision team could do a better job. The timeouts focus more on advertising than getting the crowd into the games. 

It might be a case of nostalgia, but I thoughy some of the video clips we used to play did a decent job (the Cheers clip, the Tommy Boy clip, etc.). 

I haven't been to a UNO hockey game in a couple of years, but I think their video crew has historically done a good job with video clips that pump up the crowd. 

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Not all of it...... but part of it is with the students.  Other places are having the same problem as we are right now.

What was the thing that was done in the Danny Nee era? The Dog Pound or something like that?  Granted it was back when we had a yell squad(already discussed that elsewhere so not going to beat a dead horse) , but they encouraged the students to get there early and they had people there to get the student section pumped up for the game.  Seriously...Drop all the contests and get the crowd pumped. Gotta start with the students though. 

I try to stay in the game but I'm just too damn old (low 50's) to try and yell the whole game. At the Iowa game there were 4 guys in early 20's ahead of me and 2 in mid to late 20's behind me that were really into the game and didn't give a dang if anyone told them to sit down. Today I had a guy with his 3 sons all probably 10 or younger ahead of me in those same seats and a 30 year old guy with an old (80's) guy with him who sat the whole game behind me. And the 30 year old was complaining because Jordy kept shooting with his left hand. Also noticed more really young (10 and under) kids around me today. Maybe since Thursdays game was so late that nobody brought their kids out and so more people used todays game as more of a family outing. Did have husband and wife 2 rows behind me and that gal was cheering the whole game. She had good verbal jab at the officiating that made me laugh but can't recall what she said.   

15 hours ago, rr52 said:

I try to stay in the game but I'm just too damn old (low 50's) to try and yell the whole game. At the Iowa game there were 4 guys in early 20's ahead of me and 2 in mid to late 20's behind me that were really into the game and didn't give a dang if anyone told them to sit down. Today I had a guy with his 3 sons all probably 10 or younger ahead of me in those same seats and a 30 year old guy with an old (80's) guy with him who sat the whole game behind me. And the 30 year old was complaining because Jordy kept shooting with his left hand. Also noticed more really young (10 and under) kids around me today. Maybe since Thursdays game was so late that nobody brought their kids out and so more people used todays game as more of a family outing. Did have husband and wife 2 rows behind me and that gal was cheering the whole game. She had good verbal jab at the officiating that made me laugh but can't recall what she said.   

An 8pm Thursday crowd vs a fast paced team >>>>> 1pm Sunday crowd vs a slow paced team.

There is a group of 4 guys who sit in front of me every single game.  Yesterday it was one of them and his family.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

An 8pm Thursday crowd vs a fast paced team >>>>> 1pm Sunday crowd vs a slow paced team.

There is a group of 4 guys who sit in front of me every single game.  Yesterday it was one of them and his family.

My dad and I moved from the 200 to the 100 level.  We site in what we jokingly call the daycare center as there are more kids below the age of 7 than my dad and I have sat around in decades. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

The point I was trying to make was the start time may have affected the crowd demographics. On Thursday, people with young kids probably didn't bring them because it would be late when they got home so brought someone who was more likely to make some noise. While on Sunday those same people brought their wife and/or kid(s) since they would be home before supper.

1 minute ago, rr52 said:

The point I was trying to make was the start time may have affected the crowd demographics. On Thursday, people with young kids probably didn't bring them because it would be late when they got home so brought someone who was more likely to make some noise. While on Sunday those same people brought their wife and/or kid(s) since they would be home before supper.

Exactly. We're 0-2 in front of dead crowds on 1 pm Sunday games. What do we need to switch up before the upcoming Purdue game or will playing one of the best teams in the conference be enough?

I, for one, was part of the problem.  It wasn't apathy, it was sickness.  I gutted the game out, but provided no energy.  As for the remainder of the crowd, Kent and Matt were right.  The Nebraska crowd has to be energized by the team, not vice versa.  I wish that wasn't the case, but I have long stated Nebraska fans tend to be bandwagon jumpers.  I firmly believe that is why we lost some Husker basketball fans in Omaha to Creighton (my sister and brother-in-law are two that come to mind)

Loved Barfknecht's line in today's paper:  "A great start to the league season for the Huskers, who were too gassed after the double-overtime win over Iowa to hold off Northwestern.  The only group with less energy was the Pinnacle Bank Arena crowd.  Strange to see folks pay $10 to &50 a seat and then take a nap."

I got tickets to the Purdue game.  :)  People in my section will be fired up even if I have to sneak in booze for all of them!

I don't see why everybody is getting all whiny about the crowds...Nebraska fans are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to stupid crap like this.

We're a .500 team, there are no students.  Crowds for .500 teams over semester break SUCK!  Always have.

But, here's the deal.  EVERYBODY complains about their crowd lacking energy, or it's the crowd's fault we lost or some complete horse shut like that.  Even Kentucky fans have been whining lately about their crowds.

Our crowds are fine.  Gol-lee, give the whining a rest!

Gauging a crowd is difficult in my estimation. 

We tend to be sort of an artsy community here in Lincoln.  People put on their proper clothes, depending on the venue, leisurely appear at the venue, sit down and expect to be entertained.  One would think that given our hearty nature, that on occasion, we would appreciate the opportunity to participate in the event. Well, like in football, volleyball or any other Nebraska event (and yes, I am including Creighton folks) the only way to get full participation, is to provide a grandiose product that forces participation.  

The Iowa game provided that stimuli.  As did that two minute run prior to end of the half against Northwestern.  Otherwise, patrons were simply willing to sit back and be entertained.  Sort of like attending an event in Augusta. 

38 minutes ago, 49r said:

I don't see why everybody is getting all whiny about the crowds...Nebraska fans are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to stupid crap like this.

We're a .500 team, there are no students.  Crowds for .500 teams over semester break SUCK!  Always have.

But, here's the deal.  EVERYBODY complains about their crowd lacking energy, or it's the crowd's fault we lost or some complete horse shut like that.  Even Kentucky fans have been whining lately about their crowds.

Our crowds are fine.  Gol-lee, give the whining a rest!

Next time we should specify the amount of cheering required when we send out the 2 for 1 ticket Group-Ons

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

The Iowa game provided that stimuli.  As did that two minute run prior to end of the half against Northwestern.  Otherwise, patrons were simply willing to sit back and be entertained.  Sort of like attending an event in Augusta. 

Which I plan to do this year......I will report back!  B)