The crowd (Kent and Matt)

ajb5856

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Yeah it's too bad, too because that was our ONE CHANCE at national relevance.  Oh well...I guess we should just drop Men's Basketball and burn down PBA now.  Guys we had our chance, and totally blew it!  Nice try though.

Missed the point.  The point of the whole post was that despite the action on the court... there was plenty that the team has given everyone to "cheer" about.

Everyone knows that wasn't our only chance and I hint a lot of sarcasm in that post.  Heck... we were still in Joe L's next four out!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I disagree with those who say that it's the same way in other places.  Listen to some of these away games on the radio.  Not all of them, of course.  Some crowds are as dead as ours.  But we got out in front of Indiana and their crowd got into it and started the whole "DEE fense DEE fense" cheer.

I do agree with people who complain about the cheerleaders not leading cheers.  This is actually something I've been mentioning for years.  Not complaining about hot chicks in skimpy outfits.  They can go dance and look pretty during timeouts, during which time I'm usually engrossed in looking at the stats.  But, when the ball is in play, give me some dudes with megaphones exhorting the crowd to make some noise.

The piped in "STAND UP AND SHOOOUUUT" is next to worthless.  Someone has to start a cheer and keep it going.

What we NEVER hear anymore is the good old fashion "GO. BIG. RED. (clap) GO. BIG. RED. (clap) GO. BIG. RED. (clap)" which used to be, back in the days of the yell squad, something that people would join in even when the team was down.  We've lost that and need to bring it back.

Another one is the simple "DEE fense (clap clap) DEE fense (clap clap)." 

Once upon a time, cheerleaders would lead those cheers and we had a much more noisy environment.  IMO, it's going to have to start with cheerleaders getting the students to start a cheer that the geezers join in.  If you're waiting for my efforts to trickle down from the nosebleeds, I'm afraid you'll have to wait awhile.  Me standing up and waiving my arms to get everyone else on their feet and making noise doesn't seem to have the same effect as it did in Devaney because, up there in the dark, no one can see me.

Norm....100% in agreement here.  Honestly, I'd prefer that they either dump whoever it is that comes up with those stupid games that happen during time out...or tell them they need to focus LESS on those games and focus more on Game Play moments.  They need to team up with the Cheerleaders and maybe have the student section come in early and get the Go Big Red and the Dee Fense chants going.  Every time we are on the defensive end...I can hear the old Bob crowd chanting DEE FENSE!!...I can also hear on the Offensive end the alternative chant TWO POINTS!  Don't take this personally...but I also miss the Sit Down Norm chant.  lol...we don't have fun with the opposing coaches anymore.  Honestly...unless the students are yelling out profanities or running out on the court I have yet to see them do much that the Arena should be punishing them for.  This isn't a rock concert...they aren't out there in a mosh pit or smoking a joint.  

In hindsight, I wish we could have foreseen the need to be especially ruckus and rowdy for last Sunday's game, what with the team coming off an extremely physical and emotional game less than 72 hours prior.  I wish there could have been some sort of informal (or even formal) movement to get the message out to ticket holders before the game that we needed to be extra loud in order to lift them up and help them out, much in the same way No Sit Sunday came about. I can't remember what the impetus was for that, but I first learned about it here, and then later saw it through other social media outlets, as well as the LJS.  

35 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

we don't have fun with the opposing coaches anymore.  Honestly...unless the students are yelling out profanities or running out on the court I have yet to see them do much that the Arena should be punishing them for.

This went away when they moved away from the Bob that had front row seats for the students that were on the court and five feet away from the home and away benches.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Most of all... you... as a fan at the game... have something not all of us can have.  The chance to see every game live.  I would KILL for that chance.  To all of those that have season tickets... thank you, GBR, make the most of it!

This. It's so surreal when I have the opportunity to catch a live Nebrasketball game. 2016 was a good year for me as I was able to make it back to Nebraska for a game as well as a game on the road that was a road trip away. It gives me goosebumps being in the same arena as the team every time. I appreciate every opportunity I have to watch the team live and I make sure the team hears me support them throughout the game.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Missed the point.  The point of the whole post was that despite the action on the court... there was plenty that the team has given everyone to "cheer" about.

Everyone knows that wasn't our only chance and I hint a lot of sarcasm in that post.  Heck... we were still in Joe L's next four out!

I got the point crystal clear and I think it's off the mark by quite a ways.  Yes, my response was sarcasm.  I guess I don't agree with the whole "crowd wasn't into it" bit.  I and everyone around me was plenty into the game, and made plenty of noise.  My sore throat the next couple days is proof.  I thought the crowd provided ample motivation for the guys, I'm sure they felt it.  When Jack hit his first 3 I thought the roof might blow off the place, everyone was really happy to see him maybe get going, and felt the need to express it.

I've travelled to away games in lots of arenas, and I can tell you I don't think PBA is any more or less intimidating than any of them.  There was plenty of crowd noise at the end of the Northwestern game, and it didn't stop the Wildcats from draining any shot taken within the city limits...we, as a fan base, did not lose that game.  Sometimes, the visitor wins.

I get it.  Huskers lost.  First 3-0 start in 40 years we want the ride to continue.  But the wheel of fortune has to stop, it always does.  When it does, we spin again.

People need to find a reason to blame the loss on something, a way to rationalize something that we see as unpleasant.  But sometimes bad things happen to good people.  It's okay.  We can go back, try again and hope for the best.  But man, I am not on the bad crowd bandwagon.  Our fans are not why we lost.  This is just all part of the "hexing and vexing bullshit" that coach talked about in 2014.  I don't believe in it either.  You make plays, you get out played, that's sports and life.  Can't win 'em all.

Need any more platitudes?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I got the point crystal clear and I think it's off the mark by quite a ways.  Yes, my response was sarcasm.  I guess I don't agree with the whole "crowd wasn't into it" bit.  I and everyone around me was plenty into the game, and made plenty of noise.  My sore throat the next couple days is proof.  I thought the crowd provided ample motivation for the guys, I'm sure they felt it.  When Jack hit his first 3 I thought the roof might blow off the place, everyone was really happy to see him maybe get going, and felt the need to express it.

I've travelled to away games in lots of arenas, and I can tell you I don't think PBA is any more or less intimidating than any of them.  There was plenty of crowd noise at the end of the Northwestern game, and it didn't stop the Wildcats from draining any shot taken within the city limits...we, as a fan base, did not lose that game.  Sometimes, the visitor wins.

I get it.  Huskers lost.  First 3-0 start in 40 years we want the ride to continue.  But the wheel of fortune has to stop, it always does.  When it does, we spin again.

People need to find a reason to blame the loss on something, a way to rationalize something that we see as unpleasant.  But sometimes bad things happen to good people.  It's okay.  We can go back, try again and hope for the best.  But man, I am not on the bad crowd bandwagon.  Our fans are not why we lost.  This is just all part of the "hexing and vexing bullshit" that coach talked about in 2014.  I don't believe in it either.  You make plays, you get out played, that's sports and life.  Can't win 'em all.

I don't blame the loss on the crowd.  But I did think it was pretty lame, and mentioned that way before we lost.  Just thought that with the momentum and winning street, and capacity crowd, it could have been a lot louder and more consistent with making noise, standing, and helping with defense.  My thoughts on it have nothing to do with winning or losing the game, or spinning.  Just an opinion.  Maybe I shouldn't have gone to Allen Field house the last 3 years and watched what KU fans do even when they play bad teams and are up 30.   But even comparing to the mortals of college hoops, I think we can do better. 

3 minutes ago, HB said:

I don't blame the loss on the crowd.  But I did think it was pretty lame, and mentioned that way before we lost.  Just thought that with the momentum and winning street, and capacity crowd, it could have been a lot louder and more consistent with making noise, standing, and helping with defense.  My thoughts on it have nothing to do with winning or losing the game, or spinning.  Just an opinion.  Maybe I shouldn't have gone to Allen Field house the last 3 years and watched what KU fans do even when they play bad teams and are up 30.   But even comparing to the mortals of college hoops, I think we can do better. 

When we're 15-1, ranked #2 in the country, and face value of 100-level tickets are $120 per seat per game, then I suppose you could be justified in comparing fan enthusiasm with KU, sure.  Until then, it's a tad unfair IMO.

Been to a lot of other places as well.  When the radio broadcaster points it out, and many people call PBA The Library,  there may be something to it.  I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand, but I respect your opinion.   And just FWIW, I would  think those paying $120 a ticket would be less stand up, young, and noisy then a lot of crowds.  At least that used to be the theory when the B section at Devaney sat on their hands all game. 

Anyway, I can't be blamed.  I was 3 beers in by 1:00 p.m. Sunday.  B)

I used to think Devaney was like a morgue a lot of the time but I think PBA is even worse.  I'll say it again:  Back when we had a yell squad and the cheerleaders were actually leading cheers, Devaney would get quite a bit louder than PBA.

The University killed the "HUSKER POWER" chant we used to do during opposing team intros.  When that first started, the place would rock and it would set a tone.  Then, Jean had to complain and the admin stopped supporting it and actively tried to suppress it and now you get a placid, mellow, Xanax-induced yawn from most folks, not only during the player intros but nearly all game long. 

And, I'm sorry, I don't care what anyone else says, but it makes a difference.  The crowd absolutely can influence the outcome of a game.  That's why home teams win more often than not.  I think they influence officials.  I think they distract opposing players.  It's hard to communicate in a loud environment and the noise level raises your stress level and increases the affect of nervousness, which has a deleterious effect on athletic performance.

Crowd noise influences momentum.  Crowd noise inspires confidence in the home team's players.  Crowd noise disrupts the opponent's mental concentration and tends to produce more errors and mistakes than they would otherwise make.

Yeah, we might have lost anyway.  But I agree with Matt and Kent:  our crowd effort was embarrassing most of the game.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I used to think Devaney was like a morgue a lot of the time but I think PBA is even worse.  I'll say it again:  Back when we had a yell squad and the cheerleaders were actually leading cheers, Devaney would get quite a bit louder than PBA.

FWIW I do occasionally hear the cheerleaders chant, like "Defense" <clap, clap>.  But not for long, and just barely from my perch in 306.  Haven't seen these in awhile.  They should bring them back. 

a5efa878ebd2b9ce3b9bdd55bae60b43.jpg

Edited by hal9000

2 hours ago, 49r said:

I will 100 percent agree with you that the crowd did not and cannot lose a game for a team.  I do not even think that the Nebraska crowd is a bad crowd or fan base in general.

I have no doubt that you yelled and that is awesome.  Good for you and I am happy to see that!  I want more of that from everyone.  I was providing points as to why some felt that there was not anything to cheer about on Sunday or in any game in general.  For that I guess we will agree to disagree.

I respect your opinion, but will respectfully disagree that I "missed the mark" by quite a ways.

Edited by hskr4life

Uhhhh, am I hallucinating?  Or haven't we been doing the "HUSKER POWER" during player intros for a while now this season?  I mean, the cheerleaders are holding up cards that spell H-U-S-K-E-R on one side and P-O-W-E-R on the other...

They also turn on a spotlight on the floor and the north wall that says "HUSKER" and then switches to "POWER"...

I have even heard fans on one side yell "HUSKER" and then on the other side "POWER"...

I could have sworn I've been yelling "POWER" a few times during player intros myself.  Seems to be approved fan behavior now.  I could be wrong though.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

Uhhhh, am I hallucinating?  Or haven't we been doing the "HUSKER POWER" during player intros for a while now this season?  I mean, the cheerleaders are holding up cards that spell H-U-S-K-E-R on one side and P-O-W-E-R on the other...

They also turn on a spotlight on the floor and the north wall that says "HUSKER" and then switches to "POWER"...

I have even heard fans on one side yell "HUSKER" and then on the other side "POWER"...

I could have sworn I've been yelling "POWER" a few times during player intros myself.  Seems to be approved fan behavior now.  I could be wrong though.

No, you're correct, we've been doing the "HUSKER POWER" chant during player intros this season.

Well, actually, it's been more like "huskmmph owmph " most of the time this season. 

Used to be, we could drown out the PA announcer and nobody could hear the names of the opposing team's players.  But the "Powers That Be" stopped supporting it sometime during last season and it just hasn't caught back on the way it did to begin with and it no longer has that intimidating noise level to it.  Which pisses me clear off.  I'm glad the U seems to have finally caught on that our "HUSKER POWER" chant was good for the home-crowd mojo, but they damn near killed it and now they realize they have to resurrect it so that Inigo and Fezzik can storm the castle.

I get the sense it's going to be a challenge getting the crowd to re-embrace that chant the way they first did. 

Thanks, Marc and Shawn.  You cheap bastards.

16 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

No, you're correct, we've been doing the "HUSKER POWER" chant during player intros this season.

Well, actually, it's been more like "huskmmph owmph " most of the time this season. 

Used to be, we could drown out the PA announcer and nobody could hear the names of the opposing team's players.  But the "Powers That Be" stopped supporting it sometime during last season and it just hasn't caught back on the way it did to begin with and it no longer has that intimidating noise level to it.  Which pisses me clear off.  I'm glad the U seems to have finally caught on that our "HUSKER POWER" chant was good for the home-crowd mojo, but they damn near killed it and now they realize they have to resurrect it so that Inigo and Fezzik can storm the castle.

I get the sense it's going to be a challenge getting the crowd to re-embrace that chant the way they first did. 

Thanks, Marc and Shawn.  You cheap bastards.

Ok, I have to ask how the University stopped the fans from do the Husker Power chant?  They don't have any control over the fans or students who are free to chant or yell whatever they want during opposing team introduction.  Me personally, I'd rather see us do better with our player intro video and when teams comes on the court.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Ok, I have to ask how the University stopped the fans from do the Husker Power chant?  They don't have any control over the fans or students who are free to chant or yell whatever they want during opposing team introduction.  Me personally, I'd rather see us do better with our player intro video and when teams comes on the court.

I agree! The games I've been to this year, we have been still doing the Husker Power chant. I wanna say that during the Creighton game, I couldn't even hear their players' names. In regards to the intro/starting lineup video, we should go back to the 13/14 video when we went to the dance. We used "My Songs Know...Light Em Up" by Fallout Boy. That piano intro was legit. And when the song said "light Em up", the arena flashed with flames from the video. We really had something great with intros using that set up. Not sure why we went away from it.