BOOM (Copeland has decided)

ajb5856

20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I like Taylor more than the next guy but he's not a 2 guard and shouldn't start there. ATM to me he's our backup PG next year and best case is that he comes in to give Watson breathers and/or because of foul trouble. Whoever is the better shooter/scorer between Palmer/Gill should be your starter at 2.

Don't forget Akenten.  6'6" and was shooting .500 from 3 last time I checked.  Super athletic too.  

16 hours ago, 49r said:

By the way this is the thread starting where he commits to Nebraska.  If you go back and read from the beginning you'll see lots of sour grapes and good riddances, particularly lots of talk about being physically soft and weak, and not much "want to".  He's lazy on defense, makes poor decisions on offense.  Basically a huge bust for them.

In other words, for them he's basically Andrew White.  What does it mean?  I don't know.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

In other words, for them he's basically Andrew White.  What does it mean?  I don't know.

AW3 makes shots, they already had his playing time allocated, and it's not like they're going to be hate watching Nebraska next year. The comparison doesn't really hold up much.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

These are the two takeaways I have. He took a lot more shots his 2nd year and his shooting percentage dipped. If you use FT numbers as an indication of shooting ability, you probably are a lot more optimistic here than you are about Anton Gill ever becoming a knock down shooter. Hard to find a body type to compare him to here...uh...taller Toney McCray?

At his best I see him as a motivated Walt P, a guy capable of shooting from anywhere on the court and playing good enough interior defense. 

At his worst he's an unmotivated Walt P, a guy capable of missing a lot of outside shots and just drifting around everywhere else.

1 hour ago, Jugular said:

Didn't he have 13 rebounds earlier this year vs Maryland? Must be a decent rebounder 

His rebounding numbers are so-so. However I think he was around a lot of tall dudes who are better rebounders/tasked to rebound so it's hard to tell.

Hayes, Govan, and Derrickson were three 250#+ dudes who had better rebounding % numbers than Copeland.

I keep on reading people saying that if he doesn't get the waiver, Copeland won't be eligible until next January.

Actually, I do not believe this is correct.  I think he would be eligible, at the latest, immediately after commencement exercises for the fall semester, which will occur on Saturday, December 17, 2017, rather than when the spring semester starts on January 8 2018.  That makes a difference of about 6 games based on this year's schedule.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I keep on reading people saying that if he doesn't get the waiver, Copeland won't be eligible until next January.

Actually, I do not believe this is correct.  I think he would be eligible, at the latest, immediately after commencement exercises for the fall semester, which will occur on Saturday, December 17, 2017, rather than when the spring semester starts on January 8 2018.  That makes a difference of about 6 games based on this year's schedule.

Correct, eligibility starts when the first semester is over.

I see Copeland as essentially a bonus player and will not worry too much about what he's able to contribute next year. I feel strongly that the team doesn't need him and won't be dependent on him to any great extent, but a strong contribution would obviously be very beneficial.

A Copeland-type player would have been very valuable against the way Northwestern was playing our screen and roll. When you have a pick and pop guy, it is difficult for the guy defending the post screener to help out on the dribbler, as he needs to be aware of the possibility of the screener popping out and hoisting up a 3 (i.e. something Walter P. did very well on our run three years ago). Wragge did that, and now Huff, for Creighton. We don't really have that threat right now. It would be a great asset to have that in our arsenal. 

Edited by Coaches kid

59 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I see Copeland as essentially a bonus player and will not worry too much about what he's able to contribute next year. I feel strongly that the team doesn't need him and won't be dependent on him to any great extent, but a strong contribution would obviously be very beneficial.

True, we should be pretty salty just with the returning guys.

HOWEVER ...

If (big IF) Copeland is as good as his star rating would suggest (assumes his stats this year were influenced by his back issues) then just stick him in the starting lineup wherever and assume he'll be our best guy.

He's not going to supplant Glynn the Wizard Watson at point.  And we have 3-4 options as SG.  Copeland could be a 3 or a 4.  Based on what I've seen this year, you probably still want Ed on the floor.  And I still want Jeriah, Jordy and Isaiah to get minutes.  Question is which other guards see the floor. 

But Copeland, if he's what we think he might be, instantly makes this a better team.

I am hopeful that Roby plays a much bigger role as the year progresses, and especially next year. He can do so many things, and it's just a matter of building confidence and getting physically stronger. You can plug him in anywhere from the 2 through 4 positions, and he could even be a point forward depending on the lineup. If that happens, I doubt we'll see him leave the floor very often.

1 minute ago, Coaches kid said:

I am hopeful that Roby plays a much bigger role as the year progresses, and especially next year. He can do so many things, and it's just a matter of building confidence and getting physically stronger. You can plug him in anywhere from the 1 through 4 positions, and he could even be a point forward depending on the lineup. If that happens, I doubt we'll see him leave the floor very often.

FIFY

I'd like to see Isaiah shooting the deep ball at least at a 38% clip or better.  He needs to be at least a solid threat from outside to go along with his ability to dribble drive with either hand.  And being able to hit the mid-range jumper from the high post would be nice as well.

If a 5-star says he wants to be on your team, especially a program like Nebraska.  You say thank you, may I have another! :)

I wouldn't worry about Georgetown fan's.  He'll be fine, he'll learn what GATA stands for and be a great player for us.  Sometimes a change of scenery is all a kid needs.  Happens in baseball all the time.  Welcome to Lincoln Isaac! 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

True, we should be pretty salty just with the returning guys.

HOWEVER ...

If (big IF) Copeland is as good as his star rating would suggest (assumes his stats this year were influenced by his back issues) then just stick him in the starting lineup wherever and assume he'll be our best guy.

He's not going to supplant Glynn the Wizard Watson at point.  And we have 3-4 options as SG.  Copeland could be a 3 or a 4.  Based on what I've seen this year, you probably still want Ed on the floor.  And I still want Jeriah, Jordy and Isaiah to get minutes.  Question is which other guards see the floor. 

But Copeland, if he's what we think he might be, instantly makes this a better team.

Sure, if Copeland suddenly emerged as the type of player he was projected to be coming out of Brewster (top-25 nationally), then of course he'd start or at least play heavy minutes. The thing is that the player he was in high school never materialized with any consistency at Georgetown. He had a very respectable freshman season, but he's neither a true PF nor a true wing from the standpoint of being able to guard threes, and if his shot isn't hitting with consistency, minutes will be difficult to justify, because there will be a number of other options on the roster.

Georgetown fans talk about Copeland "losing his shot." Hopefully he can find it again, because he's not a big-time rebounder or defender, and he doesn't seem like a big dribble-drive guy, despite showing off-the-charts athleticism in high school. He seems like a player who will have to make a living mostly as a shooter.

We're going to see a level of depth on the team next year that we haven't seen in a long, long time. This is obviously a good problem to have. I just feel that Copeland is going to have to become a lot more consistent in everything he does to see substantial minutes, and if his defense is lacking, knowing this staff, his ass will be firmly planted on the bench.

I'm very happy to have him, just because I feel he's worth the risk and likely superior to others we might be able to find so late in the recruiting season.

23 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Sure, if Copeland suddenly emerged as the type of player he was projected to be coming out of Brewster (top-25 nationally), then of course he'd start or at least play heavy minutes. The thing is that the player he was in high school never materialized with any consistency at Georgetown. He had a very respectable freshman season, but he's neither a true PF nor a true wing from the standpoint of being able to guard threes, and if his shot isn't hitting with consistency, minutes will be difficult to justify, because there will be a number of other options on the roster.

Georgetown fans talk about Copeland "losing his shot." Hopefully he can find it again, because he's not a big-time rebounder or defender, and he doesn't seem like a big dribble-drive guy, despite showing off-the-charts athleticism in high school. He seems like a player who will have to make a living mostly as a shooter.

We're going to see a level of depth on the team next year that we haven't seen in a long, long time. This is obviously a good problem to have. I just feel that Copeland is going to have to become a lot more consistent in everything he does to see substantial minutes, and if his defense is lacking, knowing this staff, his ass will be firmly planted on the bench.

I'm very happy to have him, just because I feel he's worth the risk and likely superior to others we might be able to find so late in the recruiting season.

He actually had a very respectable FR and SO seasons.  This year was his JR year and he struggled shooting. But his FR year he averaged 6.8 and 3.8 for the season. But digging deeper, if you look at his last 18 games he averaged 9.3 and 5.6.  There were some impressive games in that stretch:  17 & 6 vs #4 Villanova, 17 & 6 vs Marquette and 20 & 8 vs Seton Hall.

Last year, his SO year he averaged 11.1 & 5.4.  He again had some big games:  32 & 8 vs Marquette, 21 & 6 vs #5 Duke, 13, 6 & 5 vs #3 Maryland, 6 & 13 vs #3 Nova, 17 & 5 vs Butler.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

If you read some of the interviews with Copeland, Miles has a vision for what he can do and how he can help that is different from what JTIII was doing with him.  Reminds me of the comments Miles made about Terran Petteway and keeping in contact with recruits who went elsewhere to places he didn't think would match their skill sets.  If Copeland has even half the turnaround Petteway had, we'll be doing backflips from the PBA balconies.  I'm not inclined to be as pessimistic about this news as some people are.

39 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If you read some of the interviews with Copeland, Miles has a vision for what he can do and how he can help that is different from what JTIII was doing with him.  Reminds me of the comments Miles made about Terran Petteway and keeping in contact with recruits who went elsewhere to places he didn't think would match their skill sets.  If Copeland has even half the turnaround Petteway had, we'll be doing backflips from the PBA balconies.  I'm not inclined to be as pessimistic about this news as some people are.

I believe Miles' use of analytics to talk with Copeland about his game was a big factor in Copeland choosing NU. Someone here posted a link to a Hoya board that spent a fair bit of time lamenting the fact that they didn't use those tools to help develop a player. Copeland seemed to be quite thrilled that Miles and crew KNEW his game and KNEW how to help it get better.

A second thought comes to mind. AWIII did not believe NU was a place that could advance his NBA aspirations. Perhaps Copeland is seeing just the opposite. I have long thought that a really talented player should see Nebraska as a great opportunity to elevate a program that has struggled to win and thereby establish himself as a player to be taken seriously at the next level. Example: Larry Bird might have had a very good career at a place like Indiana but he put himself on the map by playing at Indiana State. I am not saying Copeland is the next Larry Bird but this could be a real career maker for him if he is able to play up to the hype he had coming out of high school.

Edited by KZRider

10 hours ago, KZRider said:

I believe Miles' use of analytics to talk with Copeland about his game was a big factor in Copeland choosing NU. Someone here posted a link to a Hoya board that spent a fair bit of time lamenting the fact that they didn't use those tools to help develop a player. Copeland seemed to be quite thrilled that Miles and crew KNEW his game and KNEW how to help it get better.

A second thought comes to mind. AWIII did not believe NU was a place that could advance his NBA aspirations. Perhaps Copeland is seeing just the opposite. I have long thought that a really talented player should see Nebraska as a great opportunity to elevate a program that has struggled to win and thereby establish himself as a player to be taken seriously at the next level. Example: Larry Bird might have had a very good career at a place like Indiana but he put himself on the map by playing at Indiana State. I am not saying Copeland is the next Larry Bird but this could be a real career maker for him if he is able to play up to the hype he had coming out of high school.

Actually, Larry Bird started out at Indiana.  I remember reading an interview with Bird where he explained why he left IU and transferred to Indiana State and the reason would probably surprise a lot of people.  The interviewer assumed he didn't like or get along with Bobby Knight or couldn't handle Knight's assumed abusive behavior towards his players and that's why he transferred.

Bird was like, actually, no.  He liked Knight, thought he could have played for Knight.  The problem was he was this hick from this tiny town in Indiana who owned one pair of jeans, and his college roommate was this urbane city kid who had all kinds of clothes and Bird was intimidated by it and just didn't feel like he fit in.

So he transferred.  To a place he felt he'd be more comfortable.  And the rest ...