Traveling

Since we are talking about referees, the thing that drives me mad is that refs have no clue what a flop is and how to call it.  These guys watch and ref games for a living.  It is their livelihood, yet they repeatedly are clueless on the games (and acting) that the players play and they fall for it time and time and time again.  Basically, if a player falls down, the refs almost always blow their whistle, and 90% of the time the guy that falls down gets the benefit of the call.  It has become absurd.  Now, shooters fall down after every shot.  Defensive players fall down (or fling their head back) when running around a screen.  Offensive players throw their head back if the defender grazes their hip (as if touching your hip makes your head violently sling your head back!?).  Certain players do this much more than others, and those that do have their "regular" go to flops game after game after game.  Yet the refs are clueless.  They fall for it every stinkin time.  If I was a ref, the rule would be simple.  If you fall down I am not only not going to give you the benefit of the doubt, I am going to assume you flopped unless the contact leading to the fall was so clear and egregious and convincing as to prove that assumption wrong.  If all refs did this all the flopping would go away real quick.  Why is this so complicated?  Frankly it is shocking to me that refs can't figure this out and how can it not make one question their competency?

Edited by NUdiehard

2 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Since we are talking about referees, the thing that drives me mad is that refs have no clue what a flop is and how to call it.  These guys watch and ref games for a living.  It is their livelihood, yet they repeatedly are clueless on the games (and acting) that the players play and they fall for it time and time and time again.  Basically, if a player falls down, the refs almost always blow their whistle, and 90% of the time the guy that falls down gets the benefit of the call.  It has become absurd.  Now, shooters fall down after every shot.  Defensive players fall down (or fling their head back) when running around a screen.  Offensive players throw their head back if the defender grazes their hip (as if touching your hip makes your head violently sling your head back!?).  Certain players do this much more than others, and those that do have their "regular" go to flops game after game after game.  Yet the refs are clueless.  They fall for it every stinkin time.  If I was a ref, the rule would be simple.  If you fall down I am not only not going to give you the benefit of the doubt, I am going to assume you flopped unless the contact leading to the fall was so clear and egregious and convincing as to prove that assumption wrong.  If all refs did this all the flopping would go away real quick.  Why is this so complicated?  Frankly it is shocking to me that refs can't figure this out and how can it not make one question their competency?

When I was younger and sat way closer and yelled more I once yelled at a guy if his girlfriend goes down that easy, and if she did could I get her number?

Just now, brfrad said:

I agree.  Watching it live I thought it was a travel.  Watching on replay, confirms it was a travel.

Outside of a few travels not being called, I was actually OK with the refs yesterday. 

Yeah, I'd generally agree with that sentiment. That one in particular backed up the discussions from last week on pivot foot re-positioning.

7 hours ago, brfrad said:

It is a travel because he establishes his left foot as the pivot foot, then lifts that foot in the air before releasing the ball.

It's not a travel until the pivot foot comes back down, making that a legal move. It's the same step through you see in the post, just farther out on the floor. You get the step and a half from anywhere on the court.