Traveling

If this is a repeat of some other post, then I apologize.

I've been thinking this for a while, but last night brought it full circle:   Am I out of line thinking that the amount of traveling that is allowed in college basketball is becoming maddening?  And, if it is, should it be one of the officials little pet projects to focus on at the start of a subsequent season?

I 100% agree. I'm getting so sick of it. 

The problem is how athletic and fast everyone is. Pretty tough to call a generic three step travel when you consider how fast they're moving and the gray area during the "gather" of the dribble. 

But I think it can be called on the catch better, and while pivot foots are being utilized. 

The issue I see is in the gather...when i was taught a jump stop, you had to have both feet in the air to allow to have a pivot foot when you landed...the rule is still the same.

Rule:

1. when both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
    1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
    2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;
    3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.

If you gather with one foot on the ground, that is the pivot foot unless they jump off that foot and land simultaneously on both feet...but then they cannot pivot from that position.

Rule:

1. When one foot is on the playing court:
    1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
    2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both; neither foot can then be the pivot foot.

The Euro Step when done correctly is legal...but so many players gather the ball with one foot on the ground and when they land, they take a step (which should not be allowed because they are not allowed a pivot foot if they gather and jump off one foot. (when they gather with one foot on the ground, and land they should only be allowed to jump off both feet to shoot or pass. (which would limit the ground they can cover....

If they gather while both feet are off the ground, and land simultaneously on both feet they are allowed the pivot (basically another step and half since the second foot can not go back to the ground before a shot)

21 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I 100% agree. I'm getting so sick of it. 

The problem is how athletic and fast everyone is. Pretty tough to call a generic three step travel when you consider how fast they're moving and the gray area during the "gather" of the dribble. 

But I think it can be called on the catch better, and while pivot foots are being utilized. 

I think that's a really good point about how fast the game is now with regard to traveling.  I'm also in agreement that, at very least, switching of the pivot foot should be better enforced.

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the way the game is officiated now.   I don't want to see a bunch of games with scores in the low 50's.  So with players currently allowed more freedom of movement on offense, and less contact on defense, I feel like the game of college basketball overall has gotten more entertaining.  To each their own, I guess.

A wise coach once told me that if it ain't called, it didn't happen. 

The issue I have and always will have is the inconsistency of this, and other calls.  It can be any sport or any call.  My expectation is that it is consistent for both teams and at any part of the game.

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the way the game is officiated now.   I don't want to see a bunch of games with scores in the low 50's.  So with players currently allowed more freedom of movement on offense, and less contact on defense, I feel like the game of college basketball overall has gotten more entertaining.  To each their own, I guess.

I understand your point of view...but if you keep stretching the rules...the most talented player has a huge advantage.

I like it when the most skilled talented players have the advantage..those that work on their game...

Calling Travelling rewards Basketball Skills.

25 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Freedom of movement is one thing. The changing of pivot feet is entirely another...

1 hour ago, rwmctrofholz said:

If this is a repeat of some other post, then I apologize.

I've been thinking this for a while, but last night brought it full circle:   Am I out of line thinking that the amount of traveling that is allowed in college basketball is becoming maddening?  And, if it is, should it be one of the officials little pet projects to focus on at the start of a subsequent season?

Kansas State and it's fans agree.  

I am to the point with traveling that I am with holding in football, given how little it is called it is more maddening when they do call it.  Not sure why some of the rules of basketball are still in the rule book.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm in the same minority.  Generally, I agree with every call the refs make (even if they're against us), and am amazed that they can catch as much as they do in real time.  It's a REALLY difficult job.

But that Svi travel at the end of the KU - KSU game tuesday was outrageous!

I remember getting on the the City Campus bus one day my senior year, and Alonzo Edwards was the only other guy on it.  Apparently he had been on the bus for a while, bc the bus driver turns to him and says "aren't you getting off?  This is the last stop."  Zo responds "Nah man.  I'm just here for the ride."  Ironically, that summed up his basketball career pretty well, too.

Speaking of traveling, did anyone else notice that when Bohannon from Iowa would inbound on BLOB's that he would travel everytime? He was moving he feet all over the place, he'd either shuffle them or slide one them trying to get the ball in. Sorry to change the subject, but that bothered me the entire night.

18 hours ago, Swan Ronson said:

Speaking of traveling, did anyone else notice that when Bohannon from Iowa would inbound on BLOB's that he would travel everytime? He was moving he feet all over the place, he'd either shuffle them or slide one them trying to get the ball in. Sorry to change the subject, but that bothered me the entire night.

The traveling rule does not apply out of bounds. You cannot "run" like you can after a made basket and you have limited movement, you have to stay in roughly the area they hand you the ball, but you do not have a pivot foot and what he did was legal. 

Edited by Dean Smith

Ironically, traveling rules were supposed to be tightened this year:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketballs-5-biggest-rule-changes-this-season-things-to-know/

But like when the freedom of movement rules were initially changed, the refs called it tighter for a few weeks and then reverted to their old ways. 

10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

The traveling rule does not apply out of bounds. You cannot "run" like you can after a mad basket and you have limited movement, you have to stay in roughly the area they hand you the ball, but you do not have a pivot foot and what he did was legal. 

I was not aware of that. Thanks Dean!