Crowd at Iowa game

PimpMario

We did a decent job of showing up for the Iowa game, not quite packed but close. (Although there were a suspicious number of Iowa fans in the student section behind the benches?!).

But we were terrible most of the game.

It seemed like the crowd didn't have any hope and was waiting for us to $*!* the bed.

We didn't really get loud until the end of the game and then got shellshocked in the first overtime.

I couldn't help but be reminded of the conversation we used to have about whether loud passionate fans can help the team or if the team is responsible for getting the fans into it.

Hopefully we can start believing and show up with some energy for the start of the northwestern game.

Fans can definitely have an impact on the game.

This is a different sport so it's not a level comparison but I remember seeing an interview with Brad Kaaya  (Miami QB) about when they played in Lincoln a few years back. He said the stadium was so loud his face mask was rattling and that he couldn't hear what his O Line was saying to him in the huddle.

I think you can have the same kind of impact in basketball. Especially if we keep winning.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...for what it's worth..not having a yell squad impacts a lot of it. Heck the cheerleaders would do more than dance it might help.  I was watching the Indiana game and when we would go shoot..the cheer leaders would be standing up on on the end of the court shaking their Indiana signs..not that it's a distraction, but it's a hell of a lot more than standing over behind the PA announcers table by the students.  When we had a yell squad..the guy would do their yells and the crowd would join in...they would bang on their megaphones and the crowd would clap...they'd stomp their feet and the crowd would follow.  The cheerleaders and dance squad don't do much more than the occasional Husker Power chant.  Hell we don't even take a key from KU and once the game gets to a point of being a win do the Husker Power Chant then.  I mean KU does their very slow...almost haunting ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK chant once the game is pretty much in hand.  Not saying we need to do what other schools are doing, but there's just not the energy that you see from our team's fans.  They get loud but it's not consistent. 

Edited by Nighthawk

7 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...for what it's worth..not having a yell squad impacts a lot of it.

They get loud but it's not consistent. 

Completely agree.

After that cheerleader got dropped they stopped throwing people up into the air. With no one to throw up in the air, no need for a bunch of dudes with megaphones.

We can't do the basketball 101 cheering stuff like chanting N-U! N-U!  We also basically have no tradition so it's not like the crowd just knows what to do. Isn't it funny that with all these videos and shirts they shoot into the crowd that we can't figure out how to do the easy stuff?

Seemed like the crowd was into it when NU made run at beginning of 2nd half only to go dead after the run ended on Iowa timeout. And then they got back into it after Watson hit a deep 3 right after Jok made one. The overtimes were very back and forth momentumwise. Hell, I threw my coat down about a half dozen times thinking we were beat/thinking we had it won.

Seemed like the crowd was into it when NU made run at beginning of 2nd half only to go dead after the run ended on Iowa timeout. And then they got back into it after Watson hit a deep 3 right after Jok made one. The overtimes were very back and forth momentumwise. Hell, I threw my coat down about a half dozen times thinking we were beat/thinking we had it won.

We had some serious momentum problems in the second half.

2 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I thought those student seats were first come first serve so I was surprised they were on the first row.

Might have been, but they where already there when we got there last night and I think I was in my seat at 7:10.

But I think the winter student out package may have numbered seats and then they would have bought them just for those seats.

I will disagree to a certain extent.  It is hard for any crowd to be amped the entire 50 minutes of a double OT game.  Granted, at times the crowd was passive, but overall I thought the fans brought it last night.  At certain points you couldn't hear the whistles, and I definitely did not hear the buzzer at the end of the game.  I also visited today with a friend who watched it on TV, and he thought the crowd was really into it.  If you factor in that few if any students were at the game, I would rate the crowd at least a B+.

As to the student seats, it was explained to me that the individual seats were up for sale.  It was assigned seating.  Don't take that as gospel, but that is the story I heard. 

As to the student seats, it was explained to me that the individual seats were up for sale.  It was assigned seating.  Don't take that as gospel, but that is the story I heard. 

You would think that if they sold individual seats they wouldn't want to give Iowa fans the best seats in the house.

37 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Spot on.  Crowd was pretty exhausted at that point.  It is my belief that we would have lost had that shot not gone down.

Crowd was so exhausted, in fact, that I didn't hear anyone say much when the ref effectively threw the tip off of the first OT to the Iowa guy.  

21 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I thought those student seats were first come first serve so I was surprised they were on the first row.

They sell individual tickets during winter break.

12 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

You would think that if they sold individual seats they wouldn't want to give Iowa fans the best seats in the house.

The website that sells tickets doesn't care where you are from

Might have been, but they where already there when we got there last night and I think I was in my seat at 7:10.

But I think the winter student out package may have numbered seats and then they would have bought them just for those seats.

They were in those seats when we got there at 6 40ish

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk