Crowd at Iowa game

PimpMario

I wonder if missing all those FTs may have had a deflationary effect.  Thinking back to our 2013/14 run to the tournament, it seems to me that the team really started igniting with the stellar FT shooting; We just couldn't miss!  I remember one game where we made what, 11, 12, or more straight FTs, without which we would have lost the game.  It seems we just couldn't wait to get another foul on us and back to the line.

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

I am sad that that sentiment exists. It is really depressing to think we will never have an atmosphere like that again.

emoji24.png

I would guess that I have been at 90% of the NU home games over the last 40 years.   That would be somewhere north of 600 games.   No doubt in my mind that the atmosphere at that no-sit Sunday Wisconsin game was the best we have ever had.   In fact I can only think of one other game that would even come close (the NIT game that sent us to the NIT Final Four in the early 80's - when Dave Hoppen was a freshman - back when the NIT meant something because the NCAA field was much smaller). 

That Wisconsin game was sort of a perfect storm - Final home game of the year, new arena (2nd season), team on a roll, top 10 opponent, hugely important game for NCAA qualification for a team that had not been to the NCAA In over a decade.   You are not going to have those things all come together very often anywhere.  So not depressing to me at all to think we probably can't ever match that atmosphere again.

2 minutes ago, Red Don said:

I wonder if missing all those FTs may have had a deflationary effect.  Thinking back to our 2013/14 run to the tournament, it seems to me that the team really started igniting with the stellar FT shooting; We just couldn't miss!  I remember one game where we made what, 11, 12, or more straight FTs, without which we would have lost the game.  It seems we just couldn't wait to get another foul on us and back to the line.

I suppose if you get 14 steals in a game there's a little wiggle room with missed opportunities. Not to deviate from your point on FTs... but man, 38 steals in 3 games? THIRTY EIGHT!

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I suppose if you get 14 steals in a game there's a little wiggle room with missed opportunities. Not to deviate from your point on FTs... but man, 38 steals in 3 games? THIRTY EIGHT!

Yes:Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

:Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:
Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

I am sad that that sentiment exists. It is really depressing to think we will never have an atmosphere like that again.

emoji24.png

Right?

I'd like to think we can make it a regular thing.  It just takes winning.

That day was special for sure, partially because of the near perfect weather, but I've been to games at the Bob and Pinnacle for 30 years and (especially back in the Nee era) it wasn't all that rare to see the place get pretty lit.  Heck, I expect Sunday to be a pretty rowdy day.

6 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

That Wisconsin game was sort of a perfect storm - Final home game of the year, new arena (2nd season), team on a roll, top 10 opponent, hugely important game for NCAA qualification for a team that had not been to the NCAA In over a decade.   You are not going to have those things all come together very often anywhere.  So not depressing to me at all to think we probably can't ever match that atmosphere again.

Roll into that last home game vs Michigan with 10-11 conference wins and you'll have No Sit Sunday II

7 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Roll into that last home game vs Michigan with 10-11 conference wins and you'll have No Sit Sunday II

Doesn't quite match all the criteria - but pretty darn close :).   Sure hope that happens because that would be a lot of fun.  I am certainly not saying that we won't have games with great atmosphere going forward.  We definitely can and I am confident that we will.  Just pointing out how high a bar that Wisconsin game sets.  I said that day I would probably never experience a game atmosphere like that again - and still think that is probably true (although I guess I hope I am wrong :) )

I kind of think part of what made that Wisconsin game so incredible was the "can we really do this? it's been SO long" feeling that went with it. We were making history. There was an excitement that this could FINALLY be the year we break the almost-20-year curse.

So to that degree, I hope at least that part is something we don't experience again, if it means waiting another 15 years to have a game with that kind of hope associated with it.

Back to lurkdom...

6 hours ago, Red Don said:

Good -- and bad -- FT shooting can definitely be contagious.  It can be tough to settle your nerves when you've just watched your teammate fire up a brick with the game on the line.  Unless of course you're Glynn Watson.  He should change his number to -1 because the blood in that man's veins is SUB-ZERO!

Maybe some of it was to blame on the up-and-down game...we were looking a little exhausted at times and I suppose muscle memory may start to decay with fatigue.  But I feel like FT shooting is 90% mental, and we do have a young team.  This pressure is such good experience for them, closing-out these tight games.  It can only benefit us down the line.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Completely agree.

After that cheerleader got dropped they stopped throwing people up into the air. With no one to throw up in the air, no need for a bunch of dudes with megaphones.

We can't do the basketball 101 cheering stuff like chanting N-U! N-U!  We also basically have no tradition so it's not like the crowd just knows what to do. Isn't it funny that with all these videos and shirts they shoot into the crowd that we can't figure out how to do the easy stuff?

Partially agree.  I never felt that the cheer squad chanting did much.  The chants were always pretty lame and only a small percentage of the crowd chanted along in unison.  "Defense-Huskers-Defense" with a couple megaphone taps at the end for good measure isn't going to be nearly as effective as the din of people screaming at the tops of their lungs.

That said, the University is completely clueless on this matter.  I can remember when I was a student, their representatives came out before tip a couple times to suggest some extra lame new cheers.  I think if you want something sustainable, it needs to be somewhat organic.  The best place for that to start is in the student section, but their turnover can make it difficult for new traditions to take hold.

I've told other Husker fans before that we need something like Sam's Army.  For those of you who aren't very sports woke, this is the fan support group for the US soccer team.  They have a charter with guidelines for their members, and they post videos on their blog showcasing the chants that will be implemented at each match.  I don't know why we can't have something similar to this?  I can't tell you how many times I've thought about registering tims-army.com.  Would you enlist if I did?

8 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

They sell individual tickets during winter break.

The website that sells tickets doesn't care where you are from

Why can't/doesn't the ticket sales office limit the sale of the sideline student ticket to current ticket holders, NU donors and/or season ticket holders in any sport?

Or whatever logical filter they can dream up, especially with idiot out wandering about on the schedule.

11 minutes ago, trickey said:

Why can't/doesn't the ticket sales office limit the sale of the sideline student ticket to current ticket holders, NU donors and/or season ticket holders in any sport?

Or whatever logical filter they can dream up, especially with idiot out wandering about on the schedule.

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEEEEEEEYYYYYY.

11 hours ago, trickey said:

At what point do you not want the U to eat the money?

21 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Partially agree.  I never felt that the cheer squad chanting did much.  The chants were always pretty lame and only a small percentage of the crowd chanted along in unison.  "Defense-Huskers-Defense" with a couple megaphone taps at the end for good measure isn't going to be nearly as effective as the din of people screaming at the tops of their lungs.

For the most part we have make loud noises during important times down.  What's the plan during offense? What's the plan during pay games? What's the plan for the majority of the crowd who won't know what elaborate thing we're trying to do is?

If you want do next level stuff, more power to you. We're not even doing HS level stuff is the point.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

At what point do you not want the U to eat the money?

If some people from Iowa want to come over, I believe they will just as likely buy the 100 level behind the basket seats.

If the department's answer is they sold 100 tickets on the side for $30/each; while the end seats cost $10 less (for $1,000 total difference), I say they should look at our B1G conference checks and eat the grand rather than have the appearance of what we saw Thursday.

The athletic department, one of the upper echelon programs worth more than most, should not ask us too make an electric, loud, raucous atmosphere unless they are willing to do their small part.

If they want to fill the break seats they could/should offer a program in which season ticket holders could trade in their seats for the break prior to the season opener, pay for the upgrade value difference and then sell the seats traded in. Even though I am in section 119, I would be willing to come on down.

Silverbacked1, you are in the 300 level. Would you (or anyone else up high) be willing to upgrade to behind the bench for the break...or at least for the 2 important conference games?