Do these wins count?

ajb5856

So say we continue what we are doing and win a bunch more games. Would the wins count positively toward the growth of the program? Or would they be downplayed with the "just got hot/Lightning in a bottle" phenomenon?

Also, if the young team hits a down portion of the rollercoaster and loses a couple that we now think should be won, is that better because future shortcomings won't be perceived as poorly? 

Just wondering.

Go Big Red!

3 minutes ago, LK1 said:

This is different.  This is about having a talented roster and letting that talent loose on the court.  

If you took the team names off the jerseys today, was it an upset?

I don't think it was.  I think we're every bit as talented as Maryland.

Agree with this. I think I said this in another thread after the southern win but I'll say it again. I do believe the talent is being unleashed and it's exactly what needed to happen. When Molinari came on board with his gum it up style and pack line defense it seemed we went away from the trapping and transition game. I believe the gummy style is a necessity when you're at a lesser school with lesser talent. You really need to mess the game up to give your lesser athletes a chance in games. 

We have athletes. We went toe to toe with Indiana and Maryland. We have players. I'm glad this staff seems to have realized that they just need to let our athletes go out and play. 

1 minute ago, 49r said:

You don't end a 20-something game win streak in Bloomington and win against Maryland in College Park (who is 26-1 at home in conference play...well 26-2 now) on a fluke.

These kids are for real.

I agree.

We could still end up 9-9 or have weird things happen .... it is a long season and young players are not conaistent.  But you don't fluke 2-0 @indiana and maryland.

We have to keep focused.  The "miles must go" people need to be smacked upside the head at this point though.

1 minute ago, ajb5856 said:

Agree with this. I think I said this in another thread after the southern win but I'll say it again. I do believe the talent is being unleashed and it's exactly what needed to happen. When Molinari came on board with his gum it up style and pack line defense it seemed we went away from the trapping and transition game. I believe the gummy style is a necessity when you're at a lesser school with lesser talent. You really need to mess the game up to give your lesser athletes a chance in games. 

We have athletes. We went toe to toe with Indiana and Maryland. We have players. I'm glad this staff seems to have realized that they just need to let our athletes go out and play. 

Miles made mention in his post game that the Huskers have to get transition points or they wont win many games.

50 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

And we are still playing the pack line defense making the other team (most of the time) take tough shots. We made Melo look below average in the last couple of minutes when he tried to take the game over with drives.

1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

And we are still playing the pack line defense making the other team (most of the time) take tough shots. We made Melo look below average in the last couple of minutes when he tried to take the game over with drives.

I get that. It may be a change in mentality more than anything else. The last two games we have gotten steals and get down the floor. It may be more the desire to get out in transition than a total philosophy change. It also has to do with allowing the young athletes to remain in the game despite making a mistake. Maybe that is more out of necessity than anything else since Gill went down but it's allowing our athletes the freedom to just go out and compete rather than trying so hard to play mistake free within a strict system knowing they could get yanked.

Pack line is probably an overused term.  There are infinite amounts of aggression levels, which should in turn create various levels of give and take on turnover creation versus shot ease.  Seems to me our aggression level has certainly been ramped up a bit.  Given our need to create some easy baskets, this was very smart.  It is small sample size, so possible it is just fluky on getting steals, but to my eyes it sure looks like we have ramped up the level of pressure. 

2 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Pack line is probably an overused term.  There are infinite amounts of aggression levels, which should in turn create various levels of give and take on turnover creation versus shot ease.  Seems to me our aggression level has certainly been ramped up a bit.  Given our need to create some easy baskets, this was very smart.  It is small sample size, so possible it is just fluky on getting steals, but to my eyes it sure looks like we have ramped up the level of pressure. 

The pack line is an overused and often misused term. It is something people now use to describe any sagging M-4-M but it is a specific defense with specific rules for post play, rotation and recovery that was "created" by Dick Bennett at Wisconsin and now brought to prominence by his son at Virginia. We are still playing the packline. 

After many of our earlier losses, there were many individuals who acknowledged that despite those losses, we could see exponential growth within the program.  Also acknowledged was going to be the propensity of an early season roller coaster.  At this point, I no longer see freshmen as freshmen.  They have gained enough experience to get beyond that early season inconsistency.  The only remaining concerns I have for our freshmen are (1) what happens when the league starts to adjust scouting reports; can the freshmen adjust their games as necessary.  And (2) there tends to be a wall that freshmen can hit as the season nears the end.  The constant pressure and pounding can take a toll on players that haven't been thru that grind.  We shall see.  Good things are happening at this point.

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

After many of our earlier losses, there were many individuals who acknowledged that despite those losses, we could see exponential growth within the program.  Also acknowledged was going to be the propensity of an early season roller coaster.  At this point, I no longer see freshmen as freshmen.  They have gained enough experience to get beyond that early season inconsistency.  The only remaining concerns I have for our freshmen are (1) what happens when the league starts to adjust scouting reports; can the freshmen adjust their games as necessary.  And (2) there tends to be a wall that freshmen can hit as the season nears the end.  The constant pressure and pounding can take a toll on players that haven't been thru that grind.  We shall see.  Good things are happening at this point.

All valid points.  Hopefully not all the freshman hit their wall at the same time.  Don't forget about the Sophomore slumps we sometimes hear about too.  Of course this is not exclusive to Nebrasketball and could effect other teams as well.

Here's a thought, maybe Coach Miles can invite Coach Cook in to talk to the team about the grind as its probably similar in volleyball as it is in basketball.  If not talk to the team directly maybe Coach Miles can pick his brain a bit.

Obviously it's huge for us to win on the road in the conference like this.

In the overall big picture this would have been the same as us beating Gardner Webb and one of VT/Clemson but losing to Maryland and Indiana. In that big picture view, we are where a lot of us expected to be....though you have to admit it's been an unsuspected journey so far.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Obviously it's huge for us to win on the road in the conference like this.

In the overall big picture this would have been the same as us beating Gardner Webb and one of VT/Clemson but losing to Maryland and Indiana. In that big picture view, we are where a lot of us expected to be....though you have to admit it's been an unsuspected journey so far.

I'd equate the two road wins to negate G-W plus VT & Clemson. Just need to take care of the home games in the next week to *prove* these past 2 were not fluky in nature.

Winning two B1G road games are more important than G-W as well as VT/Clem. Obviously it would be nice to have 2 or 3 more wins, but since that didn't happen in the non-confeence, Nebraska now needs to get several more W's & the 1st two road games are hopefully a sign that *many* more will be in the offing. Thus, the importance of the 2 B1G ones to start conference play.

39 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'd equate the two road wins to negate G-W plus VT & Clemson. Just need to take care of the home games in the next week to *prove* these past 2 were not fluky in nature.

37 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Winning two B1G road games are more important than G-W as well as VT/Clem. Obviously it would be nice to have 2 or 3 more wins, but since that didn't happen in the non-confeence, Nebraska now needs to get several more W's & the 1st two road games are hopefully a sign that *many* more will be in the offing. Thus, the importance of the 2 B1G ones to start conference play.

Proving things aren't fluky nor giving signs don't matter for a tournament resume though. You need a combination of good wins and lack of bad losses. Winning the first two in conference is important simply because we need so many.

Whether or not we're seeing a team coming together is a semi-related aspect of what these wins count for