uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 14 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

19 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

5-0 when Horne plays 10+ minutes

Interesting stat.  One thing that's bothering me right now in regards to Horne, Roby and Jordy are all the "I told you so's" saying how obvious it was those guys should have played more sooner.  I tend to think that Miles did a good job of bringing them along at the right pace that has them playing well now.  If we had played them too much too early we could have lost another game or two and completely killed their confidence.  As we've seen, confidence is huge for this team and with the schedule we've had I think Miles did the right thing bringing the freshmen along more slowly than some think they should have.  I'd never want to be a coach at this level - you will always be second guessed by people that think they know more than you based on watching only games, not practices.

35 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Nebraska moves to 7-1 when Evan Taylor plays 15+ minutes

Interesting.  I will admit that I am one that kind of bashed Taylor at time.  I do think there are times he hurts us by trying to do too much offensively on his own.  But more recently I think he has done a better job of playing within himself and focusing on his role.  When he does that he is effective and with Gill out we definitely need to be getting good minutes from Taylor.   Maybe part of this is that when Taylor plays his role he gets 15+ minutes - but when he tries to create offense for himself out of the system he spends more time on the bench?

Just now, uneblinstu said:

This is fascinating to me. Something I certainly did not see coming.

I didn't either.

I think it would be better if we could get everyone else going to where he's playing 10-20 instead of 20-30 because of his obvious lack of shooting ability but he brings size on defense and isn't afraid to shoot or drive...like with Benny you could see the hesitation...with Taylor it's not there.  He's like some David Rivers/Benny Parker hybrid.

Maybe the biggest thing is he seems like he's that calming leadership voice like you had with Leslee or Lance Jeter...he's almost always in the right place, blocking out guys so others can get rebounds, he's always talking to everyone, he's doing stuff like waving his arms when the guys first got into that 1-3-1.  If you're looking for how a team gets better when they lose an individually superior player in Andrew White it very well could be Taylor getting more out of his teammates.  I also could be completely off on this so feel free to knock me down a peg here.

I'd love to hear the full story on how we found this guy. 

32 minutes ago, Buglem said:

Interesting stat.  One thing that's bothering me right now in regards to Horne, Roby and Jordy are all the "I told you so's" saying how obvious it was those guys should have played more sooner.  I tend to think that Miles did a good job of bringing them along at the right pace that has them playing well now.  If we had played them too much too early we could have lost another game or two and completely killed their confidence.  As we've seen, confidence is huge for this team and with the schedule we've had I think Miles did the right thing bringing the freshmen along more slowly than some think they should have.  I'd never want to be a coach at this level - you will always be second guessed by people that think they know more than you based on watching only games, not practices.

Hell we are second guessed when we write on here!:blink:

35 minutes ago, Buglem said:

I would agree with this. i think he thought they also needed to be better at D-FENSE before they got more minutes.  But they are doing well now.

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

In the last 17 minutes of the game we didn't score unless it was in the paint or at the FT line.

Actually this should have been 

In the last 17 minutes of the game we didn't score unless it was at the rim or at the FT line.

We only had 2 makes in the second half that weren't at the rim and they were in the paint.

Thought I would go back to the Scrimmage notes about the players:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hard to find anything negative to say.  Here are some thoughts :

*  Tai looked pretty smooth.  You can tell he is a senior.  He showed he can still take it to the right...but can he go left.  Jury is still out.

*  MJ is much bigger.  He actually looked good on one dribble drive.  He played most of the night against Jordy because...

*  Ed was mia.

*  Nick show nothing new.  He will be a glue type player.

*  Glynn was present and played okay, nothing really stood out.

*  Jack was chatty,  he was also shooting lights out.  Excellent to see because we need that shooter.

*  Zay is still rusty.  No question.  But oh boy, this kid has talent.  When he rounds into shape we are going to love this kid.  His upper body is great.  Is he still growing?  He is at least 6'8".

*  Jordy has a good lower half but his upper body is likely a year away.  That said he will play a lot of quality minutes for us.  Man,  he is gifted.

*  Horne was one of two good surprises for my group.  I won't say who was sitting to my right side but we were giggling like school girls when watching him.  I swear he is not the same player we recruited.

*  my second big surprise was Evan.  The dude is a playa.  

*  Gill looked rusty.  

No clue as to the starters.  I could easily see various rotations at the beginning of the year.  I would suggest that Tai will be a starter.  Perhaps the others will be MJ, Glynn...and then who knows.  May I add that Zay won two of three jump balls.  When he went against MJ, MJ won the jump.

There you have it.  I was very happy with what I witnessed tonight.  And the CUBS are up 7-0

Edited by huskercwg

Patience is the art of hoping ~ Luc de Clapiers 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

You just about can't help but be encouraged by watching Jordy go 5-6 from the floor and pull down 8 rebounds.  He has a lot to learn yet, but he's going to be a very good one before too long.  He has good hands and is very creative with the ball when he gets it in deep.  Good footwork, good touch, fantastic size.  Looked lost at times, but he's a true frosh without a real game under his belt yet.  He did things tonight you never saw from Jake Hammond.

Glynn didn't score much if at all but dished 6 assists (mostly to Jack McVeigh) to one turnover.  Tai looks like he's ready to build off of last year.  Speaking of McVeigh, Andrew who?

This recruiting class looked damn solid and I'm convinced there's not a stiff among them.  Was downright giddy watching Jeriah Horne.  Holy smokes that kid got game.  And any worry that Evan Taylor was a wasted scholarship just trying to fill a spot should have been laid to rest.  He might not be a great shooter, but he's probably the backup point right now, plays more than adequate defense, and appears to be able to score well enough to force a defense to guard him.

Even with the loss of Shields and White, I think we're better than a year ago.  Was very encouraged by what I saw tonight.  Very encouraged.

Edited by Norm Peterson