uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 14 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

Aggressive to the basket and around the basket...love it.

Despite allowing a dude to go off at the 3-point line, what a great job on defense.

Despite struggling shooting the ball, including at the FT line, we did enough to win...on the flippin road.

Despite bad halves by a few players, we overcame and won...on the flippin road.

We actually had a Jack sighting...but Isaiah and Jeriah came hard off the bench and played exceptionally well.

MJ earned some respect by the announcers...and hopefully from the Husker "fans" that have been doubters.

Ed was sort of called out for not kicking the ball out more often...I believe the comment was that he only has five assists.  But oh man, he still is a beast.

Tai and Glynn continue to play well enough that they should be in the discussion for one of the better back courts...at least in the Big Ten.

Decent win :rolleyes:

Was trying to come up with another game NU has played with a huge 10-0 or more run this late to flip the outcome, couldn't come up with one. I mean nearly every possession on both ends over the last 5-6 minutes went our way today. That's unreal.

Similar games that we won that I could think of:

• NU had that huge comeback at Devaney against Iowa in Miles' first season, down by 15 or so at halftime, but I think we cut the lead much earlier than we did today. Talley hit the big jumper late I believe. (Also last time we beat the Herkies I think.)
  • NU had a big comeback vs Indiana in the first season in the B1G at home under Doc. Seems like that one started pretty late like today, maybe 8 or 9 minutes to go, but I'm sure Indiana scored a few times in there.
  • NU had a big run in the win at MSU last season, seems like it was more than 10-0 midway thru second half, but not late like today.
  • NU finished the game with a nice run in the win at MSU in 13/14, but I think it was more like 11-2, 12-2, something like that. Probably the closest one to what we did today, although that run blew the game open, wasn't a rally from a big deficit.

And on the flip side we had that loss to TAM at Devaney under Doc in 08/09, blew a huge early second half lead, but seems like the Ags closed the deficit much earlier than we did today.

We did nearly do the same thing to the Terps last season at the B1G tourney, weren't we down 20+ in that game midway in the 2nd half and got it to 6 and forced a miss before a horrible call cost us possession with 90 sec or so to go?

Anyone remember one we won quite like this previously? I'm probably missing an obvious one.

Edited by throwback

I have to admit, I turned the game off when we got down double digits with, I believe, 9:00 minutes to go or so.  I came back in the midst of our run.  Ending the game on a 14-0 run, are you serious?!  Maryland didn't score for the final 6:47?!  W...T....F.  Did that just happen?  Great effort today.

I was going to be happy with a split, and really expected to lose both games, this is kind of uncharted territory for this program.

Probably wont have teams look past us any longer, the innocent rise is always easier than maintaining the success (see 2014-2015 season on how not to handle expectations).  This program usually doesn't have many expectations placed on it so it will be interesting to see how we do from here on out. 

Just worry about Iowa now.  Heck probably should just worry about next practice and work on getting better, you know the saying, "day by day, we get better and better".

I hope the Vault is full and loud on Thursday.  Have to protect the home court.

5 hours ago, BugeaterZ said:

I'm not one who has posted much though I've lurked consistently the entire Miles Era and a bit before. I did announce my Miles skepticism for the first time after the Gardner-Webb debacle but I'd say he's done enough to put me all the way back in his corner. 

I hope you don't punch me Norm, in case we should meet someday. 

No sweat.  I guarantee you weren't on the list.  And, besides, these days my punch doesn't pack much of a wallop, so ...

47 minutes ago, throwback said:

Was trying to come up with another game NU has played with a huge 10-0 or more run this late to flip the outcome, couldn't come up with one. I mean nearly every possession on both ends over the last 5-6 minutes went our way today. That's unreal.

Similar games that we won that I could think of:

• NU had that huge comeback at Devaney against Iowa in Miles' first season, down by 15 or so at halftime, but I think we cut the lead much earlier than we did today. Talley hit the big jumper late I believe. (Also last time we beat the Herkies I think.)
  • NU had a big comeback vs Indiana in the first season in the B1G at home under Doc. Seems like that one started pretty late like today, maybe 8 or 9 minutes to go, but I'm sure Indiana scored a few times in there.
  • NU had a big run in the win at MSU last season, seems like it was more than 10-0 midway thru second half, but not late like today.
  • NU finished the game with a nice run in the win at MSU in 13/14, but I think it was more like 11-2, 12-2, something like that. Probably the closest one to what we did today, although that run blew the game open, wasn't a rally from a big deficit.

And on the flip side we had that loss to TAM at Devaney under Doc in 08/09, blew a huge early second half lead, but seems like the Ags closed the deficit much earlier than we did today.

We did nearly do the same thing to the Terps last season at the B1G tourney, weren't we down 20+ in that game midway in the 2nd half and got it to 6 and forced a miss before a horrible call cost us possession with 90 sec or so to go?

Anyone remember one we won quite like this previously? I'm probably missing an obvious one.

The best comeback of all time was in the Big 8 tournament against Oklahoma in '91.  Maybe not from the greatest deficit, but with a lot on the line against a top-notch foe.  And we were at least 10 points down in that one with, gosh, under 5 to play?

Love the Bleacher Report, don't you?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2653463-predicting-the-2016-17-big-ten-college-basketball-standings/page/2

14. Nebraska Cornhuskers

You know things are bad when a team is projected to finish behind Rutgers, but our tiebreaker for last place in the Big Ten was Nebraska and Rutgers, which only face each other once this season and it's a road game for the 'Huskers. Between Shavon Shields graduating and Andrew White III deciding in July to transfer out of the program, Nebraska is at least destined for a third consecutive sub-.500 season.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The best comeback of all time was in the Big 8 tournament against Oklahoma in '91.  Maybe not from the greatest deficit, but with a lot on the line against a top-notch foe.  And we were at least 10 points down in that one with, gosh, under 5 to play?

Yes, good call - crazy entertaining game.