Nebraska (6-6) vs. Indiana (10-2) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

Here's what is happening.

Jordy is starting to become less of a defensive liability.  He's becoming marginally effective, and that helps spell MJ and Ed.

Horne has found some offense.  Having that third scoring threat makes lots of other great things happen.

Roby is starting to see the game slow down for him.  That is likely due to his health getting back to full strength.

If we can get Jack to pull out of his sophomore slump, good things could happen for this team.

Horne is 7-11 from 3 in the last 2 games.  That was something this team was missing, as evidenced by the 28 % from deep.  In his previous 10 games, he was 2-10 from 3.  McVeigh is very capable of going on a stretch like Horne has.  Jordy is learning, he went up against a very good player, and helped hold him to 5 of 12 shooting.  He just needs to build some strength to help him go inside against those guys. 

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Horne is 7-11 from 3 in the last 2 games.  That was something this team was missing, as evidenced by the 28 % from deep.  In his previous 10 games, he was 2-10 from 3.  McVeigh is very capable of going on a stretch like Horne has.  Jordy is learning, he went up against a very good player, and helped hold him to 5 of 12 shooting.  He just needs to build some strength to help him go inside against those guys. 

i guess it's better late than never with horne, i but i have to wonder how it took this long for him to start playing.

I love reading these after the games (well at least after wins).

Great all around team win, outstanding mental toughness and the young guys played like Vets.

Everyone who is so tough on MJ will be apologizing down the road, bank on that. We need him, he does a lot of little things and his shot will come around at some point. Just needs to work thru it like a lot of young guys do. 

12 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i guess it's better late than never with horne, i but i have to wonder how it took this long for him to start playing.

Guys have to earn playing time and part of that is not being a huge liability on defense. Not to mention knowing where to be and being comfortable on offense. If the younger guys were playing major minutes earlier then you likely have losses to LA Tech and Dayton, not to mention not playing UCLA

Just now, Art Vandalay said:

Great all around team win, outstanding mental toughness and the young guys played like Vets.

Everyone who is so tough on MJ will be apologizing down the road, bank on that. We need him, he does a lot of little things and his shot will come around at some point. Just needs to work thru it like a lot of young guys do. 

Agreed, Jake plays hard so good things will happen. If he would stop the power dribble every time he touches the ball would help dramatically though

I have a confession to make. I went trolling around on some Indiana message boards, yes, the same thing I would complain about someone doing here! However, the general consensus seems to be that we were essentially standing on our heads tonight.  

I'm not buying that. We did shoot 50% from behind the arc, and 48% from the field, but I wouldn't call that a standing on your head type of performance! Good performance yes, but I don't feel that we shot lights out tonight. We did other good things to keep us in this game.  Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Lifetimesker said:

I have a confession to make. I went trolling around on some Indiana message boards, yes, the same thing I would complain about someone doing here! However, the general consensus seems to be that we were essentially standing on our heads tonight.  

I'm not buying that. We did shoot 50% from behind the arc, and 48% from the field, but I wouldn't call that a standing on your head type of performance! Good performance yes, but I don't feel that we shot lights out tonight. We did other good things to keep us in this game.  Thoughts? 

Ironically, I felt the whole time that defense is what won us the game tonight.

2 minutes ago, Lifetimesker said:

Given the evidence thus far this season, I can see why they would have that opinion. But, I agree with you - we played well, but I consider it playing up to our capability.

Having a stretch of 4+ scoreless minutes at the end of the 1st half and giving up a 20-4 run doesn't sound like "standing on our heads" to me.  I think the tone was set in the 1st 15 minutes of the 1st half. Not sure I've seen a team play any harder. 

We went back to a style of play that likely surprised Indiana a bit.  If you scroll through the thread the ebbs and flow of the action is articulated.  When we played an aggressive style of offense, we hit our shots and performed well.  When we slowed things down, we struggled offensively.  Those who do not follow Nebraska hoops may have thought we were incapable of playing at that level.  But we did many of these same things against KU in the second half, and UCLA and Clemson in the first half and Dayton throughout the game.  For the most part, that is how we played offensively against Southern.  When we play the way we are capable of playing, we will beat a lot of teams.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Agree