Eric Johnson

hhcdave

Completely random question that is mostly off topic - but I was going through the old Utah Jazz roster from 1989-1990 when I briefly lived in Utah as a kid, and just now realized that was the same Eric Johnson on the court as "our" Eric Johnson. Just one season in the NBA and "poof" - gone.

Does anybody recall much about him as a player, and even more importantly, does anyone have any clue of his whereabouts these days? Have asked a few former players on my speed dial and heard nothing. Suppose I could dig more but wanted to hear your memories and see if YOU knew much about what he's up to today!!!

Any help and memories are greatly appreciated.

I remember he was a heck of a player and related to Vinnie Johnson. I do remember he was with the Jazz overlapping with Bart Kofoed I think. I remember there being another backup pg on Utah's roster who played ahead of Eric and I was disappointed every time the other guy got minutes instead of Eric.

A little googling shows me it was Delaney Rudd taking those minutes. Sorry I don't have more Eric specific info.

Eric was Vinnie's younger brother, and he had some good moments here.  He had an NBA body, but not quite quick enough and didn't shoot it consistently.  I was surprised he had a cup of coffee in the NBA.

One of my memories of Eric is him being on the receiving end of one of Danny's in your face tirades during an open practice.  By comparison, this one made Pelini look like a tabby cat sitting on grandma's lap in a rocking chair.  Eric took it like a man. 

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/56417/NO-NBA-NEPOTISM-JOHNSON-HAS-TO-EARN-CAREER-ON-HIS-OWN.html?pg=all

This is a pretty good article on Eric...by the way, I have to agree with HB about Danny.  His anger outbursts would make Doc and Bo look like pikers.  I guess Danny had a cup of coffee under Al McGuire -- so he learned from a good one.

IIRC, Eric opened his Sr year with back to back 30 point games.   I thought here we go this guys really going to a stud this year.   He ended up with a good year, not great though.  I remember being very surprised that he stuck on with the Jazz that next year.