Jump to content
bkamler

Miles comnent after Southern game was very disconcerting.

Recommended Posts

When commenting about the Southern game Miles said we were playing  small" in order to match up with them.

 

We were at home playing a team that was basically paid big bucks to come in and lose to us and we go "small" to match up with them? How about we play our bigs and let them try to match up with us?

 

Tsimanga had 6 points and 5 boards in 14 minutes. Projected to 30 minutes he would have had 13 points and 11 rebounds. 

 

Morrow had 8 points and 3 boards and 1 block in 17 minutes. Over 30 minutes that projects to 14 points, 5 boards and 2 blocks.

 

Those stats merit more minutes not less.  Neither had foul problems so it was a coaches decision to bench them.

 

i am amazed that Miles felt the need to "match up" to Southern who had a 4-7 record with wins coming against Tennessee Tech, Paul Quinn, Florida A and M and Ecclesia College!

 

As to Horne's breakout game and previous lack of playing time due to defensive deficiencies per Miles I would never sit a guy who was hustling but struggling on D if I thought he would out score the guy he's guarding. Simple math In my opinion.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

We've been doing that all season. That's one of the main problems with being overly focused on defense, perhaps - you are more concerned with avoiding mismatches the other team has than exploiting the ones in your favor on offense.

 

A lot of the subbing out for defense hasn't been about avoiding mismatches, or if someone generally is an average defender.  It has mainly been due to very specific, glaring mistakes.  Often on plays that had been practiced against, and the mistake showed the light bulb going on.  It's easy for fans to say "well just focus more on offense", but for a coach it's a little bit tougher.  When a guy keeps making mental errors it shows he's not ready.  And playing time can be the only way to get players' attention.  All coaches would agree you have to let guys play through mistakes and you can't pull them after every one, but if a guy keeps making the same mistakes, it's hard to keep him on the floor.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HB said:

 

A lot of the subbing out for defense hasn't been about avoiding mismatches, or if someone generally is an average defender.  It has mainly been due to very specific, glaring mistakes.  Often on plays that had been practiced against, and the mistake showed the light bulb going on.  It's easy for fans to say "well just focus more on offense", but for a coach it's a little bit tougher.  When a guy keeps making mental errors it shows he's not ready.  And playing time can be the only way to get players' attention.  All coaches would agree you have to let guys play through mistakes and you can't pull them after every one, but if a guy keeps making the same mistakes, it's hard to keep him on the floor.   

 

Wow, spoken like a true coach.  Also not so much against Southern.  But against G-W his man had two wide open dunks on back to back times down the floor due to how he/we defended the pick and roll with Jordy in there.  I think we might have seen a Northwestern type of deal if he was allowed to still play.

Edited by Silverbacked1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be completely honest, my biggest concern is that we don't have an established rotation going into conference play.  Heck, we don't even have our startling lineup figured out.  Early on in the season, I understand mixing and matching lineups to try and see what works best, however I would have liked to see us have our starting lineup and 9 man rotation figured out by the Southern Game. 

 

Horne:  In the first 11 games (appeared in 10), Jeriah Horne scored a total of 14 points in 65 minutes.  Against Southern he scored 18 in 18 minutes.  What's his role?

Morrow:  Sets a career high in rebounds (18) and ties career high in blocks (4) in just 28 minutes against Garner-Webb.  Against Southern he plays 17 minutes.  We need his energy and rebounding.  Would like to see him averaging around 30 minutes per game; currently averaging 24.5

 

My Starting Lineup:

G: Tai Webster (17.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg)

G: Glynn Watson Jr. (12.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg)

G: Evan Taylor (3.4 ppg, 1.8 rbg)

F: Ed Morrow Jr. (10.3 ppg, 8.9 rpg)

F: Michael Jacobson (5.7 ppg, 5.8 ppg): Hardest to plug in starting lineup.  Would like to see him STOP shooting 3's.

*If not Jacobson, I'd go with Gill, but that makes us a relatively small lineup.

 

Bench:

C: Tshimanga

F: Roby

G: Gill

F: Horne

F: McVeigh

 

I would like to see a 9-man rotation, but I couldn't justify reducing McVeigh to garbage minutes (yet...)

 

Trending up:

1. Anton Gill

2. Evan Taylor

3. Jeriah Horne?

 

Trending Down:

1. Jack McVeigh

2. Michael Jacobson

 

Odd Man out:

1. Nick Fuller

 

Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2016 at 11:05 AM, BjoeHusker said:

 

F: Michael Jacobson (5.7 ppg, 5.8 ppg): Hardest to plug in starting lineup.  Would like to see him STOP shooting 3's.

Let the prophecy be told: a day will come when we'll be very happy that Michael Jacobson did not give up on shooting 3's and that he stuck with it. 

 

Young man has a seriously pure shot. It's just not going in right now. I don't understand it, and I'm sure he's very frustrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Let the prophecy be told: a day will come when we'll be very happy that Michael Jacobson did not give up on shooting 3's and that he stuck with it. 

 

Young man has a seriously pure shot. It's just not going in right now. I don't understand it, and I'm sure he's very frustrated. 

 

Maybe because he isn't a 3 point shooter?  He would do well to stick to a mid-range game.

 

Rick Smits had a pure shot, but he wasn't a 3 point shooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

 

Maybe because he isn't a 3 point shooter?  He would do well to stick to a mid-range game.

 

Rick Smits had a pure shot, but he wasn't a 3 point shooter.

I have watched MJ shoot for multiple years.  The kid has a pure shot and he can certainly shoot and make 3-pointers.  He is allowed to shoot them because he does hit them consistently in practice.  If he couldn't hit them, he would not be allowed to shoot them.  But I can agree that he has not hit them in games during the first 12 games this year.  Then again, not many of our players are hitting them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert by any means, just a casual observer like most, though I've played plenty of pickup in my day :) But when I watch his shot, his form is fundamentally very sound.  It looks like it should go in way more than it has. But too often it's a little flat and short.  It certainly doesn't have anything to do with his strength and conditioning.  It looks to me like his release point is a little too late.  I think he's holding on to his shot just a fraction of a second too long, which tells me  he's probably arm aiming.  I know they go over their shooting forms in film sessions, he's making them in practice, but it's a lot harder to overcome the mental block in games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hal9000 said:

I'm no expert by any means, just a casual observer like most, though I've played plenty of pickup in my day :) But when I watch his shot, his form is fundamentally very sound.  It looks like it should go in way more than it has. But too often it's a little flat and short.  It certainly doesn't have anything to do with his strength and conditioning.  It looks to me like his release point is a little too late.  I think he's holding on to his shot just a fraction of a second too long, which tells me  he's probably arm aiming.  I know they go over their shooting forms in film sessions, he's making them in practice, but it's a lot harder to overcome the mental block in games.

I'm sure it just a verbiage thing but I don't know what you mean by "arm aiming." Your arm should go straight to the hoop. His shoulders are forward making the shot flatter. Push the shoulders back and the shooting arm comes up creating more arch. 

 

LPGAYWWROFTGVJV.20151123032803.JPG

 

You can see the forward lean. He needs to jump forward but keep the shoulders back. For example:

usa-today-8309028.0.jpg

 

or:

 

air-jordan-11-retro-concord.jpg

Edited by Dean Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2016 at 4:55 PM, Dean Smith said:

I'm sure it just a verbiage thing but I don't know what you mean by "arm aiming." Your arm should go straight to the hoop. His shoulders are forward making the shot flatter. Push the shoulders back and the shooting arm comes up creating more arch. 

 

LPGAYWWROFTGVJV.20151123032803.JPG

 

You can see the forward lean. He needs to jump forward but keep the shoulders back. For example:

usa-today-8309028.0.jpg

 

or:

 

air-jordan-11-retro-concord.jpg

If he was looking to have me tweak his shot (I'll just assume he reads this board and has me followed 😉) - I'd try to get him to create said lean, and I'd like to get his entire body a bit more turned. I've never agreed with 10 toes to the rim. The greats have their body turned with their shooting shoulder/side ahead of their weak side. Getting toes, hips, shoulders "square to the rim," would imply that you'd have to either 1. Stand slightly off-centered or 2. Have to release the ball from the middle of your head. Great shooters aren't square, they're slightly turned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

If he was looking to have me tweak his shot (I'll just assume he reads this board and has me followed 😉) - I'd try to get him to create said lean, and I'd like to get his entire body a bit more turned. I've never agreed with 10 toes to the rim. The greats have their body turned with their shooting shoulder/side ahead of their weak side. Getting toes, hips, shoulders "square to the rim," would imply that you'd have to either 1. Stand slightly off-centered or 2. Have to release the ball from the middle of your head. Great shooters aren't square, they're slightly turned. 

Coach K and Roy have taught toes to 10 o'clock for years. If you look at both Kobe and Micheal, they have the shooting shoulder square to the basket and the toes to 10 o'clock. 

Edited by Dean Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Great hitters have different stances, and not all shooters have the same foot placement.  The purpose of a stance or a take off point is to get the hand or hands in shooting position. 

Hitting a baseball is nothing like shooting a basketball. You have to shoot the ball straight to the hoop if you want it to go in.  You can do that by lining up your body so your shooting motion goes straigjt to the hoop or you can make adjustments to compensate for not being in line. Jamaal Wilkes started with the ball behind his head but the finish was right at the basket. Larry Bird had his toes at 9:00 with his elbow pointed straight at the basket. Lot's of different looking shots but you have to release the ball in a straigjt

lime at the basket. If you're willing to practice enough you can make a lot of different techniques workable but why make it harder than you have to. The more "compensation" to your shot the more

room for error. 

 

There is more to the shot than getting your toes to 10 o'clock but it's a great starting point. I never created anything but I tried to steal from the best. If you think other stances can work just as well, take it up with K and Roy. I would bet over half the high schools in Nebraska teach it that way now and Nebraska is not on the cutting edge of anything but seed corn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 11:29 AM, basketballjones said:

Let the prophecy be told: a day will come when we'll be very happy that Michael Jacobson did not give up on shooting 3's and that he stuck with it. 

 

Young man has a seriously pure shot. It's just not going in right now. I don't understand it, and I'm sure he's very frustrated. 

 

If Tai can shoot 35% from 3, anyone can.  That being said, Jacobson is currently shooting worse through his first 2 years than a not great at shooting Tai Webster through 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

 

If Tai can shoot 35% from 3, anyone can.  That being said, Jacobson is currently shooting worse through his first 2 years than a not great at shooting Tai Webster through 2.

Tai had, and still has, major flaws in his shooting stroke. He has a major timing/fluidity issue that I've seen in a lot of guys as athletic as he is that tend to be better jump shooters, but struggle from 3pt. Him making as many as he is right now is simply a credit to how hard he has worked on it and compensating for some of those flaws. 

 

Everytime Jacobsen releases the ball I think it's going in... and it just doesn't. He has to keep shooting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Coach K and Roy have taught toes to 10 o'clock for years. If you look at both Kobe and Micheal, they have the shooting shoulder square to the basket and the toes to 10 o'clock. 

 

Not contradicting you at all but I've always looked at it as rotating your chest slightly to the left of the target for a right-handed shooter.  I toe-out a little when I stand in my natural standing position, so five of my toes (on my right foot) might be directly in line to the hoop and my other five toes (on my left foot) might be more toward 10 O'clock, but if I'm shooting a FT, for example, if I'm standing in good position, my chest will be "facing" the first rebounder on the left side of the lane.  That puts my right arm in a good anatomic position to get my shoulder, elbow, forearm, and wrist in position so that my arm can hinge and unhinge directly in line with the basket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 11:29 AM, basketballjones said:

Let the prophecy be told: a day will come when we'll be very happy that Michael Jacobson did not give up on shooting 3's and that he stuck with it. 

 

Young man has a seriously pure shot. It's just not going in right now. I don't understand it, and I'm sure he's very frustrated. 

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×