Franny being Franny

AuroranHusker

Fran being the typical boorish Fran.  What is worse Fran, a team playing through the final horn, or a team and coaching staff walking off the court after a contest without shaking the opponents hands???  Seriously, what the hell is he thinking?  If I were the Big Ten Commissioner, the dude would be sanctioned. 

Someone posted somewhere that it is a fake news story.    It actually had little to do with the ending and mostly to do with dirty events by their opponent's players that occurred towards the end of that game.  

C'mon people.   Stop falling for sensational headlines the media outlets report to get activity on their sites.

13 hours ago, eastofomaha said:

Someone posted somewhere that it is a fake news story.    It actually had little to do with the ending and mostly to do with dirty events by their opponent's players that occurred towards the end of that game.  

C'mon people.   Stop falling for sensational headlines the media outlets report to get activity on their sites.

Might be but see how your reputation can cause people to think one way or the other before we have all the facts?  

Edited by Silverbacked1

16 hours ago, eastofomaha said:

According to my buddy who is a diehard Hawkeye fan, this is not a fake story.  It is, however, a story that took a slightly different direction once Fran started to take heat.  Fran is not to be defended for his actions in this case. There may have been some aggressive plays during the game that irked Fran, but it was the ending that ultimately set him off.  Give me a break.  If I recall, the opposing coach had a Hawkeye background, I may be wrong, but that seems to stick with me. 

From USA Today:

McCaffery was irritated with what he considered a few unnecessary and chippy plays in the closing moments of a game that Iowa led by 16 points with three minutes to go. North Dakota's Corey Baldwin tried for a steal and score with only three seconds left when Nicholas Baer was holding the ball to run out the clock and end the game.

"I wasn't pleased with how the game ended and the things that happened," McCaffery said. "I don't think they teach that kind of stuff, but I was not having it. That's not the way to play."

Edited by huskercwg

47 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

According to my buddy who is a diehard Hawkeye fan, this is not a fake story.  It is, however, a story that took a slightly different direction once Fran started to take heat.  Fran is not to be defended for his actions in this case. There may have been some aggressive plays during the game that irked Fran, but it was the ending that ultimately set him off.  Give me a break.  If I recall, the opposing coach had a Hawkeye background, I may be wrong, but that seems to stick with me. 

From USA Today:

McCaffery was irritated with what he considered a few unnecessary and chippy plays in the closing moments of a game that Iowa led by 16 points with three minutes to go. North Dakota's Corey Baldwin tried for a steal and score with only three seconds left when Nicholas Baer was holding the ball to run out the clock and end the game.

"I wasn't pleased with how the game ended and the things that happened," McCaffery said. "I don't think they teach that kind of stuff, but I was not having it. That's not the way to play."

Your buddy must not be as big of a fan as you think or you must have misinterpreted what he said.   I decided to check the actual game threads in the Iowa message boards to discover it was fake.  In those threads people were angry about some pretty nasty things the opposing players were doing towards the closing moments of the game and they even said Fran yelled at their coach telling them to knock it off before someone gets hurt.  So his decision was to remove the team immediately at the end to avoid something ugly after the game.    So yes, the Big Ten story was fake concerning the reason why he cleared the floor asap after the game.  The quotes selected in the USA Today story show this ("I wasn't pleased with how the game ended"  (meaning the last minute of the game when the game was already decided).  "That's not the way to play" (which is more encompassing of a statement than simply stealing a ball from a player with a second left). 

As I said before, NEVER believe what you read on media sites!    Fake journalism is now an epidemic. 

Edited by eastofomaha

"...McCaffery’s postgame reaction was different from Bohannon’s. Now, McCaffery did tell ESPN’s Jeff Goodman on Wednesday that he regretted what happened after the game and that he texted an apology to Jones afterward.

“I feel bad about it. I have a lot of respect for Brian Jones,” McCaffery told ESPN. “I wish it didn’t happen. I wish I shook hands. … But again, I think Brian Jones is a high-character guy and a heck of a coach. Assistant Jeff Horner is one of the best players ever to play here. I shouldn’t have done it. I feel terrible about what happened.”

McCaffery is a fiery, emotional guy. That is part of it. The end of the game impacted him and it was still visible well after everything cooled down..."  Land of Ten

The point of my responses is to refute the statement that what happened was "fake news."  This is real news, and it says a lot about the character of a man who is supposed to be teaching his kids.  In this article it stated one of Coach Fran's players went up to apologize to a ND player for his actions in earning a technical.  To blame the opposing teams when both teams were chippy is wrong.  To throw up your hands at the end of a game and sulk off the court in a huff, is wrong.  It is simply another example of behavior that should not be tolerated and should have resulted in some sort of reprimand by the Big Ten hierarchy.  Husker fans lived with a coach that sometimes displayed that same boorish behavior.  It was not right when he did it, and it isn't right when Coach Fran does it.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Seems like a good place to go to get unbiased information about coach McCaffery.

Being biased would represent judgment.   The fact the Iowa coach was yelling at the opponent's coach when he believed things were getting out of hand in the final minute is not a judgment, but a factual observation.   Removing players from the court as quickly as possible at the end of the game to defuse the situation suddenly began making sense.

I wish I could take credit for questioning the headline of the story, but it was actually a non-Iowa fan in a sports message board.   It started when an Iowa fan who did not attend the game referenced the article and proceeded to denounce the Iowa coach.   A non-Iowa fan replied by stating there must be something more to that story because the headline didn't make sense.   Walking off the court like that seemed a bit extreme for one unfortunate example of bad sportsmanship by the opposing team.   I had just finished reading a story on the fake news epidemic in our country when I read those posts.   It is an enlightening situation and that's why I wanted to share it with all of you.   The more people aware of what is going on with the news media, the better.

Edited by eastofomaha

Sorry, what Coach Fran did was not fake news.  Fake news stories imitate the style and appearance of real news articles, and they are published on sites designed to look like established newspaper websites or political blogs. The key facts were made up by the authors, but the successful ones sounded just plausible enough to pass the smell test of a significant subset of readers who were already primed to believe outlandish things about a given candidate.

You may very well have the explanations of what occurred down to a T, but what Fran and the team did was not fake news. Coach Fran admits to what he did, admitted what he did was wrong and apologized to the opposing coach for what he did. 

Edited by huskercwg

38 minutes ago, eastofomaha said:

Being biased would represent judgment.   The fact the Iowa coach was yelling at the opponent's coach when he believed things were getting out of hand in the final minute is not a judgment, but a factual observation.   Removing players from the court as quickly as possible at the end of the game to defuse the situation suddenly began making sense.

I wish I could take credit for questioning the headline of the story, but it was actually a non-Iowa fan in a sports message board.   It started when an Iowa fan who did not attend the game referenced the article and proceeded to denounce the Iowa coach.   A non-Iowa fan replied by stating there must be something more to that story because the headline didn't make sense.   Walking off the court like that seemed a bit extreme for one unfortunate example of bad sportsmanship by the opposing team.   I had just finished reading a story on the fake news epidemic in our country when I read those posts.   It is an enlightening situation and that's why I wanted to share it with all of you.   The more people aware of what is going on with the news media, the better.

I get it, you are right, me and the others on here are all wrong.  

You proved to me if you just keep saying the same thing over and over that others finally just give up trying to let you see it from their  point of view and move on, giving you the win.   

But that ain't gonna happen so you win.  

Good for you.  Your a winner! yeah!!

And in the whole scope of the Husker world of sports it really doesn't mean diddle. 

But it might be really important to Iowa fans.  Which I believe is EAST OF OMAHA...  oh now it all fits...

Now down arrow me.

Edited by Silverbacked1

2 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I get it, you are right me and the others on here are all wrong.  

You proved to me if you just keep saying the same thing over and over that others finally just give up trying to let you see it from their  point of view and move on, giving you the win.   

But that ain't gonna happen so you win.  

Good for you.  Your a winner! yeah!!

And in the whole scope of the Husker world of sports it really doesn't mean diddle. 

But it might be really important to Iowa fans.  Which I believe is EAST OF OMAHA...  oh now it all fits...

Says the poster who repeated an apparent self-amusing East Of Omaha reference for the second time, which is actually a line in a classic Bob Seger song.  But knock yourself out by continuing to relish in some reference to "make it all fit" for ya, for the second time, so you can crown yourself the most clever poster.  

14 minutes ago, eastofomaha said:

Says the poster who repeated an apparent self-amusing East Of Omaha reference for the second time, which is actually a line in a classic Bob Seger song.  But knock yourself out by continuing to relish in some reference to "make it all fit" for ya, for the second time, so you can crown yourself the most clever poster.  

You mean the real Bob Seger, wow that is cool.  Sorry I ever thought you were anything but the best.  I mean if you quote Bob then I am never going to challenge you again.  Because I am truely not worthy.

But you might want to reread some of those lyrics before you start tell guys off.  but hey what ever.

6 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

You mean the real Bob Seger, wow that is cool.  Sorry I ever thought you were anything but the best.  I mean if you quote Bob then I am never going to challenge you again.  Because I am truely not worthy.

But you might want to reread some of those lyrics before you start tell guys off.  but hey what ever.

Yeah, I am fan of Seger.   Not that anyone cares, but you seemed infatuated with the screen name, so just wanted to share the reference. 

Perhaps it would be a good time to turn the page. 

15 hours ago, eastofomaha said:

It actually is great song...